Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM

233 posts, read 720,909 times

Advertisements

I truly wanted to love it here in TN, however, I guess spending 38 years in FL was hard to compete with! We had dreams of buying a small house with a basement (for sports room and tornadoes) and living a simple life. However, we couldn't sell our house in FL, so everything happens for a reason! I'm not going to cut down anything in middle TN, but both my husband and I are ready to go back to FL so we don't have to experience 9 degrees in the winter and 100 in the summer. Yes, FL has heat and humidity, but we have watched over the last three years and FL actually had lower temps in the summer than we have experienced in middle TN. Never thought that was the case. Can't even describe how miserable 9 degrees really is. Just terrible, IMO. Anyway, we are looking to be able to go back by the end of this year. Anybody want a great job in commercial property management?!
To the OP, as others have suggested, perhaps a different area of FL would be for you? I think it might be worth considering before you do what we did...best wishes no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
It has nothing to do with temperature. When it comes to how hot it feels, dew point is king, even trumping humidity. It does get crazy hot in Middle Tennessee and even West Tennessee, that's for sure, but it still won't beat south Florida, that's for sure. Of course, you move to Florida knowing that and need to adjust accordingly. Doing extensive research on weather - and understanding it - is definitely a must, no matter where you move.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 PM

233 posts, read 720,909 times
hiknapster is right. Dew point makes the difference! If you have lived in FL, you know what that's about. Tropical is just...well, tropical. Different than many other areas, but if you are looking for something different, perhaps East TN would be nice for you. It didn't seem so extreme as far as the temps go, but I'm sure hiknapster could give more details on that. Electric bills seem higher in TN, but that could be because we are in a rental that is not well insulated, so it could very well be pretty much on par. Other costs seem pretty even, other than sales tax, but I think that is off-set by property taxes.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I have no idea what Middle TN utilizes but East TN uses the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), the nation's largest public power company, and one of Roosevelt's most ambitious New Deal projects. Today it provides some of the cheapest electricity in the country. We started out in a uninsulated rental and are now in a well-insulated, well-built home. Our bills are CRAZY cheap.

Tax-wise, we are 47th in the country for tax burden. You can't beat it unless you want to move to Alaska, Nevada or South Dakota.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 PM

407 posts, read 388,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
I am just curious with many of us Floridians fleeing the state like fleas from soapy water, what is keeping those of us here?
Laziness

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Laziness
Or perhaps a general fondness for my home state.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 AM

400 posts, read 738,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
.....There are sacrifices and rewards to choosing any place to call home.... taking the good with the bad.....

Trust your instincts, and determine what is not only best for you, but your family, as well. Maybe you will be able to carve your niche in Florida, but there is a big world out there. Don't let winter sunshine, beaches, and "relocation syndrome" be the lone driving forces to experiencing what life has in store for you. Good Luck!
I tried to rep you for this well-thought-out post, but couldn't. Said so well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida