Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,157 times

Advertisements

I've visited Florida dozens of times and have traveled all over the state. Something I've always wondered, but haven't asked, is why there seems to be a cultural acceptance of parking cars on lawns in Florida. You can go on Streetview and see it easily. I've never been anywhere else where it's so pervasive. Don't city codes prohibit this practice?

To be fair, there are many, many things that are great about the state. I love visiting. But I don't understand this particular aspect of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
This is common among rednecks. Most communities belong to HOA's which don't allow it. I hardly ever see it unless I'm driving through the country.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Because you need a place for the kids to park their leased cars. Cubans in particular hate yard work, and the lower class people from all over the world. rednecks included have dirt for driveways. Now in the more affluent areas you never see cars on a lawn they actually pay well to take care of. I live in redneck country, but have no real lawn, just woods and actually have a paved guest parking area.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:42 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,161 times
Cars Parked On Lawns - one of the many reasons I did buy in an HOA Community...for when house hunting we visited several areas without HOA's and not only were there cars parked on the lawn...but mobile homes, jet skis, unregistered vehicles, etc...

Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Also there are neighborhoods which don't have street parking and neighborhoods which there is the street, grass then the sidewalk and then the lawn. Plenty of people park cars on the grass between the street and sidewalks.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
I have seen this in many other states. You won't see it in a city that has lots that are so small there is no room for a car to fit on a lawn. But every state I have been to, if the land is large enough, you might see cars parked on the lawn. Not in all subdivisions or areas....but you see it here and there in any state just like you do in Florida. I have seen boats and RVs parked off the driveway in other states too.

In every state ...some cities have rules againt this and many HOAs don't allow it...but FL is no different with these spotty rules versus any other state. Most people don't park on lawns even if there are no rules...this applies to FL and other states.

Usually you'll see it in a home that has lots of young folks living there. Often rental homes with several roommates and they ran out of places to park their vehicles. they are still young and poor and have to live with several roommates. If you notice, Florida hardly has any street parking like you see in many other states with older cities where the cars line both sides of the streets.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,223 times
We also don't have curbs, which makes it a lot easier to use your lawn as a parking lot. I used to live in Tampa, douchbags would park on my front lawn to goto the local bars. I had a lot of them towed, which felt great, but later put a 10 inch curb on he front lawn to stop the idiots.

Not only would curbs serve the purpose of stopping "front lawn parking lots", but they give a much neater, cleaner look to the streets.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
We also don't have curbs, which makes it a lot easier to use your lawn as a parking lot. I used to live in Tampa, douchbags would park on my front lawn to goto the local bars. I had a lot of them towed, which felt great, but later put a 10 inch curb on he front lawn to stop the idiots.

Not only would curbs serve the purpose of stopping "front lawn parking lots", but they give a much neater, cleaner look to the streets.
More infrastructure = more taxes. It's a double edge sword.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
It sure beats parking on the street, and if there's not enough room on the driveway, what are you gonna do?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
It sure beats parking on the street, and if there's not enough room on the driveway, what are you gonna do?
I agree Mike, if you don't have an HOA that forbids it, it's your vehicles, it's your lawn, what's the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida