Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 02:35 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times

Advertisements

I remember one winter I warmed my car up but it malfunctioned where I could not open my door and I locked myself out of my house. Ugh it was freezing and I had to wait till someone came to help me. Felt like an idiot too.

As for summer and the car in FL all I know is one year I burnt my hand on the steering wheel and got a blister. When you buy groceries you better get home asap or you have melted frozen foods and the fruit is basically ripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
You will be warming your car up this winter in the NE.
I do for about 20 seconds then I go. I have a jeep Cherokee, they warm up seriously fast...

Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I remember one winter I warmed my car up but it malfunctioned where I could not open my door and I locked myself out of my house. Ugh it was freezing and I had to wait till someone came to help me. Felt like an idiot too.

As for summer and the car in FL all I know is one year I burnt my hand on the steering wheel and got a blister. When you buy groceries you better get home asap or you have melted frozen foods and the fruit is basically ripe.
We bought a couple of those bags from Costco that are insulated for the cold stuff. They work pretty well.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I do for about 20 seconds then I go. I have a jeep Cherokee, they warm up seriously fast...
so does any modern car.

they'll warm up faster if you drive them vs. sitting there idling, which is useless and wasteful after @ 10 seconds.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
so does any modern car.

they'll warm up faster if you drive them vs. sitting there idling, which is useless and wasteful after @ 10 seconds.
Thank you.

As I said...

Quote:
You do not want to "warm" your car up, no matter where you live. It's a very bad idea unless your car is an antique. Modern fuel injection has changed everything.
Why is everything so difficult, lately? I thought this was a helpful place to be and not the debate forum. When starting a car turns into a fight, it's time for me to move on. Done.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
To simply answer the question at hand... It gets very hot in FL in the summer time.

Daily temps in the lower to mid 90s with high humidity.

That's about all that can be said.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,475 times
Default Florida Heat Update 2014

Well, I lived in Florida for 20+ years so I hope this gives my opinion some relativity. I left Florida two years ago - main reason? The heat. Without air-conditioning, no one would stay there. You live in air-conditioning all year. You leave your air-conditioned home - get in your air-conditioned car - and look for air-conditioned outings. (Usually, another Mall. ) I lived inside all year. Even when going to a fitness center! Air-conditioned. People who say they love Florida live in an artificial environment. AC;Palms from the pacific and 300 million drains for the rain;home bug spray all day, and every opportunity for weight gain. (Air-Conditioned restaurants.) Now that I left, I finally can experience being outside. I still have a little family there, enduring flooding, high electric bills, and traffic congestion, and the huge insurance bills that go hand-in-hand. If you have an opportunity to visit a state outside of Florida, then you will see the difference. Good luck to those who are still there!!!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
where did u wind up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfold View Post
Well, I lived in Florida for 20+ years so I hope this gives my opinion some relativity. I left Florida two years ago - main reason? The heat. Without air-conditioning, no one would stay there. You live in air-conditioning all year. You leave your air-conditioned home - get in your air-conditioned car - and look for air-conditioned outings. (Usually, another Mall. ) I lived inside all year. Even when going to a fitness center! Air-conditioned. People who say they love Florida live in an artificial environment. AC;Palms from the pacific and 300 million drains for the rain;home bug spray all day, and every opportunity for weight gain. (Air-Conditioned restaurants.) Now that I left, I finally can experience being outside. I still have a little family there, enduring flooding, high electric bills, and traffic congestion, and the huge insurance bills that go hand-in-hand. If you have an opportunity to visit a state outside of Florida, then you will see the difference. Good luck to those who are still there!!!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:13 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfold View Post

Are you blaming the heat for gaining weight or were you just uncomfortable in it because you're overweight ?
Obesity is one of the reasons why many people find it uncomfortable in Florida - in fact they would find it uncomfortable anywhere with a reasonably warm climate.
What you described is an attempt to live a completely artificial and unreal life under air-conditionining and with home bug spray all day ?
And obviously it was a failed attempt.
Sure Florida is hot but it's not unmanageable. Just like SE Asia and Southern Europe can be incredibly hot but people don't try to live their lives hermetically and climatically insulated from the outside world.
Open windows,use fans,create a breeze,go swimming,get plenty of exercise in the cooler parts of the day and drink lots and lots of water.
Me, I absolutely love this weather -Florida is exactly the right place to be if you don't like being cooped up all day.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 PM

329 posts, read 387,795 times
If you have to ask, its too hot for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida