Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,933 times

Advertisements

My spouse and our two children (ages 7 & 9) may be relocating to Florida within the year. We've only lived in Oregon - Eugene to be exact, and are used to cold, overcast days and lots and lots of rain. We are thinking that the Sun and tropical weather will be a welcome change.
We want to be careful about where we go, however. We'd like to stay near a coast line, doesn't matter which one - only because i've heard it's a bit cooler with the occasional coastal wind gusts. Also, we'd prefer to be in the middle to lower parts of the state. Otherwise, we really don't know much about Florida other than how warm & humid it is.
We're a middle-class family, and would like to be in a neighborhood with other families preferably. My husband is a middle-school math/science teacher and so it'd be ideal to be near the schools. Obviously, a relatively safe neighborhood is ideal.
Our housing budget is between $200,000-$300,000 but we aren't opposed to renting for awhile.
For now we've been checking out Naples. Boca Ratan looks nice too, but mostly out of our price range. Any advise for starting out in our research?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
There are many nice middle class "family-friendly" cities in the mid to lower part of the state. I'll throw out some I know that fit your eventual budget criteria, as well as overall match and quality schools.

Safety Harbor Safety Harbor, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lake Mary Lake Mary, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Satellite Beach Satellite Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Viera Welcome to the New Town of Viera, located in Brevard County, FL on the Space Coast. (http://www.viera.com/public/index.jsp - broken link)

Cocoa Beach Cocoa Beach, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Merritt Island Merritt Island, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wellington Wellington | Wellington Florida

Weston City of Weston

Coral Springs Coral Springs, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps and that you're able to visit and see some of these choices for yourself. Because it's a bit off the radar for most, I'll give my own endorsement for the Brevard County options (Viera, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach and Merritt Island). It's a really nice area of Florida which tends to be a little quieter and a great place to raise kids. The beaches are beautiful!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
Check out the Tampa Bay area-it's miles ahead of Naples and Boca. You could live like a king (relatively speaking) on your housing budget in the Tampa Bay metro.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,128 times
First, although some may disagree, you'll need to secure employment before moving.

You may be in luck.....Clock ticking on Collier schools complying with class-size rules in 2011 » Naples Daily News

I can help with Naples. Generally the families are towards the eastern part. Snowbirds and retirees tend to congragate towrds the beach. That is a very general statement. Almost all of Naples is safe.

Without knowing where you will be working it is hard to suggest areas near schools since there are so many schools. The school district is countywide and the county is 2,000 square miles.

You have good options with that housing budget.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,019 times
Generally speaking, most of the coastal towns in Florida are similar to Seaside, OR with high-rise condos/hotels catering to retirees or tourists.

Also, Florida is primarily settled by transplants from the Eastern Seaboard and the South (depending on which areas) and the Gulf Coast has a lot of Midwesterners. We are also an international hub for trade (and immigration) with the Caribbean, Latin/South America and Europe, which means there are diverse peoples living here who call Florida "home."

This may present a culture shock for you and your family to adjust to.

I also hope you do some further research on the present situation for teaching in Florida through recent news articles as the State is facing MAJOR cutbacks in funding and services (similar to Wisconsin or worse).

Given (my impression) of Eugene/Springfield area, I would recommend you look at the following places in your price range as they offer good schools, downtown and suburban areas that are similar in feel, size + services -- and access to recreational opportunities you're used to:
  • Cape Coral (SW Coastal area)
  • Bonita Springs
  • Meritt Island
  • Lakeland
  • Winter Park
  • Gainesville
  • DeLand
  • New Smyrna Beach
Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 03-13-2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
To add to the excellent lists posted above, you should also check out the Sarasota area - we have great schools here.

It may ultimately come down to where you can find employment, however. Teachers have been cut right and left all over Florida, and may be difficult or impossible to get a teaching job here any time soon.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,916,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
To add to the excellent lists posted above, you should also check out the Sarasota area - we have great schools here.

It may ultimately come down to where you can find employment, however. Teachers have been cut right and left all over Florida, and may be difficult or impossible to get a teaching job here any time soon.
I'm going to second the recommendation for the Sarasota area. We have Pine View School, which is the top rated school in Florida and one of the top in the Nation. Many of our other local schools are very highly rated as well.

I'm a SW FL native and have also raised three kids here. It's a wonderful place to grow up with lots for the kids to do. My middle daughter is in Sarasota Crew (rowing) and enjoys skim boarding. Siesta Key beach was ranked the #2 beach in the US by Dr Beach.

My oldest is into the arts. There is a huge art community in Sarasota-Ringling Museum, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall and Towels Court artist colony are a few places to check out. Downtown Sarasota always has things going on, from the Chalk Festival to the Vinyl Music Festival. Every Saturday there is a farmers market.

For kids there's GWIZ Science Museum , Sarasota Jungle Gardens , and Mote Marine and numerous other places to go.

Sarasota has a lot to offer young families.

I would probably cross Naples off since you have kids. The average is is over 60.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 AM

357 posts, read 783,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I'm going to second the recommendation for the Sarasota area. We have Pine View School, which is the top rated school in Florida and one of the top in the Nation. Many of our other local schools are very highly rated as well.

I'm a SW FL native and have also raised three kids here. It's a wonderful place to grow up with lots for the kids to do. My middle daughter is in Sarasota Crew (rowing) and enjoys skim boarding. Siesta Key beach was ranked the #2 beach in the US by Dr Beach.

My oldest is into the arts. There is a huge art community in Sarasota-Ringling Museum, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall and Towels Court artist colony are a few places to check out. Downtown Sarasota always has things going on, from the Chalk Festival to the Vinyl Music Festival. Every Saturday there is a farmers market.

For kids there's GWIZ Science Museum , Sarasota Jungle Gardens , and Mote Marine and numerous other places to go.

Sarasota has a lot to offer young families.

I would probably cross Naples off since you have kids. The average is is over 60.

Although there are tons of retirees, there are tons of familes there as well. Such a gorgeous area too.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Read up on the 'education reforms' coming out of Tallahassee right now. This is seriously not a good time to be a teacher down here right now; do you want to worry about losing 50% of your salary if not enough of your students pass their FCATs?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,663 times
I am currently a substitute teacher in south FL as well as a University student in elem ed and right now even professors are telling us to go into another profession. "This is not the time to go into teaching" is said to me on a daily basis from professors and other teachers within the school system. Between layoffs, hiring freezes and now the introduction of merit based pay, the concern over what will happen to our school system and students is at an all time high. No teaching jobs and those who have them are loosing them. Sorry to be so negative but sadly this is the way it is.
Just F.Y.I. merit pay is based on FCAT scores and the problem is that a huge majority of students don't speak english very well or come from families where parents dont speak the language very well and therefore cant help students with h.w. or studying etc. The test is difficult for them (obviously) and they are only given and english to native language dictionary to use during the test.
Teachers already spend more then half the year drilling the children on practice tests, how to understand trick questions etc. Now the year will be dedicated entirely to test taking skils because of the merit pay.
There is also a big lack of parental involvement because both parents are working and can barely make it to open houses, parent teacher confrences etc.
It is a sad time for children in the public school system and for teachers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida