Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times

Advertisements

Saturday 26th Today News, Front Page!! I guess they decided not too go threw with the 62% increase in insurance,This was the state run insurance under Citizens I think! I have not read the article yet,waiting for my coffee...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Today 8/25/06.Local news Centeral Florida Orlando Area........
Insurance cost for home owners could go as high as $10,000 a year by 2008!
So this is slowing down new construction along with intrest rate plus impact fees for new homes that range from $1500.00---$8500.00 or more just too get the home statred in construction. Welcome Too Florida.........
STATE REJECTS HIKE IN RATES!! First Floridian Insurance wanted a 63% increase!!!!!!!! See more in Saturday 26th Florida Today Front Page.............

Old 08-26-2006, 08:18 PM

63 posts, read 302,676 times
Homeowners down here are paying more than 10k. I work with with people who are in modest homes paying 6500.00 per year. I am in a TH and renewed on August 16th at 2675.00 per year with Citizens, we are leaving before it gets worse. My wife works part time and earns 22k per year, me 73k per year. I am retiring at age 49 to go back to TN my homestate. I will have to work there also but the money won't be the issue, the insurance will. With my pension, 10 bucks an hour will do me well and I'll be able to keep my place in Colorado and Arizona.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:07 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,396 times
My daughter was paying 700.00 a month for homeowners insurance in Sattelite Beach Fl. I live in Tampa and am told my insurance is going up from 700.00 and starting next year 2900.00. This house was built in 1956 and has never had hurricane damage or any storm damage.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:15 PM

More info on the insurance,from what they said on the news Citzen Insurance which is state run is wanting along with several other insurance companies make it so the home ower would pay a deductable of 2%---up---10% on the face value of the home before insurance kicks in,other words out of pocket.Based on that a 200k home at 8% would set you back$16,000 out of pocket before the carrier starts paying.A average asphalt roof would set you back 10k--14k,you do the math and who gets screwed.......
Not including your preimums you paid for years.........

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 08-28-2006 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Because it's rip off......:( :(

Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
Smile Insurance

Well all I can add is folks get out and vote...read the paper and read where
each candidate stands, watch the debates on T.V. and make up your "own"
mind, not that of your neighbors, etc....Maybe, just maybe someone will come
up with a solution to this insurance nightmare down here..other than that, I
love it here...well except for hurricanes....

Old 08-29-2006, 05:12 PM

44 posts, read 275,308 times
Default Insurance in central FL

I guess I'm lucky.......live in St. Cloud (Osceola cty.) inland, but 2 big lakes in the area. My homeowners ins. is less than $700.00 p. yr., I am not in a flood plain, had 3 hurricanes in 2004 pass thru. Made a claim for roof damage, got a new roof. My taxes are $1,200.00 p. yr. [cut] I left Miami 7 yrs. ago, and wouldn't go back there for anything. Hurricane Andrew about destroyed my life....well, let me say the Dade County Building dept. about did, it was worse dealing w/them to rebuild my totally destroyed house than the hurricane. At least this area hasn't become as bureaucratic and ridiculous as Dade county. I think when it comes to insurance and taxes, people have to remember it's all relative to.........location, price of home,etc. Just like traffic. People say Orlando traffic is horrible........it's all relative, it beats Miami anyday. But, if you lived in Orlando for yrs. and yrs., it has increased, no doubt. Again, so many of these issues are relative to what you are used to, and what factors affect the prices.

Last edited by Marka; 08-30-2006 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-30-2006, 08:14 AM

88 posts, read 413,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post

We should let our elected officials know that if they don't do something, they WILL be voted out of office!
Talk is cheap, and warnings are simply talk. Vote them out of office now as a warning to those coming into office that the job is conditioned on improving the government gouging on property taxes and insurance.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan058 View Post
I guess I'm lucky.......live in St. Cloud (Osceola cty.) inland, but 2 big lakes in the area. My homeowners ins. is less than $700.00 p. yr., I am not in a flood plain, had 3 hurricanes in 2004 pass thru. Made a claim for roof damage, got a new roof. My taxes are $1,200.00 p. yr. [cut] I left Miami 7 yrs. ago, and wouldn't go back there for anything. Hurricane Andrew about destroyed my life....well, let me say the Dade County Building dept. about did, it was worse dealing w/them to rebuild my totally destroyed house than the hurricane. At least this area hasn't become as bureaucratic and ridiculous as Dade county. I think when it comes to insurance and taxes, people have to remember it's all relative to.........location, price of home,etc. Just like traffic. People say Orlando traffic is horrible........it's all relative, it beats Miami anyday. But, if you lived in Orlando for yrs. and yrs., it has increased, no doubt. Again, so many of these issues are relative to what you are used to, and what factors affect the prices.
That rate is just too low. Your renewal date may here been not that long after last years hurricane season ended (mine was in February) and insurers got approval for the huge rate hikes. When your renewal comes around you will either see a big rate hike or be told they will no longer be offering windstorm as was the case with me .

I thought I was one of the lucky ones also, although not as low as yours, till a few days ago when I got the call from my insurance agent informing me they would no longer be offering windstorm insurance.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:52 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
sounds like a sad state of affairs, especially when rising private health insurance premiums are also factored into the picture. Many folks end up working just to pay all their income out to insurers and the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida