Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:27 AM

13 posts, read 46,876 times

Advertisements

I have the option of relocating to Gainesville or Daytona Beach for work. I've lived in Gainesville before but have never lived in Daytona Beach (although I have visited Daytona Beach several times).

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of living in Gainesville and Daytona Beach? Where would you prefer to live, and why?

ANY feedback is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Gainesville to me is too isolated from other areas as it seems it's two hours from everything. I'm not a huge fan of Daytona Beach proper but surrounding communities like Ormond Beach, Port Orange and Deland are quite nice in my opinion and provide easy access in terms of a commute. For me I think the Daytona area wins due to geography/proximity to other areas and coastal living which is part of the charm of living in Florida.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
Exclamation More Info Please

I'd like to help you, but think you need to post more info. of specifics that are attractive to your "quality of life" and find which area will be the best fit for you. i.e. I'm a single thirty-something and enjoy sports fishing, cycling, my church activities and have a passion for Thai food and access to health food stores, etc.

Some "General" Exclusive Attributes about each community:

Gainesville
  • Community Life revolves around UF (company town)
  • State of FL facing serious cuts in Education
  • Focus of businesses, services tends to be college age people (may be too immature for you if you're not in that age range)
  • Higher IQ + life experiences, outside points of reference
  • College town liberal attitudes/acceptance that's unique to the general area
  • Turns into a ghost town during UF football games
  • Gentrified community (w/ higher overheads to match)
  • Within the Frost Line (colder weather)
  • Has airport for connecting flights
  • Amazing recreational opportunities (hiking, biking, kyaking, etc.)
  • Amazing selection of special interest groups (recreational, cultural, religious, educational interest, professional, civic, etc.)
  • Fairly stable community to raise family (depending on neighborhood/schools)
Daytona Beach
  • "World's Most Famous Beach"
  • Below the Frost Line (better weather in winter + summer)
  • Breath-taking scenery of Atlantic + Halifax River
  • Ideal location for day trips to Orlando, St Augustine, Melbourne, Atlantic Beach
  • Great recreational opportunities (biking, kyaking, windsurfing, jet ski, fishing, etc.)
  • In the process of gentrification (more opportunity for return on investment) but also tension from transition too as Daytona Beach creates community consensus on new ID
  • Local governments behind national trends, paradigms, experience
  • History of being a "magnet" for homeless/carny types from other US states (DON'T confuse them w/ the locals paying for them!) This is shifting now.
  • Lower IQ + life experiences, outside points of reference (TV)
  • Culturally diverse community: White, Black, East Indian + Hispanic
  • Highly Educated Black Community (Bethune-Cookman University)
  • Diversified Community: caters to motorheads, bikers, families, seniors, singles, college students, tourists who can find services to fill their unique needs
  • Lots of Special Events: Sports (home to LPGA, NASCAR), Festivals, Bike Weeks, Music, Cultural, Arts and Recreational. You can have both quiet and a little excitement too (for a specific time, then it goes away)
  • Home to recognized Embry–Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU), Daytona State College, UCF/FSU Grad School programs and Wyotech and ACT Trade Colleges as well as other Technical Colleges (ie good student age populations)
  • Anti-Establishment/edgy community attitude focusing on people who choose to live outside "The Matrix" (and repulsive to those who do! )
  • Strong desire to remain different than the rest of "cookie-cutter" Florida communities
  • Home Base for lots of recognized artists, musicians, performers and successful business people
  • Great access to services in town/nearby and stays open late
  • Only good for kids if you enjoy a challenge, are an over-achiever and have a pair (or just give up and put them in private schools nearby). I do know people who have great kids who've managed to advocate to get them into the right programs!
Hope this helps!

Life's what YOU make it!

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 02-11-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
I think location wise Daytona Beach with the ocean at your doorstep would be the best choice.Gainesville(as you know)is largely a college town!!

Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Since I live in New Smyrna, which is 19 miles south of Daytona, I am partial to DB!

And daytonadewd gave a great comparison list!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,428 times
For me I think the Daytona area wins due to geography/proximity to other areas and coastal living which is part of the charm of living in Florida.http://www.*****.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I agree with everyone else here - DB, due to all the reasons cited.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:17 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Daytona is a trash hole.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 46,876 times
Daytonadewd - great response. Thank you for the informative message!

I am a pretty laid back guy. I don't watch a lot of football....in fact, I'm not a football fan at all. I enjoy being around people who "choose to live outside the matrix", but I live a fairly conventional lifestyle.

However, I want to ask you this - as a single guy who is used to dating attractive women, I'm curious about what kinds of dating opportunities Daytona has vs. Gainesville.

According to city-data, both cities have identical median ages (38.7 years). What is the outlook for a single professional who is very well educated in Gainesville vs. Daytona Beach?

in other words, which area has the better "scenery", in your opinion?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:10 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I'd like to help you, but think you need to post more info. of specifics that are attractive to your "quality of life" and find which area will be the best fit for you. i.e. I'm a single thirty-something and enjoy sports fishing, cycling, my church activities and have a passion for Thai food and access to health food stores, etc.

Some "General" Exclusive Attributes about each community:

Gainesville
  • Community Life revolves around UF (company town)
  • State of FL facing serious cuts in Education
  • Focus of businesses, services tends to be college age people (may be too immature for you if you're not in that age range)
  • Higher IQ + life experiences, outside points of reference
  • College town liberal attitudes/acceptance that's unique to the general area
  • Turns into a ghost town during UF football games
  • Gentrified community (w/ higher overheads to match)
  • Within the Frost Line (colder weather)
  • Amazing recreational opportunities (hiking, biking, kyaking, etc.)
  • Amazing selection of special interest groups (recreational, cultural, religious, educational interest, professional, civic, etc.)
  • Fairly stable community to raise family (depending on neighborhood/schools)
Daytona Beach
  • "World's Most Famous Beach"
  • Below the Frost Line (better weather in winter + summer)
  • Breath-taking scenery of Atlantic + Halifax River
  • Ideal location for day trips to Orlando, St Augustine, Melbourne, Atlantic Beach
  • Great recreational opportunities (biking, kyaking, windsurfing, jet ski, fishing, etc.)
  • In the process of gentrification (more opportunity for return on investment) but also tension from transition too as Daytona Beach creates community consensus on new ID
  • Local governments behind national trends, paradigms, experience
  • History of being a "magnet" for homeless/carny types from other US states (DON'T confuse them w/ the locals paying for them!) This is shifting now.
  • Lower IQ + life experiences, outside points of reference (TV)
  • Culturally diverse community: White, Black, East Indian + Hispanic
  • Highly Educated Black Community (Bethune-Cookman University)
  • Diversified Community: caters to motorheads, bikers, families, seniors, singles, college students, tourists who can find services to fill their unique needs
  • Lots of Special Events: Sports (home to LPGA, NASCAR), Festivals, Bike Weeks, Music, Cultural, Arts and Recreational. You can have both quiet and a little excitement too (for a specific time, then it goes away)
  • Home to recognized Embry–Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU), Daytona State College, UCF/FSU Grad School programs and Wyotech and ACT Trade Colleges as well as other Technical Colleges (ie good student age populations)
  • Anti-Establishment/edgy community attitude focusing on people who choose to live outside "The Matrix" (and repulsive to those who do! )
  • Strong desire to remain different than the rest of "cookie-cutter" Florida communities
  • Home Base for lots of recognized artists, musicians, performers and successful business people
  • Great access to services in town/nearby and stays open late
  • Only good for kids if you enjoy a challenge, are an over-achiever and have a pair (or just give up and put them in private schools nearby). I do know people who have great kids who've managed to advocate to get them into the right programs!
Hope this helps!

Life's what YOU make it!

Good Luck!
Good summary of Gainesville. Education cuts won't hit much as Gainesville has some extra taxes in place for schools and has some very good ones.

Business on east side of 75 is all about college kids while west is all about families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida