Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

Advertisements

So the law says it's ok to shoot in a urban setting up to the point you kill someone or until you purposely shoot into a dwelling (as long as your not "rude" about it)? What if you "accidentally" shoot into your neighbors house? How about if the bullet misses the house and just goes through a couple of the neighborhood fences? No harm no foul according to this. Yeah, great law. Reeeeal responsible.

The parasites in Tallahassee had since the 80s (when they first passed this crap) to address the issue I'm talking about. What makes you think they'll do anything about it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Have you contacted your local parasite....errr....representative to express your concerns? I think you have a valid point and I don't see any reason to wait for a test case (unless there already is case law about this.)

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sectio...sentative.aspx

Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
So the law says it's ok to shoot in a urban setting up to the point you kill someone or until you purposely shoot into a dwelling (as long as your not "rude" about it)? What if you "accidentally" shoot into your neighbors house? How about if the bullet misses the house and just goes through a couple of the neighborhood fences? No harm no foul according to this. Yeah, great law. Reeeeal responsible.

The parasites in Tallahassee had since the 80s (when they first passed this crap) to address the issue I'm talking about. What makes you think they'll do anything about it now?
That would classify as wantonly. If that were to happen that person broke the law they were not responsible and shot at other people's homes etc.. It does not matter if it is by accident or not. This is crimnal law so there are no accidents its you either made the mistake or not.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:50 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:

I have been shooting in my back yard for years and I live right in Fort Lauderdale. Does it mean I can do it now and not get in trouble? No one has ever complained butI assume no one really knows I do. .

Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM

515 posts, read 1,348,101 times
If you shoot in an urban area and do not take proper precautions (ie. building a berm or other method to prevent rounds from going off of your property) then you can be arrested and charged. All it will take is one errant round to go onto your neighbor's property or observations that the backdrop isn't safe for shooting. Culpable negligence is a relatively easy offense to prove.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
I've been having major issues my neighbor shooting high powered rifles 200 feet from my son's bed.

In the past, we were able to get him to move 450 feet away (that was the county ordinance in my area) As of Oct.1st, that county ordinance is NULL and VOID.

So now anyone can shoot as close to a home, school, daycare center, or whatever. In city limits or outside (I'm in the city limits in a neighborhood).

Also, my county attorney called the State of FL Attorney General and the state said that the counties had better not enforce any NOISE ordinances against gun shooting either.

So the police told me now that the guy behind me can shoot his high powered rifles right on the property line (about 50 feet from my back fence line) and he can shoot all day and all night and there is NOTHING I can do about it.

Over in my county, there are MANY subdivisions that back up to vacant parcels and cow pastures. Now those property owners can put up a dirt berm right on the property line and shoot towards your home all day long.

It sounds like cannons going off inside of my home and is giving me massive panic attacks. (and NO, I had no idea this was going on when I bought the home)

The good news is we're closing on the sale in 2 weeks! Yippee!

People who are buying real estate in FL had better know the NEW state law, or they could be in for a massive surprise.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
Good grief, that's insane. Reason #2487 to get out of here.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:05 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Good grief, that's insane. Reason #2487 to get out of here.
My thoughts exactly!

My house sold = one more step towards leaving FL for good this time!

People really don't understand this new gun situation. They think it's all about concealed carry, but it goes beyond that.

The only law in FL regulating guns is the FL Statutes. The issue is that the FL Statutes don't have any regulations about a distance from occupied structures.

I have talked to deputies, the sheriff, the sheriff's attorney, my county attorney, etc and they all said this new law is a major headache for them and is causing a lot of issues already.

My son attends an elementary school here that is surrounded by large fields. There is nothing to stop that property owner from putting up a dirt berm and shooting 30-06's all day long, towards the school and right on the property line. You can't even complain about the noise.

The police and county won't touch this with a 10 foot pole because the new law has "teeth" - any deputy who tries to curtail a gun owner's right to shoot faces termination and a $5,000 fine. Then the county faces a $5 MILLION fine + paying court costs of the gun owner.

So yeah, we are totally out of luck. Good thing I've been keeping on top of this and decided to just get out of this house. (It's costing me $15,000, but what can you do? I'm a nervous wreck and my kids are scared to death to even play in their own yard!)

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
If you shoot in an urban area and do not take proper precautions (ie. building a berm or other method to prevent rounds from going off of your property) then you can be arrested and charged. All it will take is one errant round to go onto your neighbor's property or observations that the backdrop isn't safe for shooting. Culpable negligence is a relatively easy offense to prove.
It would seem a noise ordnance would kick in for most people. I use a silencer so you can't really tell what it is anyway if you were close enough to hear it. I also shoot into my open garage that has a back wall such that should I miss the shooting area the bullet can not escape. I think anyone has seen us shooting assumed it was some kind of pellet guns or something because of no real sound. I am sure if I was just blasting away I would have had a problem long ago.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
That would classify as wantonly. If that were to happen that person broke the law they were not responsible and shot at other people's homes etc.. It does not matter if it is by accident or not. This is crimnal law so there are no accidents its you either made the mistake or not.
I think one unintended consequences will be a mass loss of business to gun ranges. Anyone who really like shooting will want their own range on their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida