Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM

122 posts, read 181,161 times

Advertisements

First and foremost would just like to say a 4th generation born and raised Floridian speaking here. Now, when one thinks of Florida the first thing that comes to mind are the beautiful beaches. And rightfully so because Florida does boast having some of the most breathaking sandy shorelines(esp. in the panhandle) and aqua clear water around. But here's the thing: I never in my life felt the need of just having to be close to, around, or by the beach. Thats one thing i hear many transplants use as a deciding factor on where to move when they come here. Like one prerequisite is the house cant be too far away from the beach. I dont know maybe its because I grew up around it and seen it my entire life but I can count on one hand how many times I've been to the beach this year and last year combined. I mean snorkling somewhere like in the Keys can be fun. But my family is from Tennessee and every time I go up there, i always find the more mountain related activities to be more exciting like white-water rafting, hiking in the smokey mountains, and creek fishing. Am I the only one that feels this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
I felt that way growing up here. I never went but maybe once a year and then just complained about all the sand in my car. So I moved away to New Hampshire thinking mountains where the bomb. I had mountain views from every room in my house, I went hiking in them and driving etc etc. come winter the mountains were no longer awesome. They were dead and brown till the snow came then it was 8 months of dead brown and white. They sucked the gas out of my car having to drive over them up and down up and down. Can't tell you how many times I literally stood on my breaks, sliding down mountains ,hoping a freaking moose or deer didn't decide to commit suicide ( probably from SAD) via car.

Don't forget you visit ,it so its a vacation when u go to the mountains. When you live there it's not a vacation anymore. You have to deal with everything that comes with that "view". Which after a while, like here ,you won't notice anymore. I don't even see half the palm trees I drive by nor did I notice the mountains after 4-5 months.

The views don't pay the bills and after a while those things you like doing on vacation will get old too. Since moving away from the horrid thing they call winter I've appreciated all Florida has to offer. I go to the beach and pool several times a week. My 3 year old loves It, she'd still be sporting sweaters and boots if we lived up there and would have had them on since Oct. of last year. Instead we have been beach/pool bound since march....what's that saying "you don't know what you've got till its gone" ...give it a shot if you are so inclined, you might see what the fuss about being a snowbird is real quick

Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
The thing about me is that I'm not the type to just go to the beach and lay on the sand or go for a dip in the water,I'll do it but in reality I prefer to visit a waterpark.Maybe if I bought a waverunner it would get me to the ocean more,but then again maybe I'll spend 10K on one and it would get little use and I would regret buying it.I do think it's true that when you live somewhere you don't give it the importance of someone who lives away from it,so someone like me who barely goes to the beach and dislikes hot weather and then you take a trip to a mountainous place with cool to cold weather part of you wants to move there,I've experienced it and I think it's not that I would want to live in a mountain permanently but would like some variety.That's why I envy those snowbirds who can get away from the cold in the winter and come down here,I've realized one day I would like to be a reverse snowbird whose permanent residence is Florida (not S.Florida) and can get out for the summer,one year spend it in California,another year go somewhere in the mid Atlantic,etc...

Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,659 times
Best way to take it for granted is to have it so close.

I rent 2 blocks from the beach and have not gone in the water once. It's nice to walk there especially in the evening, but I haven't done that lately either. I think I will have to move a few miles inland to appreciate it more.

In south Florida most people are within 15 miles to the beach. I grew up in NJ where it was a good hour drive or more depending on weekend traffic to get to a junky beach.

But I love south Florida and just driving along A1A makes me happy.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 AM

745 posts, read 1,583,818 times
I walk the beach every morning and I don't take it for granted one bit. It's therapeutic for me, and it does reduce stress and worry. I also try to jump in the pool everyday too, even if I only spend 30 minutes at it, during my busy day. I don't take that for granted, either.

people just don't realize what they have here in Florida. I still pinch myself everyday.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
There are many who are indifferent to the beaches as evidenced by the head scratching popularity of the center of the state, which compares with southern Georgia in look and feel.....minus the nearby Mickey Ears of course.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
I walk the beach every morning and I don't take it for granted one bit. It's therapeutic for me, and it does reduce stress and worry. I also try to jump in the pool everyday too, even if I only spend 30 minutes at it, during my busy day. I don't take that for granted, either.

people just don't realize what they have here in Florida. I still pinch myself everyday.
How long have you lived here? You may not feel the same once you live here for a while.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:02 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
How long have you lived here? You may not feel the same once you live here for a while.
That's not true, I've been here 29 years, minus 11 months in NH and everyday I can't believe I get to live where people love to vacation. Living in the misery of what is up north made me realize we are truly the lucky ones

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 04-26-2013 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are many who are indifferent to the beaches as evidenced by the head scratching popularity of the center of the state, which compares with southern Georgia in look and feel.....minus the nearby Mickey Ears of course.
I know there's an insult in this post somewhere, but after researching southern Georgia and comparing it to Central Florida I'm okay with what's being said:

Southern Georgia

http://www.etraveltrips.com/blog/wp-...ah_Georgia.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...s-blogSpan.jpg

Central Florida

http://sanford365.files.wordpress.co...9/12_photo.jpg

http://www.jimsislandphotography.com...DSC_6339-M.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-m8mAzHvE6Y...6209XSmall.jpg

Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
I love the ocean but not necessarily the beach. Don't get me wrong I enjoy trip to sandy beaches to relax and people watch, but most of the time when I'm on the coast I'm neither sun bathing or swimming and there is usually a fishing pole in my hand. I happen to be one of those people who prefer the inland areas, but that's not to say I don't like the coast, I have and can easily enjoy living in either area. I like the grand old oaks and countless lakes. I love swimming in the springs because they're cold and clear. I like fishing on the coast much better, but I like boating on the lakes better. The water is just sometime too rough on the coast. Ok now I'm just rambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida