Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,209,021 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be interesting. As We know, Florida has some of the largest and popular schools in the country. Now I thought about something one day and decided to ask the forum since people are very "Different" on here, it'd be cool to see what everyone comes up with.

Out of the state Universities in Florida, relocate the top 10 (popularity) into a new region/city and here is the catch, the relocation can not be within 50 Miles of the current location of the school.
  1. University of Florida - Gainesville
  2. University of Central Florida - Orlando
  3. University of South Florida - Tampa
  4. University of Miami - Miami
  5. Florida State University - Tallahassee
  6. Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton
  7. Florida International University - Miami
  8. Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University - Tallahassee
  9. Bethune Cookman University - Daytona Beach
  10. Florida Gulf Coast University - Ft. Myers
Interested in seeing what you guys come up with. Florida is a huge state and I think if certain schools were in other areas, it'd have major affects on how that area would be today!

*NOTE: There are some sub-colleges that are larger than some of the schools listed. (Valencia, Miami-Dade, Broward, Hillsborough) Theses schools were not included because they are not considered "Universities, although they are apart of the Florida College System with large student bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,900,155 times
1.UF,Orlando,A little more central to the entire state and a pop.center
2.UCF,Somewhere between Daytona and Cocoa Beach,with the space program in slow mode the area needs another employer
3.USF,Naples or Ft.Myers,It's more southern so the name would make more sense and given that USF is a big school it would invigorate the area which is known to be a more sleepy,retiree area
4.UM,Boca Raton,half the student body comes from the Northeast and Boca would suit that just fine
5.FSU,Tampa area,would create a cool I-4 rivalry
6.FAU,Miami,don't know why,but you want me to move it.Also Miami would need a school and FAU is not as big as FIU and FIU is getting too crowded.
7.FIU,Tallahassee,I guess the capital needs a school??
8.FAMU,Jacksonville
9.Bethune Cookman,Pensacola
10.FGCU,Panama City

Old 11-23-2012, 04:22 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,328,208 times
What a stupid idea. They are fine as-is.

Consequently, UF is where it's at because at the time of Florida statehood, Ocala was going to be the capitol of the state.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,008,363 times
[*]University of Florida - Gainesville
I would put UF in a more happening city than Gainesville and in area befitting it's top status in the state. Fort Lauderdale strikes me as the best in terms of visual appeal, demographics and "Florida feel".
[*]University of Central Florida - Orlando
I feel it's placed pretty close to accurately in terms of what it is and name. Perhaps more centrally located in the city versus on the far outskirts would be more appealing.
[*]University of South Florida - Tampa
Naples would be more geographically accurate and provide an instant much needed "younger population" to the area.
[*]University of Miami - Miami
Not many options outside of where it is, even though technically in Coral Gables.
[*]Florida State University - Tallahassee
I think a more centralized location would be an advantage for the school. Despite risking FSU/UF alumni head explosions moving to Gainesville wouldn't be a bad idea.
[*]Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton
With UF relocating to Ft Lauderdale, perhaps a move northward to Melbourne closer to UCF for a rivalry scenario.
[*]Florida International University - Miami
The perfect location given Miami's international feel, don't see it going anywhere else
[*]Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University - Tallahassee
Would leave in Tallahassee
[*]Bethune Cookman University - Daytona Beach
Seems lost in Daytona Beach, needs a more urban city. Miami already has a HBCU so perhaps Tampa.
[*]Florida Gulf Coast University - Ft. Myers
Great location as is and with the USF's move to Naples give SW Florida a rivalry and economic centerpieces.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:25 PM

33 posts, read 158,412 times
I am confused with this thread

Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
1.UF,Orlando,A little more central to the entire state and a pop.center
2.UCF,Somewhere between Daytona and Cocoa Beach,with the space program in slow mode the area needs another employer
3.USF,Naples or Ft.Myers,It's more southern so the name would make more sense and given that USF is a big school it would invigorate the area which is known to be a more sleepy,retiree area
4.UM,Boca Raton,half the student body comes from the Northeast and Boca would suit that just fine
5.FSU,Tampa area,would create a cool I-4 rivalry
6.FAU,Miami,don't know why,but you want me to move it.Also Miami would need a school and FAU is not as big as FIU and FIU is getting too crowded.
7.FIU,Tallahassee,I guess the capital needs a school??
8.FAMU,Jacksonville
9.Bethune Cookman,Pensacola
10.FGCU,Panama City
Before I knew where all the stadiums were as a kid, I always thought this was where these schools were. Indeed that would make a great rivalry! It'd also make for a great connection of education along the I-4 corridor!

Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
[*]University of Florida - Gainesville
I would put UF in a more happening city than Gainesville and in area befitting it's top status in the state. Fort Lauderdale strikes me as the best in terms of visual appeal, demographics and "Florida feel".
[*]University of Central Florida - Orlando
I feel it's placed pretty close to accurately in terms of what it is and name. Perhaps more centrally located in the city versus on the far outskirts would be more appealing.
[*]University of South Florida - Tampa
Naples would be more geographically accurate and provide an instant much needed "younger population" to the area.
[*]University of Miami - Miami
Not many options outside of where it is, even though technically in Coral Gables.
[*]Florida State University - Tallahassee
I think a more centralized location would be an advantage for the school. Despite risking FSU/UF alumni head explosions moving to Gainesville wouldn't be a bad idea.
[*]Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton
With UF relocating to Ft Lauderdale, perhaps a move northward to Melbourne closer to UCF for a rivalry scenario.
[*]Florida International University - Miami
The perfect location given Miami's international feel, don't see it going anywhere else
[*]Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University - Tallahassee
Would leave in Tallahassee
[*]Bethune Cookman University - Daytona Beach
Seems lost in Daytona Beach, needs a more urban city. Miami already has a HBCU so perhaps Tampa.
[*]Florida Gulf Coast University - Ft. Myers
Great location as is and with the USF's move to Naples give SW Florida a rivalry and economic centerpieces.
I'd agree with your decisions. ESP the FAU choice.
THE USF and FGCU would make great economic centerpieces for that area.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:03 PM

13,658 posts, read 7,968,055 times
What a logistical nightmare that would be. And the cost! What would you do with the uf campus if the university moved to another city? It would turn into ruins, and the city of Gainesville would lose all of its reason for being. It would dry up. Same with all of the universities. Tallahassee would survive as a city only because it is the capital, but you still have the question of all of the abandoned un-used buildings.

BTW, Bethune Cookman is a private university.

The only thing I would change about the university system is that USF needs to be re-named. Tampa is not, and has never been a part of "South Florida". The only reason they named it that is because at the time of its founding, it was the southernmost public university in the state. Now you have FGCU, FAU, and FIU which are all further south.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 PM

13,658 posts, read 7,968,055 times
Also, the University of Miami is private, and you forgot UWF in Pensacola.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,629,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohnCane View Post
I am confused with this thread
You are not alone.

I think it's a Florida thing.

Last edited by Not_liking_FL; 11-23-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida