Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:01 AM

29 posts, read 85,306 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to the city data forums but figured it would be a good way to gain knowledge and understanding to help support a life decision that my Wife and I could make in the upcoming months.

My wife is from Nevada and I am from Wisconsin. We currently live in Illinois. I have a job that pays extremely well. My wife just returned from Afghanistan and is due to end her contract with the US Army in May. At that point she will be out of the Nevada National Guard. Over her deployment of 14 months, we were able to save a lot of money. We have over $100,000 in the bank right now and are at a crossroads.

We are nervous about buying a home in IL because of the outrageous taxes. We would pay $8000-10000 easy on a $200-250k home for sure. Since my wife has not started actively looking just yet, we are starting to discuss something we've never discussed in the past, a possible relocation to Florida. I would give up a great paying job in IL but do feel confident in my ability that it wouldn't take me long to move onto the next venture. My wife would be just beginning her search preferably finding something in the federal government or state sector so she would have a chance to transfer years of service towards a retirement. Finidng a civillian job with the military is also something she is very interested in.

We want to start a family. I'm 34 and my wife is 29. We think that we are at the point in our life where we can make a crazy decision to just leave what we have (renting now) and start a fresh life! It's scary but also exciting! For me, I don't have a college degree but am working towards it on the GI Bill. I know that puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to even getting interviews, however I'm hoping my solid resume with 7 years of leadership/management experience will help overlook the degree barrier.

We know that we can buy a nice home in Florida for $150-250k and have relatively low taxes in comparison to IL. We have done some browsing in Auburndale, Winter Haven, Lakeland, because of some employers I'm targeting in those areas but also North - Jacksonville FL.

We want to live comfortably without worry. I think even making what I make, if we were to buy a home here in IL with the outrageous taxes, I would consistently worry. And God forbid the job goes away, we would be in trouble. I've always said (I'm probably not the majority of Americans here) that I want to buy a home that is nice, but not living beyond means, and if I were to lose my job tomorrow, I could go get a job flipping burgers and still make ends meet while I worked to get back on my feet.

I don't have that feeling in IL but I believe I would in FL.

Help us make a decision without adding bias If you were in our situation, would you effectively start fresh in a great place like FL knowing you could get a very affordable/nice home and have relatively inexpensive taxes long term or would you hang onto a good thing in IL knowing you have a great salary but live in worry/stress because of the cost of living?

Interested in feedback/suggestions for areas/jobs. Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

PS: I work in the Supply Chain Logistics industry and my wife has a bachelors in Psychology and would like something in HR perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Dont move to FL without having jobs nailed down first.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
I personally wouldn't give up A "great job that pays extremly well" to move to Florida. Especially at your age. I would hang on to a "good thing" in IL and visit Florida a few times a year between Dec and April. Good Luck.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 15,169 times
Your both very young. Continue working and saving. Although $100k sounds like a lot of money, it isn't. Especially if you move without either of you employed. There's nothing wrong with continuing to rent in Ill.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I believe our plan would be for at least one of us to have a very good job in FL prior to moving. I believe it will be my wife most likely because of her background, recent experience, and current credentials. If she is able to land something good, we can comfortably make the move and I'd be willing to give up what I have to start fresh. I could pass some time by continuing to pursue my bachelors degree through the GI bill she passed onto me.

I do agree, $100k is not a lot of money, but I will say I'd rather have $100k in the bank opposed to $0. So many more options! Including what I'm discussing right here.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
You wife will face stiff competition for entry level HR jobs. You're looking at around $32,000 max for an "hr assistant/ coordinator" position. That would be best case scenerio for the Central FL area, as an example. I used to work in HR. I'm seeing the same job I held (entry level) in 2001 posted with pay that is LESS than I made my first year on that job back then.

As far as your situation, I think your lack of degree will be a big factor. I used to work in the field that you mentioned. Two big companies in Orlando with similar operations are CHEP (a large, int'l company) and iGPS (started by the former CEO of CHEP). IFCO is also a player in Florida. You could start with these and see what you find.

If I were you, I would continue to rent in IL until you have your degree.

Also, do NOT assume that you can run out and get a "burger flipping" job. You will be "overqualified" and you won't get hired.

I would actually put your chances at employment as better than your wife's, but only once you have your degree. As I mentioned, HR is very competitive. Also, in FL, state jobs are being cut right and left and this will continue for awhile since we have another $2 B state deficit.

Does your wife have any HR experience? What was her role in the Nat'l Guard? Without any HR experience, she won't be landing a "good job" right off the bat.

Also, Auburndale, Winter Haven, and Lakeland wouldn't be anywhere near my "top ten" places to move and start a family. You would be in for major culture shock.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer12 View Post
Your both very young. Continue working and saving. Although $100k sounds like a lot of money, it isn't. Especially if you move without either of you employed. There's nothing wrong with continuing to rent in Ill.
There is also nothing wrong with taking a chance in life either, esp. with a $100k cushion. The OP is not exactly a high school student.

And sounds like he is already planning to secure a job before coming.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Contrary to several posts, this is a great time for Florida. The housing market has seemingly 'bottomed' in several areas and is now showing signs of life. While we've still got only a "91-percent employment rate", that area is showing some improvement. As you already know, there is no state income tax in Florida ... and you also get a 'Homestead Exemption' on your housing purchase. Yes, the sky could still fall in Florida, ... just as well as in Illinois, but, ask yourself this: "Would you rather have a clear blue sky or a cold, snowy sky fall on your head?"

Stick with your plan to find solid employment for at least you or your wife ... and follow your dreams, before kids put even a bigger limit on your ability to be flexible.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the information so far. Good stuff.

As for my wife, she was a Signal Officer in the National Guard. I mentioned HR initially because of her desire to help people and consistently work with people vs. sitting behind a desk all day with little or no interaction with people.

Perhaps I should throw this question out there to the group. If you were in our shoes and you decided to make this move to FL after one of us secures employment of course, is there a certain area/region you would target? I mentioned the cities above because of a few employers I was looking at, but at this stage, nothing is locked down. I think the only place we really aren't interested in looking at is Miami or coastal cities that deal with hurricanes year after year.

Interested in suggestions...

Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Contrary to several posts, this is a great time for Florida. The housing market has seemingly 'bottomed' in several areas and is now showing signs of life. While we've still got only a "91-percent employment rate", that area is showing some improvement. As you already know, there is no state income tax in Florida ... and you also get a 'Homestead Exemption' on your housing purchase. Yes, the sky could still fall in Florida, ... just as well as in Illinois, but, ask yourself this: "Would you rather have a clear blue sky or a cold, snowy sky fall on your head?"

Stick with your plan to find solid employment for at least you or your wife ... and follow your dreams, before kids put even a bigger limit on your ability to be flexible.
I agree with this, especially if at least one of you secures a job first, and you have that big cushion in the bank.

As far as where to live - remember everyone has different interests and it depends on what you like. There is nothing wrong with Lakeland/Winterhaven/Auburndale - we lived in the area and it has a lot of nice things to offer. One benefit is taxes and homeowner's insurance are a lot lower than the coastal cities, and while nowhere in Florida is safe from hurricanes, it is MUCH higher ground and you at least don't worry about storm surge there. I actually think it is a good place to look for employment, that region is actually at the top of Forbe's list for this year:

Where The Jobs Will (And Won't) Be In 2012 - Forbes

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida