Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 27,031 times

Advertisements

Well like the title says Im originally from Oregon. I moved out to Philadelphia 4 years ago and now my roommate and his girlfriend are going to get a house together. So its time for me to try something I have never experienced before. Im done going to school for graphic design in three months and figured it would be the perfect time.

I am writing to find out what would be a good place for me to look into getting a apartment in. I have a 3 year old son that comes and visits me quite often so I don't want a bad neighborhood cause i would love for him to end up out there with me. Im looking in more the southern area. I really just want the tropical look right outside the door. Im not rich in fact I consider myself quite poor but.... Im looking in the no more then $850 a month range for a 2 bedroom. Id like to be close to a big city, so if I don't get a get job doing graphic design right away I could get a hotel or restaurant job real quick.

If you could leave any helpful tips that would be greatly appreciated. Any help is helpful! So thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,749 times
You are fortunate to be so young... you should be able to rebound quickly from the idealistic mistakes that you are about to make. Having family with two daughters with graphic design/arts degrees, there is a definitive dearth of opportunities nationwide (one is working as a server/other is waiting for her shot in New York). Include the principals of supply and demand, wages in your area of study are traditionally very low. Your move to Florida will not guarantee you with the graphic arts career (with a livable wage and benefits) that you seem to be seeking. You are probably destined to be working in the food service industry for a far longer period than you are currently anticipating.

You have a child and are moving to a state that is dominated with jobs that pay the minimum wage. Do you have some family that might be able to support you through the transition? If not, you might be better served by finding a job in Florida first that will afford you the opportunities that you seek... a very difficult proposition in today's economy.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 PM

I have taken some of the things you have mentioned into consideration. Due to the job market with this economy I understand it is going to be hard to find a job at this time. I enjoy working around the hospitality job force so I am thinking about going back to school for Restaurant and Hospitality Management. By the time I get done with that the recession shouldn't be so bad. I am just wondering of what areas to start looking for apartments in.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:36 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,037,410 times
You should start by taking a trip and driving up one coast and down the other.
If you are looking for tropical, you want to stay south of Ft. Pierce/Vero on the est coast and south of Bradenton on the west coast.

$850 for a two bedroom in a nice area is a tough proposition. Don't come down without a job, or at least enough savings to get you through 3 months-competition is fierce for even minimum wage jobs.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGoodright View Post
I have taken some of the things you have mentioned into consideration. Due to the job market with this economy I understand it is going to be hard to find a job at this time. I enjoy working around the hospitality job force so I am thinking about going back to school for Restaurant and Hospitality Management. By the time I get done with that the recession shouldn't be so bad. I am just wondering of what areas to start looking for apartments in.
I admire your willingness to explore other venues and further your education, but even in a tourist friendly state such as Florida, you may be spending your education dollars fruitlessly (further enhancing your debt). Your education means little if it does not translate into earning a sustainable wage. Competition is fierce among Florida hotels, and many are barely surviving. This will generally translate into paying the bare bones wages to its workforce just to keep the doors open. The hotel manager in many Florida settings will wear many hats, work long hours, and see little rewards in his/her paycheck... a very difficult job if you can get one.

Lilybeans is offering you some very sage advice... test the waters before you get in too deep. Florida is a big state, but it is a right to work state. You are leaving Pennsylvania with its strong union presence to go to Florida where a minimum wage job is a career for many. If you have no Florida family, little money saved, and/or lack of the needed experience/education, your chances of finding success here will be limited.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,533,027 times
I like Florida myself, but I have no respect for it or other states that cater to only certain segments of the population. States that have very high housing costs but very low wages and limited employment in my book are making a statement. A statement that says they cater only to those that can afford a higher cost of living. Florida has had a huge increase in its cost of living in very recent years. I would go very easy with your plans to move to Florida unless you have the funds on hand for several months of job hunting. You said you are from Oregon then you should know how many move to this place and end up on the streets homeless for lack of work here. I can understand you wanting the climate of Florida but please find employment and housing before you take such a big step in life with that kind of move. It will be a much more enjoyable and safe move if you follow those steps rather than just moving down there with no housing or employment.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Smile Thanks for the input...

I want to thank everyone for the advise. I really appreciate it. I def wouldn't move unless I felt like I was TOTALLY comfortable. I am just trying to get a heads up on the good and not so good places to live. Im hearing ALOT about the panhandle area and destin vicinity? It took me a good 1-2 years to fully get up and move out to philly so... I am a VERY adventurous being. Thanks again for all of the input the more I know the better prepared I am. Thats why I did this blog thing for the first time here.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,967,137 times
I would look at Miami beach or ft Lauderdale area, the panhandle is not going to have the tropical look of south Florida, and the SW part of Florida has no big city's.

Delray beach seems to be a popular destination for the northeast crowd.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 PM

88 posts, read 414,096 times
Florida is very different than Oregon and Philly. If you want safe and good schools, I would stay away from anything south of Palm Beach Gardens in Palm Beach County. Broward and Miami Dade do have nice areas, but not for $850 a month. Maybe $1,500 a month.

Try looking at areas between Jupiter and Daytona, on the east coast, and the Tampa, Clearwater areas on the west coast.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Well Im looking in the areas all of you have mentioned and I have found a couple that would fit what Im looking for. I have questions about Naples....What is it like? How far is it Miami? Im willing to commute to jobs, etc. It seems to have the apartment complex's that appeal to me price wise and look. Thanks again for everyones input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida