Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
I would choose Tampa because the traffic is less hectic and its not a tourist trap. I like to visit Orlando for the theme parks but I would absolutely hate to deal with tourists on a daily basis and be charged outrageous prices at local establishments just because Disney is close by. Please keep in mind that some establishments within a 10 mile radius of Disney assume that everyone there is going to Disney so they increase their prices to take advantage of that. I dont like that at all. For example, I live outside of Tampa but drove over to the Orlando outlets on Vineland which isnt close to Disney in my opinion and was told that their prices are increased due to the vicinity to Disney. So, for a less hectic pace and no price gouging... I vote for Tampa.
The outlets on Vineland aren't close to Disney? That is smack in the middle of the tourist sector between Disney and SeaWorld. That and the Florida Mall are the most frequented shopping centers of tourists visiting Orlando. If you live in Orlando, you are typically not eating and shopping down there. Downtown Orlando is 20 miles from Disney, and many residential areas are areas much further away than that. The local shopping and dining in areas like Downtown, Winter Park, Altamonte, Oviedo, Waterford Lakes, etc are not affected by tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
My personal preference, Orlando in the Conway area. Not near Disney, but you won't be going there daily or anything.

In only 18 months, I think gradually theme-parking it would be neat.

Last edited by CoreLysium; 05-07-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM

663 posts, read 1,145,112 times
I don't know who told you Tampa is expensive, but they were way off. Tampa has a lower cost of living than Orlando.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
I prefer Tampa or even St. Pete (well, anywhere in Pinellas), it's closer to the ocean, which is, after all, why most of us are here. $1,500 will go a long way here in most locations.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 16,927 times
Thanks for the great information everyone. I'm happily surprised to find out that Tampa isn't as expensive as I thought it was. My hubby is leaning towards Orlando and I'm leaning towards Tampa. I think either way, we can't really go wrong.

So glad this board is here to give us non-Floridian's awesome advice.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 PM

85 posts, read 159,561 times
If you are a yuppie go to orlando
If your life is not cheap plastic and fake go to tampa bay

Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
Translation of above: "I hate Orlando and like Tampa Bay"

Old 05-08-2012, 06:52 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
Orlando isn't inside on of it's theme parks, you know. If you drive a little further east, there's actually a city. derp.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I prefer Tampa or even St. Pete (well, anywhere in Pinellas), it's closer to the ocean, which is, after all, why most of us are here. $1,500 will go a long way here in most locations.
Bingo with your mention of Pinellas County which seems to evade the attention of people looking to move to the Tampa area, despite comprising 50% of the Tampa Bay metro area. Northeast St Pete, St Pete Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, The Redingtons, Northeast Clearwater/Countryside, Belleair, Belleair Bluffs, Safety Harbor, East Lake and Palm Harbor are beautiful areas with a lot to offer.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Bingo with your mention of Pinellas County which seems to evade the attention of people looking to move to the Tampa area, despite comprising 50% of the Tampa Bay metro area. Northeast St Pete, St Pete Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, The Redingtons, Northeast Clearwater/Countryside, Belleair, Belleair Bluffs, Safety Harbor, East Lake and Palm Harbor are beautiful areas with a lot to offer.
Yup, if it were me, I would definitely choose Pinellas over Tampa (Hillsborough) if commute were not an issue. I like all the areas Kyle mentioned (except not crazy about Palm Harbor, too generic for me) but favor old NE in St. Pete, St. Pete Beach/Treasure Island, Indian Rocks and Safety Harbor. Definitely check these areas out if commuting is not an issue. They are so much more BEAUTIFUL than almost anywhere in Tampa (and I am a native of Tampa, live in beautiful Sarasota now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida