Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Interesting theory but Florida pays a whopping maximum of $275 a week and as low as $32 per week depending upon income level prior to losing your job, and roughly 15% of the recently unemployed are even receiving benefits because the state has denied the remainder.

TALLAHASSEE: Groups claim thousands being denied jobless benefits in Florida - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

Yep, the unemployment benefit is awfully meager, but now you are eligible for Food Stamps, free healthcare, section 8 housing, church food pantries, etc. Many of them may have mortgages and are no longer paying on them as well... letting the mortgage company know they are unemployed and looking for work... getting them 12 months in free rent or so. Car? Who cares? They have nowhere to go anyhow. Take the bus... isn't it free or super discounted if you don't have money?

In most cases, the people that were making $10 or less an hour are pretty much living the same lifestyle on the benefits as they were when working.

I could never live off of $10/hr. But many people do and are content doing so... it's all they know.

Of course, should I become unemployed and not able to land a job.... I'll likely sing a different tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Yep, the unemployment benefit is awfully meager, but now you are eligible for Food Stamps, free healthcare, section 8 housing, church food pantries, etc.
Food stamps have been cut back and one is eligible a few weeks after one is able to demonstrate they have zero cash in possession and none incoming. The health department offers free clinical visits on a limited basis with a big back log. Section 8 housing isn't free and costs a decent sum of money. Food pantries aren't consistent and are always scrambling for donations and never have enough for all of those in need. My point is that there's this general belief that are all kinds of safety nets for those in need when in actuality there is very little, and it's becoming less and less at a time when it should be more available.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFL View Post
Many unemployed people simply do not want to work...
Sure, they go through the motions to get hired and are so bad they can't make it through the probationary period...

The real estate market HAD to correct itself, no way it could have continued the way it was going...
Until you can quantify this nonsense, please dont reproduce

Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 AM

170 posts, read 206,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Until you can quantify this nonsense, please dont reproduce
How about I copy & paste my post from another thread for you...

Yes, unlike most here, I don't look for jobs, however I hire/fire routinely, does that qualify/quantify?...

Quote:
I see all of these posts/threads about no jobs and it really bothers me... (Not so much this thread, however this is about jobs...)

Granted I don't look for jobs, however I do oversee the hiring/firing of people. I have to say that most of the people looking for jobs seem to want the job to look for them...

They want to start out making great money & benefits, proceed to make excuses about why they can't do something, miss work for whatever reason, constantly need to leave early/arrive late, always on personal phone calls... This starts immediately, ...during the probationary period... It seems like a game to many,...how long they can get away with this and still get paid... perhaps they must 'try' to look for a job and when they find one, get fired, so they can tell their loved ones, "I tried, it wasn't my fault"...

I am sure that the last 30 or so that has been through our 'revolving doors' this year are still looking for a job. Good luck to who ever hires them and has to put up with them... (We have about 20 people that have worked here for more than 10 years, about 50 total employees, it is not a bad company...)

Bluntly, it seems that good employees have good jobs and the lesser desirables complain about no jobs...

I just want what's coming to me, man. I just want what I deserve! [\sarcasm]

I googled 'tampa classified jobs'...

just a few from the top

Tampa classifieds - jobs, homes, cars, pets - Tampa Tribune newspaper classified ads | TBO.com
over 5500 listed there

tampabay.com - jobs | Know it now. | St. Petersburg Times and tbt*

tampa bay area all jobs classifieds - craigslist

Easier for you to look yourself. This is just 1 way to find jobs...
Google

Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
How about I copy & paste my post from another thread for you...

Yes, unlike most here, I don't look for jobs, however I hire/fire routinely, does that qualify/quantify?...

Ha Ha . . .Sure. Righto . . .

To get unemployment means you have been working, previously.

I know you are not intellectually capable of grasping this simple concept, but to receive unemployment you hav e to have a work history. Unemployed people have attained a lifestyle that being unemployed makes very hard to accommodate. In terms even a FOX/Rick Scott repulicant might understand, this is not a desirable situation.

So no, your fake "unlike most here, I don't look for jobs, however I hire/fire routinely, does that qualify/quantify?..."
does not quantify. Try again after the spill in aisle four is mopped up

Old 11-09-2012, 11:43 AM

170 posts, read 206,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Ha Ha . . .Sure. Righto . . .

To get unemployment means you have been working, previously.

I know you are not intellectually capable of grasping this simple concept, but to receive unemployment you hav e to have a work history. Unemployed people have attained a lifestyle that being unemployed makes very hard to accommodate. In terms even a FOX/Rick Scott repulicant might understand, this is not a desirable situation.

So no, your fake "unlike most here, I don't look for jobs, however I hire/fire routinely, does that qualify/quantify?..."
does not quantify. Try again after the spill in aisle four is mopped up
Hmmm, who said anything about receiving unemployment?... I talking about the people without jobs that are 'looking' for jobs...
...reading comprehension...

I am not a young punk, I'm 50, and quite successful, try again... And yes, people like you work for people like me, although you would most likely see the revolving door...

Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, who said anything about receiving unemployment?... I talking about the people without jobs that are 'looking' for jobs...
...reading comprehension...

I am not a young punk, I'm 50, and quite successful, try again... And yes, people like you work for people like me, although you would most likely see the revolving door...
"Many unemployed people simply do not want to work..."

Again -- Prove this, Ok.
Simply prove this somehow. Very simple. Facts or EOT

Yes, in my stay in Florida I did work for people like you. And ~ Found out the reason why Florida is a joke in the civilized world is generally considered Calcutta West or North Mexico. Keep up the great work

Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Food stamps have been cut back and one is eligible a few weeks after one is able to demonstrate they have zero cash in possession and none incoming. The health department offers free clinical visits on a limited basis with a big back log. Section 8 housing isn't free and costs a decent sum of money. Food pantries aren't consistent and are always scrambling for donations and never have enough for all of those in need. My point is that there's this general belief that are all kinds of safety nets for those in need when in actuality there is very little, and it's becoming less and less at a time when it should be more available.
Me, and many of the people in my life, have struggled by working 40+ hours a week to make ends meat. Must be nice to get free clinical visits, reduced housing costs, or free food, regardless of the hoops one has to jump through to be supported...

Oh and ps, my bum of a stoner friend works 15 hours a week at a Winn-Dixie liquor store and therefore has some money in the bank, and some money coming in, yet somehow magically qualifies for food stamps. As a matter of fact, I suspect the reason he doesn't beg them for more hours at work is that he will then show the state he is capable of earning enough to pay for that food himself and wouldn't have the other 25 hours he should be working that week to sit around and smoke. And how does he afford such a habit you ask, that's right he lives with his gf who the state has no idea about and she makes decent money. So there you have it, 2 people who can and do make enough to survive (albeit meagerly), receiving benefits they really shouldn't get. And you wonder why people scoff at the idea, and people, who complain that there's not enough help for the poor or whatever.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 11-13-2012 at 12:31 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Florida's job market must have taken a mega upswing in the couple weeks since I last visited, picked up a couple job papers in Orlando and found maybe two jobs hiring, both paying minimum wage, the rest of the job papers were school advertisements...

Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Florida's job market must have taken a mega upswing in the couple weeks since I last visited, picked up a couple job papers in Orlando and found maybe two jobs hiring, both paying minimum wage, the rest of the job papers were school advertisements...
"Job papers" aren't the best source for job hunting and not scientifically indicative of the overall job market. Check out websites like Indeed, Careerbuilder or Simply Hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida