Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 AM

48 posts, read 101,512 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Florida from the northeast for health reasons. We are in our early 30s with no kids (and no plans for kids). We're looking to avoid family-centered suburbia and retirement enclaves.

We could relocate anywhere since we work out of home (so jobs are not a factor) but we are on a limited income ($2,500/month after taxes). We are not looking for spring break craziness, but an affordable place that has the potential for meeting some other interesting folks in our general age bracket. Some arts and culture would be nice (I'm thinking of independent movie theaters, coffee shops, galleries, etc...)

Are there any particular towns/cities/regions you'd recommend? We're planning an extended trip this fall/winter, and it would help to have some locals' insight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,989,613 times
Downtown St. Petersburg

Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM

I just came across someone's recommendation of St. Petersburg on another thread and have started some cursory research, it seems promising.

Any neighborhoods/parts of downtown St. Pete's you'd recommend as being safe/dangerous?

Thanks!

Keep the recommendations coming, if there are others!

Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM

I keep seeing that St. Petersburg/Tampa are high on the hurricane danger list. I'd like to avoid being in an area that is likely to get hit by severe hurricanes. Any suggestions that are a little inland?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:48 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
St Pete really does seem like a good choice for your criteria. I'm not trying to be snarky, but if you're that worried about hurricanes, you might want to consider a different state. Pretty much all of the peninsula can get hurricanes, and a lot of the damage occurs inland too.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM

But how seriously does St. Pete's tend to get hit? Is it mainly some lower category storms with a storm of the century every decade or 100 years? It's hard to tell without living a lifetime in an area how risky it really is.

I know some areas like Jacksonville are considered to be the 'safest' from hurricanes, but I really don't want to live there. I am very excited to check out St. Pete's, but it seems weird that it's the only happening place for young(ish) people in Florida that isn't Miami.

Last edited by MojitoMe; 05-22-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
The area of the gulf coast around St Pete rarely gets a direct hit from a hurricane, and it's impossible to predict when/if it may happen. I *think* the last direct hit was in the 1920's. No where is completely safe from natural disaster, and of all the potential ones (earth quakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes, etc), I think hurricanes are the "safest" because people have several days to prepare for it rather than hours or minutes or seconds.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Eresh, good point. I feel better already!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojitoMe View Post
But how seriously does St. Pete's tend to get hit? Is it mainly some lower category storms with a storm of the century every decade or 100 years? It's hard to tell without living a lifetime in an area how risky it really is.

I know some areas like Jacksonville are considered to be the 'safest' from hurricanes, but I really don't want to live there. I am very excited to check out St. Pete's, but it seems weird that it's the only happening place for young(ish) people in Florida that isn't Miami.
Include Orlando and Fort Lauderdale in there, too. And Tampa. Basically any big city.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojitoMe View Post
I just came across someone's recommendation of St. Petersburg on another thread and have started some cursory research, it seems promising.

Any neighborhoods/parts of downtown St. Pete's you'd recommend as being safe/dangerous?

Thanks!

Keep the recommendations coming, if there are others!
St Pete has some great neighborhoods. Check Old Northeast, Allendale/Five Points, Crescent Lake, Crescent Heights, Euclid/St Paul, Snell Isle, Venetian Isles, Placido Bayou, Gateway/Gandy, Jungle Terrace, Bahama Shores and Pinellas Point. The up and coming neighborhoods where younger owners are doing the remodels and making some equity are in Kenwood, Mirror Lake, Old Southeast, Round Lake and Roser Park. There are also some nice new build condo buildings in the heart of downtown which would be great for a young couple minus kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida