Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times

Advertisements

"In shift, Florida woos Amazon’s low-wage warehouse jobs
Palm Beach County vies for warehouse; state takes focus off luring high-paying positions."

In shift, Florida woos Amazon

http://rapbganews.wordpress.com/2013...zon-warehouse/

"Amazon has been criticized in recent years for the working conditions in its warehouses, and most of the jobs likely would be low paying. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 10:51 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
No doubt due to the ineffectiveness of the campaign to lure high paying jobs. Florida in general lacks the skilled/educated workforce necessary, amenities favored by that demographic and the transportation/transit infrastructure favored by most companies and those employed by them. I don't think the many months of heat/humidity and other weather factors such as hurricanes (though it's been nearly 10 years) are seen as positives either.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:07 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/port-...g-florida.html

Another thread here.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:14 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,354,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
"In shift, Florida woos Amazon’s low-wage warehouse jobs
Palm Beach County vies for warehouse; state takes focus off luring high-paying positions."

In shift, Florida woos Amazon

Palm Beach County makes pitch for Amazon warehouse | RAPB Government Affairs News Feed

"Amazon has been criticized in recent years for the working conditions in its warehouses, and most of the jobs likely would be low paying. "
Wow, do they need a union. Didn't know they were so exploitive-thanks for the info.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:31 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Wow, do they need a union. Didn't know they were so exploitive-thanks for the info.
Ask Boeing workers in south Carolina if they "need a union"

Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
High pay or low pay doesn't matter to Florida politicians, it's a job created AND all sales to Florida residents means sales tax collected.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
It seems that some state is going to get those jobs, right? So why not Florida? Jobs are jobs. Would you rather have them go to Manhattan?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 PM

Interesting, if disturbing, article about Amazon. I just deleted my Amazon account. American business management; a sorry lot.

Business & Technology | Amazon warehouse jobs push workers to physical limit | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 06-30-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Ask Boeing workers in south Carolina if they "need a union"
Do you believe in compensating controls?

Old 06-30-2013, 04:15 PM

591 posts, read 821,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No doubt due to the ineffectiveness of the campaign to lure high paying jobs. Florida in general lacks the skilled/educated workforce necessary, amenities favored by that demographic and the transportation/transit infrastructure favored by most companies and those employed by them. I don't think the many months of heat/humidity and other weather factors such as hurricanes (though it's been nearly 10 years) are seen as positives either.
Most of the adults I encountered while living in Boca Raton were very well-educated and very well-to-do. In contrast to the opinions of most Florida bashers, these folks did not earn their livelihoods elsewhere; many of them were earning their livelihoods in Florida. I'm referring to physicians, healthcare facility administrators, insurance industry professionals, attorneys, CPA's, CFA's, college professors, and so forth.

If you're well-educated, have an appropriate skill set and previous work experience related to the major industries of the given region, and a hard work ethic, you can pretty much "make it" anywhere, including Florida. I noticed that most employees in FL are particularly lazy and apathetic at work, although this is not generally true of managers since most "managers" in FL are small business owners. If you're an exceptionally hard worker like myself, you're going to find yourself head and shoulders above most of your colleagues. Furthermore, you're going to be noticed by management.

I stole the show at my office. I was 20 years old and the youngest employee at the company of over 50 employees. The Director of Operations at my company was on the verge of tears during my exit interview. Nail, hammer, bam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida