Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Lived in Naples for 24 years, moved to Keene NH in June of this year.. Loved it, still love it, but not so much the winter.. Begun missing the amazing sunsets, bbqing on the beach in January and just warmth.. Moving back June of 08... I think the north can keep the snow.. I'll take the white sand
I am so glad to see you post in this thread. You have been in both places and allot of people will value you opinion.

Congrats on your move back to what I like, sun, sand and warmth!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma123 View Post
Moved to East Tennessee 2 years ago from Florida. Even though Tennessee is very pretty, Honestly they can keep it!!!!!!!!!!!! Miss the beautiful ocean and sunsets in Florida. I know there is alot of negativity about Florida. But there's no place like home. It depends on where you live in Florida. But that goes for any state that you live in. It depends on what you like. Personally I'm a true florida girl. Who misses wearing shorts and sandals. Can't stand wearing winter clothes and the long gloomy days of winter in Tennessee

Thanks for posting in this thread, like Tara you have been in both places and your opinion has allot of value to it.
Where will you move back to?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,608 times
Well....to add my 2 cents to this thread. I grew up in Central Illinois, lived here until I was 19-20 when my life hit a slight "skid". Some friends of mine convinced me to pack up and head to Florida with them. Ended up heading down with them. Spent a little over a year down there. Stayed in Oviedo, Orlando, Belle Glade(for a short time) but mostly in Orlando. Had my issues while I was down there, but mostly because I was young, dumb, stupid...etc. Got a little homesick and headed back up to Central Illinois. That was 10, almost 11 years ago.

Since then it seems I've aquired a "wandering bone". I lived back in my hometown for about a year before moving a little north of there. Met my wife and since then have lived in Missouri, a couple of different towns in Colorado, back to Missouri, back to my home town in Central Illinois for 6 years and currently am in the town a little north of my home town in Illinois where I originally met my wife 8 years ago.

All well and good, but there has been a few underlying things since my wife and I have gotten together. She's heard my stories of my time in Florida. Met quite a few of my friends from there. And it seems at least once or twice a year, the discussion of moving to Florida has come up between us. To the point that it's actually been a serious discussion between us for the past few months. And now....it's gone past the discussion stage and into the looking for work/housing stage. But it seems like that year in Florida has made it take a hold on me. Like a lot of people on here have said, I miss the sights, sounds, smells, people of Florida. But most of all, I think I miss the "feel" of Florida. So apparently, it looks like after all this time, I'm coming back to Florida....soon.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 AM

355 posts, read 990,695 times
I know about that FL "feel" and I miss it. I lived in south FL for 15 years.....loved the sun, the pool, sitting all hot and sweaty by the intracoastal having a nice cold beer, shorts, reefs, tan (I've never been this pale!). We had to move because of my husband's job transfer....we are now living in Western WA.....and can't wait to leave (probably just two years).....it is so rainy and gray. I need some sun!!!!! I think this area is a very hard adjustment coming from FL. And I think my yellow lab has SAD....he needs the sun, too. And he loved swimming around in the pool. We will be back.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 AM

60 posts, read 211,829 times
I was born and raised in Florida. At 30 years old I moved to Chicago,spent 15 years in the Chicago area and have now returned to Florida.
I WILL NOT go north of I-10 ever again!
Even with the massive influx of yankees and their incessant" thats not how its done back home" whining, I still love it here and if you really pay attention you can still find "Old" Florida.
In 45 years of living Ive never heard anyone utter the words " When I retire Im moving to Chicago" or New York or Philly or even Nashville!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgt View Post
I was born and raised in Florida. At 30 years old I moved to Chicago,spent 15 years in the Chicago area and have now returned to Florida.
I WILL NOT go north of I-10 ever again!
Even with the massive influx of yankees and their incessant" thats not how its done back home" whining, I still love it here and if you really pay attention you can still find "Old" Florida.
In 45 years of living Ive never heard anyone utter the words " When I retire Im moving to Chicago" or New York or Philly or even Nashville!
Great point! Me either..

Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 AM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Default When my husband and I retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Great point! Me either..
we are moving to (back) New York. Let me be the first to say it to you.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgt View Post
Chicago is exactly where my husband & I want to eventually retire too Actually, the Lake Forest area outside of Chicago or Lincoln Park. We don't golf or boat but instead love museums, parks, theatres, restaurants, and the arts. I eventually want to get my PhD in educ admin & he wants to get his in military history. There are beyond ample higher educational opportunities in the Chicago area. Not much of that in Fort Myers.

I didn't care for my time in SWFL & only hope my children do not ask to go to Disney World. FL is just not for my husband & me.

To each their own! People need to enjoy their lives TODAY b/c you never know what tommorow will bring...

Old 01-06-2008, 11:40 AM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Default I went once with my kids to Disney World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Chicago is exactly where my husband & I want to eventually retire too Actually, the Lake Forest area outside of Chicago or Lincoln Park. We don't golf or boat but instead love museums, parks, theatres, restaurants, and the arts. I eventually want to get my PhD in educ admin & he wants to get his in military history. There are beyond ample higher educational opportunities in the Chicago area. Not much of that in Fort Myers.

I didn't care for my time in SWFL & only hope my children do not ask to go to Disney World. FL is just not for my husband & me.

To each their own! People need to enjoy their lives TODAY b/c you never know what tommorow will bring...
when they were very little. When my husband took my younger daughter again (older daughter didn't want to go), I stayed home. They both went a couple more times during spring training, but neither I nor my older daughter went those times either.

I had no desire to go to Disney World, or Florida, again.

Yeah, you are right. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 AM

548 posts, read 541,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacker76 View Post
Well....to add my 2 cents to this thread. I grew up in Central Illinois, lived here until I was 19-20 when my life hit a slight "skid". Some friends of mine convinced me to pack up and head to Florida with them. Ended up heading down with them. Spent a little over a year down there. Stayed in Oviedo, Orlando, Belle Glade(for a short time) but mostly in Orlando. Had my issues while I was down there, but mostly because I was young, dumb, stupid...etc. Got a little homesick and headed back up to Central Illinois. That was 10, almost 11 years ago.

Since then it seems I've aquired a "wandering bone". I lived back in my hometown for about a year before moving a little north of there. Met my wife and since then have lived in Missouri, a couple of different towns in Colorado, back to Missouri, back to my home town in Central Illinois for 6 years and currently am in the town a little north of my home town in Illinois where I originally met my wife 8 years ago.

All well and good, but there has been a few underlying things since my wife and I have gotten together. She's heard my stories of my time in Florida. Met quite a few of my friends from there. And it seems at least once or twice a year, the discussion of moving to Florida has come up between us. To the point that it's actually been a serious discussion between us for the past few months. And now....it's gone past the discussion stage and into the looking for work/housing stage. But it seems like that year in Florida has made it take a hold on me. Like a lot of people on here have said, I miss the sights, sounds, smells, people of Florida. But most of all, I think I miss the "feel" of Florida. So apparently, it looks like after all this time, I'm coming back to Florida....soon.
So true, Florida is in our bones now. We made the huge mistake of moving back north and dreaded every day of it. Never, ever, again. You could not get me to live up north again for any amount of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida