Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:30 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,338,832 times

Advertisements

So my taxes are now going to pay for someones retirement and free HC?

Being new to the state I surely dont want my taxes paying for a state employees retirement.

Why dont they have their own retirement like many of us by earning and paying into a retirement fund for years?

Probably the same people who dont believe 70 year olds who have paid into SS do not deserve it.

Dick Obama is coming to the rescue, wait and see. He will be in Florida next summer and spend our tax money on collecting as many votes as he can as he surely cannot talk to us about his record. He loves those government workers so much he is willing to do whatever it takes to get their vote. Even if it is to steal from successful people and hand it to state workers who feel they deserve a free retirement handed to them while the state falls apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,322,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
As far as Reek Scoot and the selling of the Governor's jet-he did that to circumvent the Sunshine laws. No travel on a government plane? No Sunshine law application and no records kept.
Which is why he doesn't use email, either, since that would be accessible via the Sunshine Law. He's a true weasel, through and through.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 AM

17,574 posts, read 39,262,106 times
crazynip's posts are 100% right on. My husband has been working for the state (and county) for almost 18 years now. He has not had a raise in I can't remember how many years. Changing the rules midstream is totally unfair. Having the state retirement system was part of the package. Workers should be given a raise or paid more if they now have to fund their own retirement. Plus he (and others) do more work now than before because with the budget slashes 1,000's of jobs were cut.

I can't believe this criminal of a governor ever got elected. I have to think that somehow he got in through some sort of illegal means. I despise him and can't wait til he is OUT!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,212,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Political rant aside, it's always been that way... you are obviously new here. Why dont you move back, you sound like someone who sucks off the system yet does not give anything back. Typical retiree. I suppose you dont want to pay anything for schools too because you have no kids.

You bring nothing to the conversation, go away...
If everyone left the state that you asked to in your multitude of posts, there would be nobody left except for you.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,918,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
So my taxes are now going to pay for someones retirement and free HC?

Being new to the state I surely dont want my taxes paying for a state employees retirement.

Why dont they have their own retirement like many of us by earning and paying into a retirement fund for years?
Then go back to Ohio. We don't need your kind down here.

The trade off for public employment down here for years is that you take 15-20% below market rate salary in exchange for a fully funded retirement plan. And it's actually worked out quite well for both employee and the state- they keep labor costs down compared to neighboring states- Alabama and Georgia pay their public employees more. The employee can opt for a stable defined benefit plan not subject to market whim. We also have the option of a defined contribution 401K-style plan, which works out best in situations where you don't plan to stick around long- you vest in defined contribution after a year instead of thw 6-8 years it takes to vest in the defined benefit plan.

Also, you're clueless about how retirement benefits are paid- they're not a direct budget item to retirees. When you're working, the state pays your contribution to FRS (Florida Retirement System), which had $120 billion in assets at its last audit point, and then you draw from that $120 billion when you retire. It's actually a pretty good fund, and was 100% funded until the stock market crash. (and remains in much better shape than most other government pension programs even post crash)

Old 10-31-2011, 04:06 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,547,474 times
Quote:
Your taxes paid for state retiree's retirement in the state you just moved from.

FL govt employess make very LOW wages - and a small pension was the one thing that helped offset the low wages(still WAY, WAY lower wages versus private sector jobs, even before Scott stole 3%).

Because they make such low wages, the pensions do not amount to that much anyway. I can guarantee that folks coming from other states would laugh loudly at the low wages earned by FL govt employees - especially compared to similar positions in other states. They would laugh even louder if they saw the pensions - as they might pay utility bills during retirement and maybe gas for your car.

The pay is very low even for professional positions which require 4 year degrees. It is a joke what these folks make. They are trying to do a good job but their boss(Scott) hates them and just wants to cut their job and cut their wages. They must have very low morale, knowing that they cannot take pride in their job and it doesn't matter how hard they work, they are "dirt" to the governor and he will only be happy if he got rid of all government workers - as that seems to be his goal in life.

Most folks would never consider working for the Stage of FL due to the low wages . I sure would never do it...the pay is an insult.

Now the state workers are dealing with lack of respect, and are practically looked at like they are homeless beggars because they are government employees. Never mind the hard work they are doing, usually understaffed and obviously underpaid.

In reality, FL taxpayers are getting very cheap labor for their tax dollars, since FL govt workers make peanuts. Now they make fewer peanuts. And the governor won't be happy until they make no peanuts. But the governor will happily give all the current and future peanuts to corporations. In the end, the taxpayers won't see any difference as the peanuts will simply be taken away from the workers and given to corporations. He already did that with the 3%.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,339,424 times
AND, what no one has mentioned is, the FRS is well performing, it has made quite a bit of money, even during the Enron disaster and the recent stock market plunges...

Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,261,885 times
Quote:

Well, they are and they will continue to be so you might as well giddy-up on back to wherever.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,322,757 times
Quote:
Are you going to become one of those bitter retirees who move here and then fight and moan about having your taxes go to schools, since all of your kids are grown and out of the house? Or gripe when the city tries to install sidewalks since you don't want people walking closer to your house?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,338,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Then go back to Ohio. We don't need your kind down here.

The trade off for public employment down here for years is that you take 15-20% below market rate salary in exchange for a fully funded retirement plan. And it's actually worked out quite well for both employee and the state- they keep labor costs down compared to neighboring states- Alabama and Georgia pay their public employees more. The employee can opt for a stable defined benefit plan not subject to market whim. We also have the option of a defined contribution 401K-style plan, which works out best in situations where you don't plan to stick around long- you vest in defined contribution after a year instead of thw 6-8 years it takes to vest in the defined benefit plan.

Also, you're clueless about how retirement benefits are paid- they're not a direct budget item to retirees. When you're working, the state pays your contribution to FRS (Florida Retirement System), which had $120 billion in assets at its last audit point, and then you draw from that $120 billion when you retire. It's actually a pretty good fund, and was 100% funded until the stock market crash. (and remains in much better shape than most other government pension programs even post crash)
My kind. Nice attack.

My kind believes in not paying someone for doing nothing and those people agreed to work for lower wages. If you agree to it and whine later then you should have moved somewhere else.

You simply cannot pay out more money then you have no matter what it is.

That thinking is why this current admin in DC has dug a hole deeper then we can ever get out of.

I pay into my retirement/savings fund every month. And pay a chunk of taxes on the sale of my business that allowed me to retire in my early 40's. Florida wont ever touch my money. I will pay my fair share of taxes like the other 53% of us but state or fed workers wont get a retirement handed to them off my back.

Why would I go back to Ohio? I have as much right if not more to be here then you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida