Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 07:10 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
For the most part, this is a really depressing thread. I agree with Floridabound...there must be some positives in the state. I relocated and love Florida. For me I have mostly positives. Is it rose-colored glasses? I think not since I did my research before I moved and knew about the heat and the costs of living here. Still, when everything was weighed, Florida still came out on top. Since I moved, I have not had one regret. I haven't encountered most of the negatives posted here. I am sure I will find things that I don't like...but I haven't died yet so I know this isn't heaven.
Margel, it's like anything, any subject where people aren't happy those are the ones you are going to hear from. Whether it's a car, or appliance that didn't work right, or they weren't happy with their move. I admit that until this year I myself was becoming negative with my home state. I have lived in some places in Florida that were miserable for us. But thankfully, we found Lakeland which is a perfect fit for us, and to me a real paradise and I have done a 180 degree turnaround on the happiness and contentment scale.

The thing that bugs me most about the negative posters here who ONLY post negatives is the way they make sweeping comments about the whole state. This state is large and varied, be it climate, topography, demographics, etc. People here complain about no jobs, well Polk County here has a very healthy economy, many large corporations headquartered here. They are also about to build a large new USF Campus which will focus on bio-research and technical programs. Our school enrollment is BOOMING, with 1.5 billion $$$ to build new schools, and a large raise given to teachers this year. And on and on. And I'm sure other posters can give similar statistics for other areas like Jax, Orlando and Tampa. The poster who mentioned the colleges and tech schools in the state is right - there is no excuse for someone not to be able to better themselves.

My husband has a great job, but he went to school for 5 years, had to do an apprenticeship, then took several more years to pass a difficult exam to get his license. Then he spent several more dues paying years to get to where he is now. Today, people want everything on a silver platter immediately. I say try going ANYWHERE where it's any different. The exceptions is if one is in the medical field or technology, those folks can go about anywhere and get a good job.

Well, enough rambling. It's a beautiful day here in super-gorgeous Lakeland, and I'm going outside to enjoy it!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Agree! Many dont have anything else to do, besides those who complain all the time about money in Florida, well, then why are they typing on a 1500.00 laptop and pay 75.00 a month for high speed to just sit there a whine about everything? If money is that tight, wouldnt high speed be the first thing you would not have?
Besides, many negative posters here almost never post a single thing positive, that tells me they either cannot be trusted with the information or they live inside a shell and dont go out to see what they have in their own backyard. There is no way in the world someone couldnt find a single thing positive about Florida, but they wont post anything like that.
Now for those who post what they feel are negatives and then post a few positives once in a while tells me they are not so dang miserable they cannot see something positive.

I have posted this a ton of times, I can live in Florida cheaper then I can live in Ohio, taking the same house, same income, same everything, I can sit my house down in the majority of places in Florida and live cheaper overall.
For those who are struggling, people are struggling everywhere not just in Florida, I spoke with someone today who lives in Mississippi and he told in our conversation that Mississippi is far worse then Florida will ever be, no jobs, NOL people moving in and causing havic and people living in more poverty then he has ever seen any state and he is a traveling man like I am.

We all have choices in most cases, if you dont like Florida is doesnt mean it is better elsewhere, you might find it to be worse in most cases.

I cannot figure out the people who blame the state for their income amount, why are these people blaming the state when most Florida resident can go to college or a tech school and learn a trade and Florida has one of the best programs in the country for this. Your income will not increase by moving to another state by much if any at all, unless you are lucky and find something that no one else has.
I travel for business all the time and many non salary employees of the places I visit are making more money in other places then here in Ohio for doing similar work.

Why hate Florida? its the person who makes themselves something, its not Floridas fault you are in the position you are and hate the state so much.
With alittle hard work and effort you are in the state with far more opportunities then any other state I travel to.

Again, an Orlando business I call on cannot even find a third shift janitor for 12.00 per hour with free benefits, easy work, uniforms etc because no one wants to work midnight shift and every other weekend.

Amazing....................... It's not Floridas fault, it the persons fault for not doing something about it.
Great post! I couldn't agree more! There are more than enough job/ career opportunities in Florida, there are schools, colleges, universities all over the place, etc. It's not the states job to make your life comfortable for you, that's your job! Get off of your lazy a** and do something to better your life! I mean, if I was that freaking miserable, I would either move out of the state or get off of my damn computer and better my life! I absolutely love Florida! I have visited most of the states and I have lived in NC for a few months. I moved back to Florida after only living in NC for less than 6 months. To me, no state compares to Florida. Again, every single state has positives and negatives, NO state is perfect! I think that the cost of living has gone up quite a bit just about everywhere, it's not just in Florida. All of these people that whine and complain about Florida seem like they are just all around miserable people! I know if I felt the way some of these people do, I sure as hell wouldn't spend all of my time on the computer b****ing about my life or where I live. I would move or do something to better my life and then spend some time on the computer! lol! These people that complain about Florida sound like they wouldn't be happy anywhere. It is completely unrealistic to expect every thing to be perfect, or even close to perfect, and no matter what city or state you live in, life will never be perfect. I wish everyone that hated Florida so much would move out of my beautiful home state! There would be a lot less traffic for me to deal with! lol!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Margel, it's like anything, any subject where people aren't happy those are the ones you are going to hear from. Whether it's a car, or appliance that didn't work right, or they weren't happy with their move. I admit that until this year I myself was becoming negative with my home state. I have lived in some places in Florida that were miserable for us. But thankfully, we found Lakeland which is a perfect fit for us, and to me a real paradise and I have done a 180 degree turnaround on the happiness and contentment scale.

The thing that bugs me most about the negative posters here who ONLY post negatives is the way they make sweeping comments about the whole state. This state is large and varied, be it climate, topography, demographics, etc. People here complain about no jobs, well Polk County here has a very healthy economy, many large corporations headquartered here. They are also about to build a large new USF Campus which will focus on bio-research and technical programs. Our school enrollment is BOOMING, with 1.5 billion $$$ to build new schools, and a large raise given to teachers this year. And on and on. And I'm sure other posters can give similar statistics for other areas like Jax, Orlando and Tampa. The poster who mentioned the colleges and tech schools in the state is right - there is no excuse for someone not to be able to better themselves.

My husband has a great job, but he went to school for 5 years, had to do an apprenticeship, then took several more years to pass a difficult exam to get his license. Then he spent several more dues paying years to get to where he is now. Today, people want everything on a silver platter immediately. I say try going ANYWHERE where it's any different. The exceptions is if one is in the medical field or technology, those folks can go about anywhere and get a good job.

Well, enough rambling. It's a beautiful day here in super-gorgeous Lakeland, and I'm going outside to enjoy it!

Thanks for the reply gypsychic. I really enjoy your posts since you have been in Florida for some time and know the bad and the good. What I like most about your posts is that they are honest and not exaggerated. It irritates me also that complete generalizations are made about the state as a whole. I came from Philadelphia. If people judged Pennsylvania ( a beautiful state) by living in the city of Philadelphia, no one would ever want to move there either. Luckily on the PA forum, it is not like that. In fact in most of the forums I have visited, Florida seems one of the few where the whole state is bashed from the unhappiness of those who live in certain areas. It may not be possible to move as far as money goes, but life is way too short to be miserable and do nothing but wallow in the misery. Find someway to bring happiness to yourselves. I know people who have a lot of problems in their lives, whether it be health or money, and yet they still smile and make the best of sometimes very sad situations. Life could always be worse. (Sorry didn't mean to preach!)

Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Great post! I couldn't agree more! There are more than enough job/ career opportunities in Florida, there are schools, colleges, universities all over the place, etc. It's not the states job to make your life comfortable for you, that's your job! Get off of your lazy a** and do something to better your life! I mean, if I was that freaking miserable, I would either move out of the state or get off of my damn computer and better my life! I absolutely love Florida! I have visited most of the states and I have lived in NC for a few months. I moved back to Florida after only living in NC for less than 6 months. To me, no state compares to Florida. Again, every single state has positives and negatives, NO state is perfect! I think that the cost of living has gone up quite a bit just about everywhere, it's not just in Florida. All of these people that whine and complain about Florida seem like they are just all around miserable people! I know if I felt the way some of these people do, I sure as hell wouldn't spend all of my time on the computer b****ing about my life or where I live. I would move or do something to better my life and then spend some time on the computer! lol! These people that complain about Florida sound like they wouldn't be happy anywhere. It is completely unrealistic to expect every thing to be perfect, or even close to perfect, and no matter what city or state you live in, life will never be perfect. I wish everyone that hated Florida so much would move out of my beautiful home state! There would be a lot less traffic for me to deal with! lol!
Florida's problems came almost over night. Taxes and the insurance thing are not peoples fault. add to that the unpredictability, we are one hurricane season away from it getting worse. How is it my fault my insurance went from $1700.00 to $7200.00 in 18 months. The problems here are real not imagined and are not going away anytime soon. It is tough to live ones life when you don't know what will happen next and are on the brink as it is.

Last edited by macguy; 11-02-2007 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Florida's problems came almost over night. Taxes and the insurance thing is not people fault. add to that the unpredictability, we are one hurricane season away from it getting worse. How is it my fault my insurance went from $1700.00 to $7200.00 in 18 months. The problems here are real not imagined and are not going away anytime soon. It is tough to live ones live when you don't know what will happen next and are on the brink as it is.
It was a sudden change. Look at my real world example.

In 2002 we lived in West Palm and our house got robbed. We decided to go somewhere safer. We found an amazing CBS house on 2.5 acres in Jupiter Farms. We bought at $350,000,taxes $3000/year, insurance $1500. We sold due to a transfer up north.

Now that house has been on the market for $780,000 for over a year. Taxes are $13,000/year and insurance $6000/year.

Every other house on the street is for sale. No one can afford to buy. Others who overpaid are on edge. Friendly neighbors become depressed.

In 3 years the entire quality of life vs cost structure has been ruined. Blame who you want, but the end result is a big, bad mess.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 AM

137 posts, read 550,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Florida's problems came almost over night. Taxes and the insurance thing are not peoples fault. add to that the unpredictability, we are one hurricane season away from it getting worse. How is it my fault my insurance went from $1700.00 to $7200.00 in 18 months. The problems here are real not imagined and are not going away anytime soon. It is tough to live ones life when you don't know what will happen next and are on the brink as it is.

I agree...Let's be optimistic about Florida BUT we have to be realistic at the same time. My laptop did not cause inflation to rise at such a rate that cost of living increases (should we even get one at our place of employment), have been unable to keep up. I LOVE Florida but it is an EXPENSIVE place to live....it's not FL's fault and it sure isn't my laptop's fault...it's a FACT! Do I want to move, maybe one day, and for a lot of reasons but I don't HATE Florida nor will I ever!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:02 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
I'm bearish about Florida but that's only because I'm looking beyond the stuff you do. The problem with Florida is the state government and local governments have no vision for what they want the state to be, other than "let's get lots of developers and money down here". It doesn't matter one whit what else comes down here, no.

This attitude worked fine 10-12 years ago when Florida was still one of the smaller big states. In the last 5 years it has been a disaster. Unmitigated growth and high costs of living + low pay, crime, and very little in the way of good jobs or community developing. Altamonte Springs, even Kississimee or Pine Hills used to not be crime magnets, believe it or not. All that's happen in the last decade or so.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I'm sorry, but I think a lot of these forum members have a reason to be upset.

Make no mistake about it. Florida was a beautiful state. In many areas, it still is.

But to watch the developers move in and put up these cookie cutter houses on top of each other, bulldozing a good portion of the state, was frustrating.

Then, to see these shallow people move in, who had sold their homes up North for a tidy profit, was really disconcerting. A lot had money in their pockets, but a Walmart mentality. Sudden "riches" can't buy taste, kindness or manners. They certainly didn't bring a sense of community with them.

Now, a good portion of them have left or want to leave, and a mess is left in their wake. Empty developments, that weren't pretty to begin with, even when they were busting at the seams, is an eyesore.

Yes, I left the state, too. But I didn't buy in Florida because I was leery of the way the state was headed. Unfortunately, I was right.

It's great that they are moving out, but they are headed my way, and I'm not happy about it. I wish they would take their Hummers and their Escalades and their pretentious attitudes and drive straight on through to Canada.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm sorry, but I think a lot of these forum members have a reason to be upset.

Make no mistake about it. Florida was a beautiful state. In many areas, it still is.

But to watch the developers move in and put up these cookie cutter houses on top of each other, bulldozing a good portion of the state, was frustrating.

Then, to see these shallow people move in, who had sold their homes up North for a tidy profit, was really disconcerting. A lot had money in their pockets, but a Walmart mentality. Sudden "riches" can't buy taste, kindness or manners. They certainly didn't bring a sense of community with them.

Now, a good portion of them have left or want to leave, and a mess is left in their wake. Empty developments, that weren't pretty to begin with, even when they were busting at the seams, is an eyesore.

Yes, I left the state, too. But I didn't buy in Florida because I was leery of the way the state was headed. Unfortunately, I was right.

It's great that they are moving out, but they are headed my way, and I'm not happy about it. I wish they would take their Hummers and their Escalades and their pretentious attitudes and drive straight on through to Canada.
If your decision not to buy was anything before 2002 it was a mistake no matter how you look at it. You still can get today a few hundred thousand for a house you would have paid like $80,000 or less for.

Last edited by macguy; 11-02-2007 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
I would rather be making LESS money in NY than be in Florida, making MORE money, which we currently are.
There are some things that money cannot buy.

PS. I just got paid today and they increased my salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida