Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2022, 12:49 PM

778 posts, read 504,977 times

Advertisements

Howdy, y'all - We moved to TX to be closer to Grandkids, and it's working out well. The house we bought has a hot tub. I am not a hot tub person, neither is my wife. To avoid the expense of maintaining a hot tub we never use, I drained it and turned it off. My son lives not too far away, one of the reasons, the others being trees and a lake, that we bought this house. Our daughter-in-law, who we love very much, has been diagnosed with RA, and it came to me that she may benefit from a hot tub. Why don't we just give it to them? It couldn't be that hard to move, or could it? Looking into it, I decided it might be best to hire some professionals to move this thing, it would be about $1,000 or so, but I keep asking myself, couldn't four or six guys move this thing? I have an engineering background, my son is a skilled mechanic and he has a truck and lots of friends. My question is; has anyone else done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 07:43 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
You're not just moving a 500-pound empty tub. You're building a concrete foundation for it, a base made with rebar and a ground wire for the electricals, then fencing it in - getting it from wherever it is on your Texas property to the truck, getting it from the truck to wherever they're placing it - in some cases it can require a crane.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:52 AM

Thanks, Ghaati - Your right, it's not an easy task. My son will have a concrete pad and the electricals installed by pros. I saw on Youtube some guys get the tub up onto its side on a big four-wheel dolly, but I'm sure there are a lot of unforseen problems. As always, further research is in order.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:26 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
We moved the Sundance Maxis. Empty, lifted with block and bar, rolled on pvc pipe onto trailer. Rolled it on to the new concrete pad.

Old 11-29-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We moved the Sundance Maxis. Empty, lifted with block and bar, rolled on pvc pipe onto trailer. Rolled it on to the new concrete pad.
How many of you were there?

Old 11-29-2022, 06:05 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
It depends on where the hottub is located on your property, and where it's located on the kid's property. You probably wouldn't want to ruin your lawn (or hers) by trying to roll a quarter-ton object on a dolly from the slab in the back yard onto a truck in the front yard.

Even if you can get it on the dolly - you still have to roll that dolly onto and off the yard. And what happens if it gets stuck, rolling in front of a rut?

It'd be cheaper for the daughter in law to just BUY a hot tub from a local dealer and have them deliver it, than the cost of repairs if you screw it up.

You can always sell your hot tub locally with Craigslist, NextDoor, FaceBook, or put a note up on the post office bulletin board.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:42 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
How many of you were there?
Two men and me to oversee them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida