Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM

8 posts, read 14,390 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my familly and I are looking to relocate from Brooklyn NY to Florida. I have no idea on what neighborhoods and what areas to start looking into. There will be about 5-6 of us moving...my husband does handy work and carpentry here in Brooklyn. He works for cash off the books and I am a college student. My mother in law speaks mostly Spanish and has worked as a nanny and housekeeper for a Kosher family for many years. Both my husband and my mother in law are hoping to find a place where they can find the same type of work. We definitely need to be in a nice area where there are alot of hispanics for my mother in law to feel comfortable. She needs to be able to walk places and close by public transportation. An area close to everything; schools, shopping, everything we would need. We are looking to rent/lease a beautiful home or maybe even buy something. I hope someone can help me and give me some good advice on areas! thank u!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 PM

140 posts, read 504,384 times
I moved here from Jersey in the Tampa area....and its too southern.

I say go to Fort Lauderdale area...its almost all people form new jersey and new york area. Plus any where on the Fort Lauderdale cost is close to the beach. Plus Miami and weekend cruises are so close.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
I don't like to be pessimistic but you should really secure your job situation before moving here. Any construction related jobs are hard to come by here as we were one of the hardest hit states in the housing bust. That being said, if you can sure up your job situation I would suggest you take a look at the Orlando-Kissimmee area. There's a large Hispanic population in the Orlando area in general but a large concentration in South Orlando to Kissimmee area. Many businesses catering to Hispanics including grocery, restaurants, banks, general services you name it. What will be a little more difficult is finding a more walkable neighborhood. For this I would recommend Hunter's Creek, South Chase and Meadow Woods. Ohh, and there are plenty of NYC transplants living in that area so shouldn't be too much culture shock.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 14,390 times
thank u guys!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM

18 posts, read 34,512 times
I think it is quite different on the two coasts of Florida.
There are more things like you find in NYC on the east coast of Florida.
I mean things like the type of bagels and pizza. But also things like traffic
and rudeness.
The east side is on the Atlantic, which is a bit colder, but definitely swimmable
all year.
I found the west side more affordable and calmer, less frantic. But I guess the
job opportunities are less.
I would guess that the home health job is easy to find in either place. The carpentry
jobs are going to require a lot of patience in either place. People in Florida have come
to expect poor performance from service workers. And I've heard that sometimes folks
don't pay for the work that was done. So you'll have to scramble a lot to grow your
business.
But the payoff is nice weather in the winter. And if you like the heat, you will love the rest
of the year. And enjoy the water !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida