Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 12,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It is; I love it here in Pittsburgh and don't want to live anywhere else. I'm confused whether the OP is crying about Pittsburgh or if he's having issues with the wife.
Why are you even responding to this. I am his wife and were not crying about Pittsburgh or having marriage issues (FYI). We want to relocate to somewhere that our children are not trapped in our house for 6 months a year due to snow. Our boys love playing sports, being outside enjoying the warm weather. We are looking for a decent area in Florida to raise our children. That is great that you are "loyal" to your city. I was born and raised here. I just want to give my children an enjoyable childhood with more opportunities. I feel like somewhere south could make that possible due to the huge weather difference. The fact that they can play baseball all year long. We dont have to be couped up in our house due to ****ty weather. So before you make assumptions of why someone wants to move (which is really none of your buisness if we prefer to leave this city) How about you comment when you have some helpful insight on the situation. I would suggest you stick to the Pittsburgh forum and praise your wonderful city on there.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
I grew up in FL and moved to Pittsburgh in 2006. Trust me, after the honeymoon phase wears off you'll probably spend 6 months of the year indoors in FL too, just in the opposite season. The summers are brutal and neverending. 90+ degrees every day with high humidity, plus daily afternoon thunderstorms gets old just as quickly as a Pittsburgh winter. Have you looked at a more moderate climate like the Carolinas or maybe even out west? Florida is also is a very tough place to make a living, there is very high competition for jobs, and the pay can be lower than what you might be used to.

Just my .02 cents from someone that did the opposite move.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRenee04 View Post
Why are you even responding to this. I am his wife and were not crying about Pittsburgh or having marriage issues (FYI). We want to relocate to somewhere that our children are not trapped in our house for 6 months a year due to snow. Our boys love playing sports, being outside enjoying the warm weather. We are looking for a decent area in Florida to raise our children. That is great that you are "loyal" to your city. I was born and raised here. I just want to give my children an enjoyable childhood with more opportunities. I feel like somewhere south could make that possible due to the huge weather difference. The fact that they can play baseball all year long. We dont have to be couped up in our house due to ****ty weather. So before you make assumptions of why someone wants to move (which is really none of your buisness if we prefer to leave this city) How about you comment when you have some helpful insight on the situation. I would suggest you stick to the Pittsburgh forum and praise your wonderful city on there.

It was a legitimate question, no need for the attitude. Just keep in mind that moving to Florida means that you may be spending 6 months indoors during the other half of the year. It's not exactly a year round weather paradise down there.

And March, October, and November are usually pretty mild so I don't know where you are getting these six month winters from. Try living in North Dakota!

Last edited by airwave09; 04-11-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 01:51 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
I am also in the Pittsburgh area and moving to FL in May. We bought a home in December. Yes FL has heat and humidity in the summer, so we go to the BEACH or go do things early in the morning or late afternoon if it's too hot for us. Certainly we won't be cooped up because the roads are icy or because it's just to darned cold to go out. We figure it's a trade off but you don't have to shovel humidity!

The Pittsburgh area is wonderful, I've lived here my whole life but it's time to go. I too am sick of the dreary sky day after day after day.....

Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninPittsburgh View Post
It is dreary in Pgh because the sun doesn't shine from the beginning of November until sometime in April.
I'll take dreary any day. I pray for dreary.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I'll take dreary any day. I pray for dreary.
Move to Pittsburgh!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Not a bad idea, and it's one area I'm thinking about. I've heard Pittsburgh is retiree friendly. Good luck on your move to Florida.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahshBless View Post
im a married father of 4 and want to get the hell out of pittsburgh... thinking of florida gulf coast... any thoughts????
Try the Tampa Bay area-lots of folks love it.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Not a bad idea, and it's one area I'm thinking about. I've heard Pittsburgh is retiree friendly. Good luck on your move to Florida.
The Pittsburgh area is friendly, VERY friendly. I don't live in the city but in the South Hills. If you are considering a move I would recommend the South Hills, super nice people and neigborhoods.

Too bad I already sold my snowblower and snow shovels, I'd make ya a deal!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:43 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorninPittsburgh View Post
It is dreary in Pgh because the sun doesn't shine from the beginning of November until sometime in April.
I love cloudy days. I couldn't stand the heat, humidity, and sprawl of Florida. The Everglades and beaches are really nice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida