Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of Florida is best to live in?
Dade County 5 19.23%
Broward 3 11.54%
Treasure Coast 4 15.38%
Central Florida 7 26.92%
North Florida 3 11.54%
Other (Please Specify) 8 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 16,767 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I moved from Miami to Seattle in 2004. I am currently considering moving back to Florida because of SAD, the cloudy, rainy climate and the cold.
I am a divorced 50 yo, white non-hispanic male, U of M grad with a BBA, most current employer is Microsoft where I worked as a Financial analyst.
I am aware of issues related to living in Miami, but am wondering if there is another city in Florida that would be better for someone like me?
I lived in and really liked, Fort Lauderdale and Clearwater, St.Petersburg, but that was over twenty years ago.
Financially speaking, I am in the middle class bracket here in the NW. I would really appreciate any and all opinions / advice on what might be the best city for me to move to in Florida. I do need to find a job and am looking to rent, not buy. Further down the line, I will start my own business. I love nature, easy, simple life. Not into partying, noise etc. Peace a quiet appeal to me very much.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 15,648 times
Id say centrel its nice and quit and with the experice in mircosoft that u have a job should be easy to get

Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
You didn't mention the First Coast area (Jacksonville-St Augustine) but think it could be a good option for you. Plenty of job opportunity for IT in Jacksonville, coupled with far less congestion and a very favorable cost of living. The southside of Jacksonville is a surprisingly nice area with every convenience imaginable. The beaches are quite nice as well.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
OP - Since you have now lived in Miami and Seattle two liberal places. You may want to look at Palm Beach County. Close to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami if you need or want to do anything, yet far enough that you don't have to live there.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,329,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradovich View Post
Hello,
I moved from Miami to Seattle in 2004. I am currently considering moving back to Florida because of SAD, the cloudy, rainy climate and the cold.
I am a divorced 50 yo, white non-hispanic male, U of M grad with a BBA, most current employer is Microsoft where I worked as a Financial analyst.
I am aware of issues related to living in Miami, but am wondering if there is another city in Florida that would be better for someone like me?
I lived in and really liked, Fort Lauderdale and Clearwater, St.Petersburg, but that was over twenty years ago.
Financially speaking, I am in the middle class bracket here in the NW. I would really appreciate any and all opinions / advice on what might be the best city for me to move to in Florida. I do need to find a job and am looking to rent, not buy. Further down the line, I will start my own business. I love nature, easy, simple life. Not into partying, noise etc. Peace a quiet appeal to me very much.
Thank you.
I think you might as well go back to what you know, especially if it was only in 2004 you left.

If you left in 1950 something and were thinking of going back, you might be in for a shock, but 2004 wasn't so long ago that things were terribly different (besides obviously all the new buildings in Miami)

Besides that I think Miami is prime for business. Plenty of people and income there.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,671 times
I think the Tampa Bay area would fit the bill! I love it! Plenty of IT jobs and their is a Microsoft office here! Very laid back and good quality of life.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 PM

501 posts, read 1,883,360 times
I have some good ideas for you but need more clarification on the following -- will you be dependent on locals to start/grow your business -- or do you have connections to be independent through other markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradovich View Post
Financially speaking, I am in the middle class bracket here in the NW. I do need to find a job... Further down the line, I will start my own business.
Also, what's you're feeling about moving to foreign places (i.e. other comfortable sunny spots on the planet), besides Florida?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 16,767 times
Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to voice your advice and suggestions. I gratefully accept any and all suggestions. Just a point of clarification; At Microsoft I used to work in corporate finance not IT. Corporate finance is a soul-crushing, high-burnout, low paying career which I am seeking to escape from. I am a people person, not a PC person. (I use a Mac) My best quality is caring about other people's issues (although I have no background in nursing), helping people, training, public speaking, teaching, coaching, making sure people are happy and pleased, anticipating their needs. I can see myself in the hospitality industry, tourism, tutor, coach. I am open to relocating anywhere in the world, where there is no war, low-crime, no snow or cold and I can earn enough to have food on the table and shelter. When I was living in Miami, I had concrete evidence of discrimination against non-hispanics, which is one of the main reasons I left, so the only way I see my self back in Miami is if I am self-employed.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:50 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,331 times
I think Palm Beach Gardens, Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville would all be good options. I would move to where you get the best job opportunity unless you are looking for certain criteria. It sounds like you like the beach based on where you liked. I think you would like Ponte Vedra, Sarasota and/or ST Pete/Clearwater the most.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
You should have listed Palm Beach County and Tampa area. They are the best places to live and be in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida