Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 PM

117 posts, read 344,142 times

Advertisements

Hello,

While Miami is known as a beach city, sadly there are virtually no waves available(except during a storm). So, of all the cities in Florida, which ones have easily accessible beaches with good waves for Boogie boarding or bodysurfing?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The Gulf side is pretty flat save for about 3 weeks a year when Something is brewing in the bay of Campeche. The best you're probably going to get is Daytona through the Space Coast, but you're never really going to get Pacific-style waves in state waters.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM

203 posts, read 596,996 times
Best waves are from the space coast up to Jacksonville. The gulf looks more like a lake than an ocean. Check out some video on youtube. Just type "surfing in cocoa beach" or "surfing in Jacksonville".

Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Sebastien inlet is supposed to have the best surfing waves however anywhere north can have great waves.

sebastian inlet - Google Search

There maybe a surf site for Fla. so youd know where the best waves are everyday..

Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I'll second Cocoa Beach, home of the world famous Ron Jon Surf Shop
Deprecated Browser Error

Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Yeah, Cocoa Beach is where all my old surfer friends used to go.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 AM

203 posts, read 596,996 times
I just took a peak at the videos on youtube and there's some good ones for Jacksonville beach. The cocoa beach videos aren't too impressive at all. I'm new to Jacksonville and close to the beach. I'm surprised by the wave action they have on some days. It's amazing how flat the ocean can be around Florida.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Sebastian and Cocoa were the first places that came to mind. Kelly Slater who is a 7 time world champion surfer is from Cocoa Beach and even though our waves are not all that great, they are good beginner waves. This statement might be mis-attributed to Kelly, but somewhere I heard that he was asked about surfing the "waves" in Florida and he replied, "If you can surf these waves, you can surf anywhere," thus making our tiny pathetic waves sound cool.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Sebastian and Cocoa were the first places that came to mind. Kelly Slater who is a 7 time world champion surfer is from Cocoa Beach and even though our waves are not all that great, they are good beginner waves. This statement might be mis-attributed to Kelly, but somewhere I heard that he was asked about surfing the "waves" in Florida and he replied, "If you can surf these waves, you can surf anywhere," thus making our tiny pathetic waves sound cool.

Well, as someone who used to be called surfermom by a bunch of teen boys, whose sons travel to the best spots in Florida on a regular basis and who have surfed in Coata Rica several times, I'd say Sebastian Inlet on a regular basis(monster hole), Ponce Inlet up by New Smyrna, Cocoa Beach at the pier and 16th street( I think that is the one), picnic tables at Patrick Air Force base, and Reef Road in Palm Beach(no place to park near it though so you have to walk some). There is one good beach to surf over by Tampa but the name slips my mind right now-of course you only go when storms are out there.

Learning to surf in Florida you learn to control the board and the waves sort of,that is why so many on the surf tour and champions have been from Florida. Head high waves have been far and in between this year., but there have been some good days. Last spring the week after my son was down in Costa Rica The waves here were just as good as down there. lol People tend to knock Florida surfing, but pros are here quite a bit.

The fall and winter are the best surfing. Summers we have Lake Atlantic unless there is an early storm. If there is a storm-even hundreds of miles out in the Atlantic it usually will effect the waves as it goes past. We have had some 6 ft. waves that were surfable before it got too rough at times. Some years are better than others.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM

258 posts, read 614,701 times
Sebastion Inlet - Ground Zero Florida Surf ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida