Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,482 times

Advertisements

Stupid auto correct?!! You can actually see the B52 Bomber. It's painted black. The bomber is not fenced off. You can touch and see the plane. I wouldn't suggest it ;-) but with one of the picnic tables the wings almost touch the ground. I scrambled up the wing, down the fuselage to the front of the plane. Very cool photo. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:31 PM

102 posts, read 185,715 times
My grandfather went to primary flight training at MCO before going on to Tampa to train in the B-26.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
Default McCoy AFB

I remember, my dad was stationed there until they closed! Loved that base

Old 05-24-2017, 07:48 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,749 times
Its why Orlando's international airports initials are MCO,even though you hear people call it OIA.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 AM

617 posts, read 832,342 times
That's very cool, had no idea that was there. If you look on Google Maps satellite view, you can clearly see the plane. Most of you have probably passed right by it without even noticing.

The address to the plane is 8100 Bear Road, Orlando, FL for anyone interested in visiting.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM

94 posts, read 200,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie L. Loper View Post
I not only remember McCoy SAC Base but open house with a airshow. I remember the B52's roaring overhead.
I live next to the old Orlando Army Airbase was Showalter Field then Herdon now Orlando Executive Airport.
Sadly in 1973 or so a B52 fully loaded with fuel but no bombs experienced engine trouble on take off. The pilot tried to turn the big jet back to the airport. He didn't make it's. Crashed into neighborhood of Datwaler Rd or Dr. Only one person was killed on the ground. I don't remember how many houses were wiped out but Merriweather(?) Street took the brunt of it's. It was shortly after the crash the Air Force sold McCoy to the city of Orlando for one dollars. That was the beginning of Orlando International Airport. On Datwaler(?) On the left just before you get to Frontage Rd there is a hill inside a fenced off area is where the B52 crashed. I don't believe there is a memorial or anything explaining the area but there are plenty of No Trespassing signs. I no longer remember the year late 80's or so they flew a B52 to OIA. It's on display at the B52 Park/memorial at OIA. One of Orlando's hidden parks. You can't actually see the plane from the road into OIA on the right. You make a right turn on Cargo Rd, follow that and it's will lead to the park. Also a little known short cut to the other side of OIA next to the 528. Don't stop though, OPD or Homeland Security will be right on you. On this road jets take off or land about 30ft from your head. Trilling! Enjoy the info. I'm a 57 yrs old resident of Orlando.

As a kid I lived fairly close to the base, Lake Conway. Remember vividly the very sad day. We were riding our bikes around the neighborhood and heard the explosion and then saw the thick black smoke. The aftermath in that area was really something. It's a miracle only one person was killed on the ground.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 887 times
Default Olando AFS

Orlando Air Force Station was there at the Lee Rd exit and it had a photo squadron and AF hospital there until 1969 when the Navy moved in. I was stationed at McCoy AFB with the BUFFS from 66-70.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Not only do I remember McCoy but when in the Navy, I was in a squadron assigned to NAS Sanford, 20 miles north of Orlando, now a general aviation airport. Back in 1968, there was nothing on U.S. 17-92 and the speed limit was 70 mph

Old 08-28-2018, 06:00 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyclss View Post
Orlando Air Force Station was there at the Lee Rd exit and it had a photo squadron and AF hospital there until 1969 when the Navy moved in. I was stationed at McCoy AFB with the BUFFS from 66-70.
When I was a young Airman reporting to my very first duty station at Patrick AFB (Satellite Beach-Cocoa Beach), my first supervisor (SSG Deuil) used to talk a lot about McCoy AFB and his time when he was stationed there (they call it "war stories"), right before he got PCS'd overseas to the Far East.
Some time later, we had to evacuate the base due to hurricane "David"...1979 I think...to the Naval Training Center in Orlando. I remember thinking they had funny names for their barracks..."Superman" barracks was the one a bunch of us AF personnel slept in.

Carry on.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:34 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
My father-in-law was stationed there at one time. He did 20+ in the Air Force.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 790 times
Yes I remember McCoy AFB. I was stationed there from 63-67. During that time I saw the Cold War turn into the Vietnam War. Part of that was when they painted the B52's black. At the end of my time there we all went TDY to Guam and Okinawa. I went to Okinawa to maintain the KC-135's.
I worked on the autopilots. While there I went on a weird mission to pick up some fighter aircraft from Vietnam. It was weird because there were about 20 of us airman involved and we were commanded by a full colonel. And we got to Vietnam by a very circuitous route that took us all over the pacific. On my DD214 I have a very odd medal that I looked into. I was told it was a secret medal. I have no idea how I got the medal.
Well, it is a world long gone.
Best to all,
David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida