Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
Florida is the place where PhDs apply to work at McDonalds, and even they aren't hiring.
Actually, when I was driving to work today, McDonalds had time on the electronic billboard at the corner saying they were having their summer season mass interview/hiring event today, and to Come In Now! (tourista season is summer in the panhandle)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Wendy's by my house is currently hiring 2 closing positions. This allows you to play in the water and sand all day and make money at night. Not a bad deal since playing at the beach is essentially free.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's not really a very great place to be, in addition to high unemployment, the weather and traffic are awful. A lot of people move there thinking it's some sort of utopia, but they often find out quickly that it's not.

Most governments fudge their unemployment #'s, some more than others. They do this b/c if people know the truth, they would either start leaving en masse like people did in Detroit, and not relocate to the area. A group did an independent study in STL and found the true unemployment rate to be 30%. If you think 30% unemployment is not real, check out what it is in Detroit.

50 Percent Unemployment in Detroit - And You Get The House For Nearly Free - CBS MoneyWatch.com
I would say you can realistically put Florida's unemployment between 30 & 40%.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
the real problem is that the job market/economy is always horrible in florida. its not cyclical like in other more relevant parts of the country. it may bounce back from horrible to really bad but thats it. there is just so little significant opportunity that enables a younger person to build a meaningful career. most younger people in florida quickly realize that they will have to work til the day they die in florida as opposed to their friends and family up north on solid career paths who will likely retire around 60 with plenty of money to chill for 20+ years.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsayin View Post
i saw various things & conditions about detriot on tv...50% is really outlandish. i checked the U.S. census bureau regarding each state by state and the mean unemployment rate was anywhere between 11-18%...so ur saying that states either deflate or inflate their employment percentages...now i know why the city is sprawling more public housing projects. if you pay attention to what is happening right outside your door, it explains the political economics surrounding you.
The states do not deflate the numbers, the U.S. Labor Department does. Actually I should say the numbers are deflated selectively. Two different numbers are taken, one is called the U-3 and the other the U-6. The U-6 takes into account supposedly the "underreported"...those who are working part-time or reduced hours, those who have exhausted UC benefits and those who have in essence given up. That number according to the Labor Department as of February is at around 18%. "Independent news agencies" have always reported the smaller numbers from the doctored U-3 report. Independent polls have placed it more in the neighborhood of 22%, with a +/- difference as high as 5% given the inexact science of reaching everyone. One has to figure more toward the plus sign than minus. So in other words roughly 1 in 4 Americans is out of full-time permanent work.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:20 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
the real problem is that the job market/economy is always horrible in florida. its not cyclical like in other more relevant parts of the country. it may bounce back from horrible to really bad but thats it. there is just so little significant opportunity that enables a younger person to build a meaningful career. most younger people in florida quickly realize that they will have to work til the day they die in florida as opposed to their friends and family up north on solid career paths who will likely retire around 60 with plenty of money to chill for 20+ years.
You would never guess from reading some of these posts that Florida has the 4th largest economy among all the states. You wouldn't think there are utility companies and hospitals, schools, factories, railroads, shipping, retail stores and wholesale distributors, law firms, accountants, doctors, car dealers, HVAC companies, carpenters and bricklayers, governments, schools, newspapers, restaurants, trucking companies, entertainment venues, or anything else.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,954 times
I am one of the Florida kids who found that they had to leave their home state to find a decent job. A lot of us aren't making it much better up north either. The cost of living is so much higher than what we are used to, so that even though I may have a job with what I thought was a good salary, I still don't have the money to make ends meet. The rent is higher, you have to pay state taxes up here, and food and gas also cost more. The salaries for someone who may be educated, but don't have a lot of experience aren't that much higher to even it out. The economy sucks in most states. I think you can find a job in Florida, which is what I'm trying to do, but conventional wisdom states that you shouldn't leave one job before having another lined up so that is what I would go by. Also, employment in most states are at-will, not just in Florida. You could get fired and/or laid off with most jobs so you will take that risk with most employment you will find in any state.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Wendy's by my house is currently hiring 2 closing positions. This allows you to play in the water and sand all day and make money at night. Not a bad deal since playing at the beach is essentially free.
That would work for teenagers and college kids who live at home.

And the college kids would be better off getting server jobs.

Anyone else would need a day job as well to even survive.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
What do you have to back up such a figure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I would say you can realistically put Florida's unemployment between 30 & 40%.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I think the problem with the jobs you listed is that the college educated people want desk jobs where they can sit at a computer all day and not do anything physically challenging. There is work out there if you are qualified to do it. However, even if you are qualified, the competition for the jobs that are available is pretty stiff. So, if you are in a certain field it is tough to land the job unless you are very well versed in the position you are seeking.

My company was trying to fill positions, 3 of them. We get applications from people who have no idea what the job is about. They've never worked in marketing before and have zero experience, yet they apply anyway because its an open position. We, like most companies, can't provide on the job training. We need someone who can come in and pick up where the last person left off.

As always, it is easier to get a job if you already have one and that is how we filled our positions. Recruited from other companies. Also, if you've been unemployed for months or longer employers tend to think that you're not trying to find work, thus may not be a suitable candidate for a position that they have open.

You can't use a degree in accounting to work as a carpenter. Then again you can't work as an accounting clerk if you're a carpenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
You would never guess from reading some of these posts that Florida has the 4th largest economy among all the states. You wouldn't think there are utility companies and hospitals, schools, factories, railroads, shipping, retail stores and wholesale distributors, law firms, accountants, doctors, car dealers, HVAC companies, carpenters and bricklayers, governments, schools, newspapers, restaurants, trucking companies, entertainment venues, or anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: