Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times

Advertisements

Burmese Python Found With Record 87 Eggs

They need to open a season so people can kill off most of these snakes
which are taking over Florida, and are also moving north to other states ! ! !

Holy Herpetology! Burmese Python Found With Record 87 Eggs - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
I think it may be too late. The invasive species in Florida, particularly reptiles, have made themselves at home and proliferated at very fast rates in south Florida. Monitor lizards, iguanas, pythons....they have all set up shop and with few natural predators they are going to town on our eco system. They only thing that tends to stop them is long cold streaks.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I think it may be too late. The invasive species in Florida, particularly reptiles, have made themselves at home and proliferated at very fast rates in south Florida. Monitor lizards, iguanas, pythons....they have all set up shop and with few natural predators they are going to town on our eco system. They only thing that tends to stop them is long cold streaks.

If enough people become the predators and hunt them down
and shoot them they will decrease in #'s.
Just like when the killed of most of the Bison.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:02 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Closing down the exotic pet business is a good place to start. As far as I know, our gutless legislature has done bumpkis to outlaw it. Free enterprise and all that I suppose.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Florida Fish & Wildlife is currently giving out free and unlimited permits to take non-native snakes. The barrier seems to be that they require a fair amount of paperwork on the 'specs' of each snake taken since they're relying on the hunters to help build their profile of snake movement.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
My understanding is that the problem is not a lack of permits, but, the fact that these highly elusive critters are thriving in the Everglades (eg; Burmese python with 87 eggs) ... beyond anyone's ability to either track or hunt them down. Plus, they are endangering the entire ecosystem by literally eating anything and everything in their path.

Perhaps if there was a bounty on them or if they had some secondary market value (snake skin boots?) ... but, thus far, it's pretty much a one-way train: Foreign capture -- U.S. Pet Store -- Resident who has no idea what they are getting into --- Everglades or other remote area.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,038 times
I moved out of Florida because of the snakes, coming into my home and eating my baby birds in the cage while I was sleeping... Do you know how creepy that is???? Who can feel comfortable with this kind of environment????? bugs, snakes, fire ants,,, palmetto bugs ,,, you name it, and Florida has it.. I moved to Mississippi and in the 3 and 1/2 years of living here, I have not come across any snakes,,, fire ants YES, but no snakes... UGH!!!!
THE BIG PROBLEM IS "GOVERNMENT" YES, THEY DONT CARE ONE BIT ABOUT TAKEING CONTROL OF PEOPLE BUYING SUCH HORRIBLE CREATURES AND BRINGING THEM INTO THEIR HOME AND SLEEPING WITH THEM AND WHEN THEY GET TOO BIG TO HANDLE THEY LET THEM GO INTO THE WILD........... NO ONE CARES ENOUGH...

Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
My understanding is that the problem is not a lack of permits, but, the fact that these highly elusive critters are thriving in the Everglades (eg; Burmese python with 87 eggs) ... beyond anyone's ability to either track or hunt them down. Plus, they are endangering the entire ecosystem by literally eating anything and everything in their path.

Perhaps if there was a bounty on them or if they had some secondary market value (snake skin boots?) ... but, thus far, it's pretty much a one-way train: Foreign capture -- U.S. Pet Store -- Resident who has no idea what they are getting into --- Everglades or other remote area.
Yes, although we only hear about these creatures when one wonders into civilization or is captured most of them probably live deep in the everglades in uninhabited areas and this is where they are thriving. Like with most pest, it's not the ones you can see that you need to worry about, it's the ones that you don't see.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I sure hope the cold keeps them out of the panhandle.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM

I have heard that they have been found in the Carolinas and Georgia.

Georgia's giant pythons

Special Report: Georgia's giant pythons - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

Huge Burmese Pythons Released in South Carolina Snake Pit

Huge Burmese Pythons Released in South Carolina Snake Pit | Fox News

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida