Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:44 PM

9 posts, read 124,864 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a Boston-based graphic designer considering moving to Florida. The job market (no jobs), and housing ($700k), and cold weather (shovels), in Boston has finally gotten to me. And well...I love sunshine!

What stops me from moving to Florida is that I don't know the area at all, and from what I've seen in terms of job listings, their salaries are lower than ours. Of course, that's fine if the housing and cost of living is proportionate.

So I ask you all to please input your two cents:

1) where should I start looking for work?
2) work and home should be less than an hour commute.
3) is there a centralized city/area where professional "30-somethings" live and work?

Admittedly, after 20 years in Boston I'm used to a high standard of living, and I've heard too many horror stories of "rednecks/poverty/crime" in many places in Florida (I mean no offence; simply relaying what I hear). I'm an educated 34-year-old professional looking to settle amongst a thriving community: where people work hard and make money, but also relax and play in the sun. (I hope that's not Miami, because I'm not much for the glitz/martini/glamour lifestyle. We have enough of that here in Boston.)

Thank you all in advance!
--Luckycharms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 09:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Default Try Tampa, Jax or Orlando

I would look into cities such as Tampa, Jax and Orlando.

Maybe see what kind of jobs are available in your field - do you feelance or are you looking to join an existing design group?

Yes, I would be prepared for your pay to drop...it's not always the case, but often enough that you shouldn't be shocked by it.

There are individual forums for each of these cities, might want to explore more there too.

Some visits down here would also be adviseable - the Gulf is different from the Ocean which is different from the interior and such.

I'm in Jax and originally from NYC and I'm happy here. The average age is 36, so it's a young city. I miss aspects of NYC, but nothing I can't revisit on a trip .

Old 05-18-2007, 10:11 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
NorthWest Florida has it all.... just got to do your research and adapt to a fine and friendly community

Old 05-18-2007, 10:32 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
Hello all,

I'm a Boston-based graphic designer considering moving to Florida. The job market (no jobs), and housing ($700k), and cold weather (shovels), in Boston has finally gotten to me. And well...I love sunshine!

What stops me from moving to Florida is that I don't know the area at all, and from what I've seen in terms of job listings, their salaries are lower than ours. Of course, that's fine if the housing and cost of living is proportionate.

3) is there a centralized city/area where professional "30-somethings" live and work?

Admittedly, after 20 years in Boston I'm used to a high standard of living, and I've heard too many horror stories of "rednecks/poverty/crime" in many places in Florida (I mean no offence; simply relaying what I hear). I'm an educated 34-year-old professional looking to settle amongst a thriving community: where people work hard and make money, but also relax and play in the sun. (I hope that's not Miami, because I'm not much for the glitz/martini/glamour lifestyle. We have enough of that here in Boston.)

--Luckycharms
try new tampa, wesley chapel, area I also left bean town, but retired, however in this area there is work, and it is safe.
go boston Red Sox! teachers are in great demand also. check out verizon also!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:43 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
Hello all,

--Luckycharms
try new tampa, wesley chapel, area I also left bean town, but retired, however in this area there is work, and it is safe.
go boston Red Sox! teachers are in great demand also. check out verizon also! also lab work is great here seven oaks in pasco.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:11 AM

159 posts, read 804,030 times
I hear Jacksonville is nice.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:06 AM

riveree & Dro420: great to hear your imput as a New Yorker. I've heard Jacksonville mentioned...with mixed reviews. Some say it's beautiful with beaches, others claim it's boring and crime-ridden.

sunrico90: could you please recommend areas in Northwest Florida? It will help my seach if I have a specific name/location.

maggiekate: go Sox! Tampa is also mentioned alot in Boston, with the same mixed reviews as Jacksonville. I've never heard of Seven oaks, but it sure looks beautiful!

Thank you for all your prompt replies. I'll start researching these places in depth. Unfortunately, hearsay is just hearsay. I've seen the same kind of "crime/stay away!" postings in the Boston forums, and I shudder. Sure, we have crime too, but less than 20 minutes away (where I live) are the beautiful burbs, and it's sometimes hard to convince people who've never been here of that.

Of course, the only way to know a place is to visit it. I've done this "relocation" search before, driving to Las Vegas and California, and came back with mixed reviews! Once I get more information/locations on Florida, I'll gas up my car for another tour. I just need some directions first.

I will keep you posted on my findings (and asking more questions).
--Luckycharms

Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I don't know Northwest Florida for a young hip graphic designer???? I am in the same industry as this original poster. IMO, You need to be in the larger cities for work (Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beach that is it). In our industry it has been said "the good artists don't stay in Florida they go to NY, Chicago, LA" I have met some great artist down here don't get me wrong. The #1 ad agency in the country (located in Miami) just moved their entire art department out to Boulder to be in a more creative environment, just think in their opinion Miami isn't a creative enough environment. Depending on your skills, Florida may be fine, but if you are looking for a bigger career look at NYC, LA or Chicago.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:09 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
Having lived all my life between Dallas/Fort Worth and Boston, I was surprised at how small Orlando is...when I saw the airport in Orlando after becoming used to DFW I was a little taken aback, given the amount of tourism, its staggering how small it is.

It might be considering what you are used to in Boston that South Florida might be a good place for you to look. There are other things like access to medical care, again, I was shocked, I live outside of Orlando, about halfway in between Orlando and Daytona, I would have to drive a ways to find reasonable care...

Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 PM

Lisa_from_Debary: yes, Orlando is definitely on my list. (Pretty scary that you have to venture far for healthcare.)

doggiebus: I think you hit the nail on the head. In our industry to make a good living you need good ad agencies (though I've done well freelancing for years). This is the main reason I've staid in frigid Boston for so long, and yet, the same reason I want to move. Jobs are slow now, and again, I love the sunshine. I know that Chicago, NY, and LA are my best bets in terms of work, but I feel they're too similar to Boston. I'd rather stick it out here than relocate to another hectic/expensive/cold city with no friends and family. (LA is warm but...just didn't feel right. Santa Monica and San Diego are still in the back of my mind, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The #1 ad agency in the country (located in Miami) just moved their entire art department out to Boulder to be in a more creative environment, just think in their opinion Miami isn't a creative enough environment.
LOL! I know exactly what you mean. These days, you have to chase down companies to whichever state THEY relocate.

Bottom line: I'm not looking to be driving a Ferrari in 5 years; just a fully-loaded Audi. My primary goal is moving towards stability, instead of going backwards at this stage of my life/career.

Thanks for you help!
--Luckycharms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida