Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:50 AM

22 posts, read 84,309 times

Advertisements

For people who are moving into FL, you should just do your basic research to find out more about the city/cities you are interested in moving to rather than depend on someone's opinion about not moving to Florida.

I lived in NYC all of my life and my opinions about NYC is very similar to some of the long- term FL residents here in this forum. To this very day, I still do not get why people want to live in NYC. I actually think some of these people who leave their low-crime-employment opportunties-clean city to move to this tourist driven, dirty rat-infested, high-crime, overcrowded, and overly expensive city are absolutely crazy. Mad! I just do not understand. But that's what they want to do and some of them like it here (well the first 5 to 8 years) and I am a person who can't wait to break away and leave the next chance I get.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 AM

132 posts, read 472,176 times
Why I hate Florida...oh man...well, first of all...let me tell you I am a native...and we are making motions to move to Mass.

Yes, the taxes are bad in Mass....wait til you come to florida. My property tax, on a 2,000 square foot house on 1 acre are 5K a year with 2K a year in insurance. Sales tax 7.5% going up to 10% according to what I hear. Culturally, if you dont golf, drink or gamble, there is NOTHING to do. Everyone here says this is deaths waiting room. People come here after they have lived and loved in a fun state and come here to die. I have to agree and it is getting worse. Culturally, Ma has it all. Country, theater, food, history, science, education, you name it, its there. And the people...oh my gosh! friendly...yeah, will have to deal with snow...so what...have August and the other summer months here...YUK! no seasons here, YUK...its november...I am in shorts and the AC is running....give me a break...Crime...everywhere and I live in the country....my favorite part of florida..seeing it in the rear view mirror!!!!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM

272 posts, read 1,531,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
...come to NJ where taxes polluted air, crazy house prices are driving a lot of people out...
Yeah, that's pretty much what's driving people out of Florida too. Those things, in addition to obscene insurance rates, increasing crime, low wages, and a lousy school system.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 PM

75 posts, read 474,756 times
5k a year on an 1 acre of land.... Not bad...

Here in northern NJ you'll pay 6-7k for a small house with no land...

NYC has no crime??? Try walking through the Bronx or Harlem... Or the Bedsty Brooklyn... Looks like someone dropped A bombs all over the area... I use to work in all the boroughs....

Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi1957 View Post
Why I hate Florida...oh man...well, first of all...let me tell you I am a native...and we are making motions to move to Mass.

Yes, the taxes are bad in Mass....wait til you come to florida. My property tax, on a 2,000 square foot house on 1 acre are 5K a year with 2K a year in insurance. Sales tax 7.5% going up to 10% according to what I hear. Culturally, if you dont golf, drink or gamble, there is NOTHING to do. Everyone here says this is deaths waiting room. People come here after they have lived and loved in a fun state and come here to die. I have to agree and it is getting worse. Culturally, Ma has it all. Country, theater, food, history, science, education, you name it, its there. And the people...oh my gosh! friendly...yeah, will have to deal with snow...so what...have August and the other summer months here...YUK! no seasons here, YUK...its november...I am in shorts and the AC is running....give me a break...Crime...everywhere and I live in the country....my favorite part of florida..seeing it in the rear view mirror!!!!
Massachusetts rocks! You forgot to mention the food! The best!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 PM

75 posts, read 474,756 times
I can't see how anyone would want to sit in there house like a hermit with the heat on for the next 7 months up in MA... But that's just me..

Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Well I guess its the same way people sit in their houses when its 90 plus degrees outside with 80% humidity here in south florida. to each there own
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsgsr View Post
I can't see how anyone would want to sit in there house like a hermit with the heat on for the next 7 months up in MA... But that's just me..

Old 11-06-2007, 12:46 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2SPL View Post
For people who are moving into FL, you should just do your basic research to find out more about the city/cities you are interested in moving to rather than depend on someone's opinion about not moving to Florida.

I lived in NYC all of my life and my opinions about NYC is very similar to some of the long- term FL residents here in this forum. To this very day, I still do not get why people want to live in NYC. I actually think some of these people who leave their low-crime-employment opportunties-clean city to move to this tourist driven, dirty rat-infested, high-crime, overcrowded, and overly expensive city are absolutely crazy. Mad! I just do not understand. But that's what they want to do and some of them like it here (well the first 5 to 8 years) and I am a person who can't wait to break away and leave the next chance I get.
Tourist driven, dirty rat-infested, high-crime, overcrowded, and overly expensive. But you just described most of Florida's Citys with half the pay and less than half the infrastructure of New York!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:17 PM

I agree 1000000% with Firemed. Also the lack of education standards and the lack of good medical doctors...oh my...even the vet in MA was more educated than here..but the doctors here have the attitude of just mend and move on cause most of the patient's are old and cutting edge technology is way too expensive. My tax guy, when he or his mom get sick (his mom has major cardiac issues), the go to MA. Its so sad. I think it is true, those that have been here less than 5 years dont know the full picture. Its boring here. Disney came and made disney world so that families could have an AFFORDABLE vacation...any one been to disney lately? affordable????? hahaha....up north there are theater DISTRICTS...we have 1 theater....the Performing Art Center...ooooooo whooopppeeee!! then we have ribfest and fish fries and ho downs...HELP!!!! truck pulls and tractor pulls and ....oh stop!!! Anyone that likes it here...well, all I can say is good luck with that!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM

By the way...who is sitting in their house for 7 months in MA...I have been there in Jan, feb and march and the only sitting I did was on the T going here and there....Now, florida...sitting in the house March through November because of the heat, humidity, bugs, nasty people and heat and humidity all over again...that I understand...that is why I work from home...hated taking a shower and going outside to get into the car and needing another shower!!! But, thats just me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida