Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:51 PM

200 posts, read 814,250 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas in Florida that are extremely white collar/ young professional and feel like Arlington, VA or Alexandria, VA, Uptown Dallas, or Lincoln Park- Chicago? I am trying to find that here in FL. I know of Brickell and Coral Gables in Miami, Downtown FTL, and Winter Park, I have heard South Tampa/Hyde Park, is there anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
There are a few more such neighborhoods near Hyde Park: Channelside, Harbour Island, and in the other direction Westshore. Across the bay is downtown St. Pete / Old Northeast. In Jax there is Avondale / Riverside. Also, you've overlooked downtown Orlando (east of I-4).

Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
Some of our regular posters have come from that area. I know user8 posts regularly and he came from there , so he can say if these areas here resemble what you are trying to find here.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,881 times
I lived in North Arlington, VA. I now live in Beach Park section of South Tampa. Very similar incomes, education levels, mindsets.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 AM

296 posts, read 658,248 times
East Lake - North Pinellas... Bellair Beach South Pinellas... Westchase Tampa

Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 PM

353 posts, read 802,418 times
Certain neighborhoods in South Tampa (DM me if you need specifics). There are parts of South Tampa that are extremely run-down and low-class.

In South Tampa (these are the only areas I would consider):

Beach Park
Hyde Park (only the streets off Bayshore Blvd)
Golfview
Parkland Estates
Culbreath Bayou

Other areas:

Snell Isle St. Pete
Old NE St. Pete
Westchase
Parts of New Tampa
Certain streets of Carrollwood

Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,444 times
Wesley Chapel, specifically Wiregrass, sounds like it might fit the bill too.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
Are there any areas in Florida that are extremely white collar/ young professional and feel like Arlington, VA or Alexandria, VA, Uptown Dallas, or Lincoln Park- Chicago? I am trying to find that here in FL. I know of Brickell and Coral Gables in Miami, Downtown FTL, and Winter Park, I have heard South Tampa/Hyde Park, is there anything else?
Alexandria VA? No. I've lived all over Florida and there isn't any city close to it in Florida IMHO. Some areas of South Florida (Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and Miami) have very nice suburbs, however. Weston, for example, is an affluent suburb with a lot of educated people. The medium household income is considerably higher than other areas of Florida.

Oops - I just realized you posted this on the Tampa Bay forum. I thought this was a general Florida question.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
my recommendation would be to stick with Arlington, Uptown Dallas, and Lincoln Park. the white collar/young professional, educated, forward thinking vibe is elusive if not an illusion in florida. see thru the mirage and stick to the above spots. good luck

Old 06-26-2012, 04:29 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
You will not find a single place in FL that is anything remotely close to either the posh Arlington or the beautifully preserved, historic Alexandria. Do not come down here looking for them because you'll only be dissappointed. The closest you'll come to finding old town Alexandria is St. Augustine, but with a totally different vibe.

If, however, you come down expecting (hoping) to seek out new and different vibes, then you'll be ok.

South Tampa/Hyde Park are nothing like NoVA. The closest thing I would liken them to that you'd be familiar with would be the outskirts of Reston. Nice, with a few things to do here and there, and a smattering of young folks. SoHo reminds me, vaguely, of a tiny sliver of Clarendon or Ballston, but when I say sliver I mean sliver.

Ybor is vaguely reminiscent of Adams Morgan in DC. Even sells pizza by the slice like the jumbo slices in Adsmor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida