Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times

Advertisements

The best thing that could ever happen to education (in public schools that is) is for ALL to teach the same thing to start with, then make it mandatory to graduate or no job will hire you.

Taxes are for US, we pay taxes to have benefits...as a whole.

The problem is that the gap between rich and poor is so huge right now that it will take a while to even out. You have an entire Former middle class on welfare! that unacceptable. (people with degrees and qualifications making minimum wage)

Americans need to try and see the bigger picture here and realize that by NOT paying taxes, they only shot themselves in the foot should disability become a problem etc. The biggest problem right now, is that there is a small patch making more money than the rest who can't see passed their own nose to understand "why" this is a necessity.

I hope they do raise taxes but most of all I hope that corporations and businesses are taxed and regulated to where an insurance company will stop making people drop the coverage because it becomes unfordable.

IF that were to be done, then we won't need "centralized" health care and private companies can continue to exist. The problem with US companies is that the GREED is larger than their eyes and none of them think or care about the citizen wages when they increase their premiums. IF they realized "employers" are NOT keeping up with raised premiums, then everyone would have health care and nobody would be complaining about anything!

Don't get me started on lobbyists.....
Italy is freakin famous for that....LOLOL I know people directly involved in that crap pretending to be "choreographers" as a day job! I never said this doesn't happen elsewhere...it seems to be part of the "job description" as a "politician"! almost as if it was a requirement even, Look at that jerk Edwards! OY!

Look at this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_wto_boeing (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I read the article in your first post which read in part ..."over the past few decades, Americans have voted themselves more benefits than they are willing to pay for and at some point, something has to give. "Generally, the economic effects are less destructive if the government deals with the deficit by cutting back on spending and entitlement programs," "You'd want to reform some of the longer-term entitlement programs," such as Medicare and Social Security."

I agree 100 percent. Its time to reign in this out of control spending. It's going to hurt, its going to hurt everybody, but it has to be done. NOW.

Speaking of prostitutes and Europe whats the deal in Italy? Looks like that happens in other countries too.

Politics, in my opinion, is a fraud in itself. I mean who spends millions to get a job that pays less than 100k a year UNLESS you are making it up somewhere, collecting from lobbyists. If it was up to me, I'd BAN LOBBYISTS. They don't represent the people they represent corporate interests. The government is supposed to be "By the people, for the people".

Yes, I read the papers. I subscribe to the New York Times on line and read the St. Pete times daily. I also read Time and Newsweek regularly so I think I am roundly informed.

As far as education, I think our new gov. is doing something about it.
Reform it. Get rid of these crummy teachers who are "tenured" and feel that they don't have to perform to keep their jobs. Get paid for what you do, not what you did is my take on that.

Yes, things need to be fixed. BIG TIME. NOW. Not later.
Like I said, its gonna hurt, but if we want to survive as a nation, it has to happen.

Last edited by algia; 03-31-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,952,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
The best thing that could ever happen to education (in public schools that is) is for ALL to teach the same thing to start with, then make it mandatory to graduate or no job will hire you.

Taxes are for US, we pay taxes to have benefits...as a whole.

The problem is that the gap between rich and poor is so huge right now that it will take a while to even out. You have an entire Former middle class on welfare! that unacceptable. (people with degrees and qualifications making minimum wage)

Americans need to try and see the bigger picture here and realize that by NOT paying taxes, they only shot themselves in the foot should disability become a problem etc. The biggest problem right now, is that there is a small patch making more money than the rest who can't see passed their own nose to understand "why" this is a necessity.

I hope they do raise taxes but most of all I hope that corporations and businesses are taxed and regulated to where an insurance company will stop making people drop the coverage because it becomes unfordable.

IF that were to be done, then we won't need "centralized" health care and private companies can continue to exist. The problem with US companies is that the GREED is larger than their eyes and none of them think or care about the citizen wages when they increase their premiums. IF they realized "employers" are NOT keeping up with raised premiums, then everyone would have health care and nobody would be complaining about anything!

Don't get me started on lobbyists.....
Italy is freakin famous for that....LOLOL I know people directly involved in that crap pretending to be "choreographers" as a day job! I never said this doesn't happen elsewhere...it seems to be part of the "job description" as a "politician"! almost as if it was a requirement even, Look at that jerk Edwards! OY!

Look at this:
WTO rules US aid to Boeing is illegal - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_wto_boeing - broken link)
Bingo. Do people honestly think that those relying on government entitlements prefer that to stable employment with a livable wage and basic benefits?? Yeah it's much easier and beneficial for a low income mother to sit back and watch her family eat rice, beans, and kraft cheese for dinner rather than simply go to work and bring home the bacon (pun fully intended).

SpringHill,

No not just sales tax, but also property tax, outrageous fees aka taxes on car registration, boat registration (unless it's a yacht), driver's licenses, gasoline tax, etc. While I don't agree with over taxing enterprise, I don't see how giving them the tax breaks when the middle class is suffering is the answer.

Oh and to flip your logic and exact words right back at you again:
Taxation? The piddly corporate income tax businesses pay? Yeah that's right, Florida already has the 5th most business friendly climate which is considerably better than the job creation behemoth of Texas, yet whose overall economy is better off? Then again the lesson we learn from Texas' $15 billion deficit is that you can't rely on successful private enterprise to pick up the slack for those that were elected to serve YOUR interests.

So great you have a choice as to which businesses you patronize, wow. Guess that makes up for the amount of Federal and State money our leaders funnel into them. Hey I don't have to shop at the largest recipient of corporate welfare, Wal- Mart, anymore because I can choose to shop at Local Ed's hardware and Gretchen's Grocery. Oh wait I can't because, the market wasn't really free and while Ed tried to pay livable wages and provide health coverage for his employees, Wal-Mart drove down the retail wage, received tax breaks to open it's neighborhood Supercenter, slashed benefits, and outsourced it's purchasing to Asia where it could pay people a few dollars per day to produce. Ah Capitalism and it's intrinsic value of fairness and power to the people's wallets. See Gretchen and Ed refused to cut wages to indentured servant levels and continued to buy American goods, but sadly they couldn't compete with a company that hands out Medicaid flyers when their employees ask about health insurance.

I do strongly agree with you about one thing, "Government is not a for profit industry." Let me ask you then, why in the hell would you elect somebody who vowed to run Florida as a business?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM

42 posts, read 75,055 times
Unless I misunderstood the article, Rick Scott bypassed the legislative process and implemented this budget cut using his "emergency powers". Isn't anyone else concerned by what other policies he will implement with his "emergency powers"?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM

^ Naw man, his budget cuts remain proposals until the State Legislature passes a budget that he agrees to sign into law. I've looked at the House and Senate versions of the budget and they are not much better so hold on to your hats Florida.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticTastes View Post
Unless I misunderstood the article, Rick Scott bypassed the legislative process and implemented this budget cut using his "emergency powers". Isn't anyone else concerned by what other policies he will implement with his "emergency powers"?
You didnt misunderstand anything, I'm surprised people arent up in arms about this.
I'm very concerned about what he is going to use his "emergency powers" on next.......where was the announcement on this, btw?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
Yeah, I am........what's the emergency to go after the disabled???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticTastes View Post

Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You didnt misunderstand anything, I'm surprised people arent up in arms about this.
I'm very concerned about what he is going to use his "emergency powers" on next.......where was the announcement on this, btw?
Wait did he? No way? Proof my friend or else I'm going to Tally and plan to execise a couple of rights near the top of the Bill of Rights

Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Wait did he? No way? Proof my friend or else I'm going to Tally and plan to execise a couple of rights near the top of the Bill of Rights
Lead sentence in the article the OP posted.
If you're gonna go to Tally and exercise those rights, swing by and pick me up.....I have a few rights of my own that need to be exercised!!
TALLAHASSEE — Due to a shockingly large deficit, Gov. Rick Scott is planning to invoke his emergency powers and make deep cuts to the rates charged by group homes and caseworkers who help the developmentally disabled.

Deficit prompts Gov. Rick Scott to plan cuts to services for developmentally disabled - St. Petersburg Times

Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,636,492 times
Nothing in this pathetic country will change until we start putting people before profits.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Deficit prompts Gov. Rick Scott to plan cuts to services for developmentally disabled - St. Petersburg Times

Interesting how his private plane trips don't get cut!!!!!!!!!! and his salary....he goes after the disabled? this is just too low class!
Didn't he just sell off 2 jets from the state coffers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida