Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 73,611 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring in a few years and am looking to move south. I noticed a lot of people seem to prefer Tennessee over Florida...in fact, many leave Florida for Tennessee. I know that Tenn is cheaper with 4 seasons, but is there anyone out there of the opposite opinion and actually choose to live in Florida rather than Tennessee? I am trying to get a feel for both these areas. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM

57 posts, read 330,813 times
Hi Rock Star
I don't have an opposite opinion but your post caught my attention because of the TN/FL comparison.
I am a native of FL but have traveled and lived alot of places around the world. I am in FL again & will probably be here for a few more yrs due to family obligations. That said, if I had a choice, I would retire to TN (east TN). I'd never look back.
It's better living (in my opinion). You still have the seasons- without the extremes and the folks up there treat everyone like family once they get to know you. I lived in Cumberland, White & Fentress counties and all were great. I was close enough that I could run over to Knoxville in a short time on I-40 if I felt the desire to shop in a larger city. Never really had the need though. I found everything I needed right there.
Good luck on your move

Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I would never live in TN.

I've only visited TN, and even having stayed in a nice area (stayed with a friend in an upscale part of Franklin, just outside Nashville), no thanks.

TN is landlocked, for one, and no matter how 'redneck' it may be in NorthEast Florida (I live in Jax), it was nothing compared to TN, IMO. Personally, I need a little more civilization than TN could offer, and Jax has more of it from what I'd seen.

Also, I can appreciate the change of seasons, having come from NY orginally, but found TN's Fall depressingly grey - I did not care for it at all. Our winter gets "coldish" here in Jax, but at least it's not depressing-looking.

This is just my feedback, I've never lived in TN, but I personally felt no attraction to it.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Tenn. attracts a certain type of Floridian. No one I know would ever chooose Tennessee over Florida.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Tenn. attracts a certain type of Floridian. No one I know would ever chooose Tennessee over Florida.
There is a certain type of Floridian that we fervently hope will never move to Tennessee.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:12 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There is a certain type of Floridian that we fervently hope will never move to Tennessee.
It's a deal!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:36 AM

9 posts, read 73,611 times
Ok, I get it. Florida has the beaches and Tennesse has the mountains. Tennessee is cheaper to live, but much more rural way of life. But there seems to be more unhappy residents (according to the posters) in Florida than there is in Tennesse. In fact, I am new to the forum and have read through some of the southern states and Tennessee seems to have a lot of posters really talking up their state. Are people really loving that laid back country lifestyle. How about the kids? Mine are adults now, but I think they would have not liked being moved "out to the country." Any thoughts?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I've lived two places in my lifetime...Tennessee and Florida. I loved the mountains of east Tennessee, but not enough to go back for anything other than a visit. Before you move, check into the healthcare. Much of it is nothing more than glorified first aid stations.

Also, a colleague of mine moved to Cumberland last year from Sarasota. Built a new 3000 square foot home. They're now trying to sell and going on the road in a motor home.

I have spent many many happy days in Tennessee, it's just not the quality of life I'm looking for. I love Florida!

Last edited by TampaKaren; 10-04-2007 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 AM
m&k

9 posts, read 105,308 times
sorry how do i post a new thread??

Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 AM

40 posts, read 95,299 times
Default Florida or Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Star View Post
I will be retiring in a few years and am looking to move south. I noticed a lot of people seem to prefer Tennessee over Florida...in fact, many leave Florida for Tennessee. I know that Tenn is cheaper with 4 seasons, but is there anyone out there of the opposite opinion and actually choose to live in Florida rather than Tennessee? I am trying to get a feel for both these areas. Thanks.
Check the air quality in the area of Tennessee that you are interested in. Especially if you have any kind of asthma, etc. You can check on the EPA site. We moved to Western NC near the Tennesse border from Florida and are looking to return to Florida because of the bad air quality here. It is affecting many people in this area, especially those retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida