Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The $20000 and $40000 figures are indeed.com estimates, they are guessing. Each listing says " Salary is commensurate with experience".

You in no way debunked anything, you posted dead links, 3rd party website estimates. Post BLS statistics for bio-science by state and then we can compare.
Estimates and within ranges that they will offer, if you think these available positions will offer $80K you are dreaming...

I did not post "dead" links, BLS data will not prove anything in relation to the available jobs, these are what they are offering and they are within the averages. Again I stand by my original statement that Scripps will pay an average wage of around $40K/year, this had already been mentioned prior when taxpayers of Palm Beach County were informed on the statistics nearly 9 years ago when the whole Scripps deal was being laid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Happens to be that $40lk is close to the median wage in FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Estimates and within ranges that they will offer, if you think these available positions will offer $80K you are dreaming...

I did not post "dead" links, BLS data will not prove anything in relation to the available jobs, these are what they are offering and they are within the averages. Again I stand by my original statement that Scripps will pay an average wage of around $40K/year, this had already been mentioned prior when taxpayers of Palm Beach County were informed on the statistics nearly 9 years ago when the whole Scripps deal was being laid out.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Exactly my point.....sure they will hire higher wage earners, but the median is what it is for now...$40K for South Florida on one income means major budgeting to survive.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Most of the jobs in "Biotech" pay average wages, The Palm Beach Post boasted Scripps entry into Palm Beach County in 2004, I got so tired of reading the propaganda on all the jobs that would be created and at the time it was laughable at best when they stated average salaries would be around $35-$40K/year.

In reality the "high paying" positions are a handful of Scientists and Administrators, the rest and majority are all average or below.

It's been stated that the jobs and growth would come 20 years down the road, it's been nearly 10 and I have yet to see a major boon for the local economy with lot's of spin-offs or companies locating here to be in the so called "hub".

Max Planck is another one, they actually have 3 jobs open

Max Planck Florida Institute - Employment : Available Positions

Also Scripps currently has no positions open, I know people that applied there for jobs and never heard anything, they supposedly imported all the high paying jobs from various locations, La Jolla and elsewhere. Doesn't surprise me...

Scripps Florida Jobs

Also Scripps is planning a phase II expansion that is widely opposed, mainly because it will decimate a natural area.

Stop Scripps Florida in Palm Beach

When you read the plan, it mentioned 500,000 sq ft of retail space...something which is the norm here. Bascially when you weed it all out, it's a mix of a hospital, outpatient facilities, probably plastic surgery and botox, and some overpriced apartments and finally retail, restaurants and shops...which will pay minimum wage.

TCRPC Staff

It's all well and good for Florida, even if it's just in it's infancy, but it's not Silicon Valley here or even close to Boston...not too many reaping the benefits and I still think salaries will be lower overall..

Very good post!

I do seem to remember the "avg" job was going to be 70-80K but then again the CEO made 6mm so it skewed the numbers (technically he was an employee so you add his paycheck in with the scientists and the janitors and the average is 70-80K). It was supposed to cause a housing shortage in the area (because all these highly paid scientists need a place to live) but that didn't happen either. Mr. 6mm CEO bought a house on Jupiter Island (Martin County) so that didn't help the numbers for PBC housing!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Exactly my point.....sure they will hire higher wage earners, but the median is what it is for now...$40K for South Florida on one income means major budgeting to survive.
I guess the other 27 states with a lower median income, many of which also have a state income tax, will really have a hard time.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Yeah, I agree w/u. and argee sfl is higher col. been that way for a long time

Quote:

Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Most would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The census would disagree with you.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
I "believe" Gainesville and Miami are the biggest areas for it in Florida.
which means the 2 universities are growing but nowhere else....

Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
which means the 2 universities are growing but nowhere else....
LOL......um, No. It means those are the two biggest growing areas in the state, not the only.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Forgetting the fact that Florida ranks at or near the top of states with extremely wealthy residents in the 99th percentile of income. The latest jobs report (June) shows Florida added 13,000 jobs, of which over 10,000 are Service sector jobs which average 24K per year. Our job growth over the past few years has mirrored what happened in June, so while 40K is the "median wage" it most certainly does not reflect the trend or average for the majority of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida