Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,804,432 times

Advertisements

Naples is a nice place designed for wealthy retirees, run by wealthy retirees.

The economy revolves around tourism, services, and hospitality for these folks. The cost of living is generally high, and the payscales don't match it.

Miami is about 100 miles away. Commuting would be very expensive and time consuming. It would be impractical unless you are commuting to a 200K job in Miami.

A good majority of the apartment complexes in Naples are ghetto. If you give me some names I can give you better information. You are better off renting a condo or house.

Look at Naples Daily News : News, Weather and Entertainment for Southwest Florida to get an idea of the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 27,040 times
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure how far across Florida was so I didn't think it was that far but def not something im willing to commute too. It looks like Im going to have to come down there and look for a place though. I was looking at the newspaper link up there and it looks like they have some nice looking places to lay your head but I don't know about the neighborhoods around the houses. I do think Naples it might be though. I was born and raised in Eugene, OR and by the looks of the stats for the ages and what I have been told, it sounds like home just tropical. Im a very personable person the job market might be right for me. Anymore info always helps so.... Thanks again EVERYONE!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 PM

If you give me the development or street name I can tell you general info about the neighborhood.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 AM

Im looking at the places in the link you put on your last message and it has the area's when your looking for a home to rent. It won't let me copy and paste the area's. So if you want to take a look at the link and see what Im talking about, then tell me where I should look that would be great. It has like N of Rattlesnake, S. of Rattlesnake, etc.

Last edited by WGoodright; 06-24-2008 at 09:56 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 03:21 PM

I see what you are saying about that link.

Let me approach it a different way. Here are the areas to avoid:

-Naples Manor
-Parts of Golden Gate City
-Most places off Bayshore Drive
-Parts of Naples Park
-Most apartment complexes
-All duplexes

Nearly everything west of US 41 and Marco Island will be out of your price range.

All of the gated communities, and there are very many, are OK. I did a quick search looking for 2 BR with a max price of $900 and came up with 285 results. I looked at a few and they were OK locations.

I would also base my housing on where I work. The commute can be awful, especially in the winter.

I would not move here without a job or a wad of cash. Definitely come down and look around first.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Is North Naples (N. of Immokalee Rd) a good area?
102nd Ave? (Naples Park)
Wildwood Lakes Blvd?
If I remember correctly when I was looking at some statistics it looks like Naples Park fits my personality and what Im use to growing up around. Anyways anymore info is always good.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,068,927 times
It's a big myth Florida is the Sunshine state. In the summer and fall it rains off and on constantly, like a monsoon. The pay is low, competition is fierce, and everything costs money. Think carefully about what you are doing.

This place is like a giant nightmare now days with the economy being so bad- I've seen 3 people walk up to me and panhandle in the last 2 months, more than i've seen in the last 10 years combined, and this is a nice suburban area. Imagine how bad it is downtown or in the hood.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGoodright View Post
Is North Naples (N. of Immokalee Rd) a good area?
102nd Ave? (Naples Park)
Wildwood Lakes Blvd?
If I remember correctly when I was looking at some statistics it looks like Naples Park fits my personality and what Im use to growing up around. Anyways anymore info is always good.

Thanks,
Rick
North Naples is a nice area. There are small pockets to avoid.

Naples Park is overall nice but mixed. It is an older community (by Naples standards). Originally a modest community, some have torn down their homes and built very large houses. There are some duplexes that are rentals and should be avoided. It can vary wildly by street.

Wildwood Lakes Blvd is OK.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM

I liked the variety of ethnicity in Napels Park and the Median age was like 29.4 or something like that. Im 25 at age but like 30 at heart so.... RMD you have been a HUGE help. THANK YOU. I'll still be doing more research so I'll be throwing some more replys soon. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida