Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,528,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Gainesville is far from being Silicon Valley or another RTP which was created in 1959, so Gainesville has a lot of catching up to do as does the entire state of FL, Tourism is still King...
Are you just making up your own topics to debate? Tourism has never been anything in Gainesville. They do have a rather ambitious plan.

Innovation Square » Innovation Square. Innovation and Community Redefined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 10:15 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,600,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Are you just making up your own topics to debate? Tourism has never been anything in Gainesville. They do have a rather ambitious plan.

Innovation Square » Innovation Square. Innovation and Community Redefined.
Are you making blanket statements on things which have not fully blossomed and may never?

Engineer Jobs, Employment in Gainesville, FL | Indeed.com

Salary Estimate
$30,000+ (94)
$50,000+ (74)
$70,000+ (34)
$90,000+ (13)
$110,000+ (5)

Engineer Jobs, Employment in Research Triangle Park, NC | Indeed.com

Salary Estimate
$50,000+ (2052)
$70,000+ (1457)
$90,000+ (566)
$110,000+ (188)
$130,000+ (51)

Engineer Jobs, Employment in Silicon Valley, CA | Indeed.com

Salary Estimate
$60,000+ (14764)
$80,000+ (10668)
$100,000+ (4876)
$120,000+ (2215)
$140,000+ (932)

Aside from that, it will be hard to lure many to Gainesville, it's far from a place many desire to live. Why do you think Scripps, Max Planck and etc chose Palm Beach County? Scripps, well it's the best thing after La Jolla....suppose the perceived rank of UF being a great school did not help much in that department....don't worry though FAU banked on it and has saw little in ROI...

FAU = Find Another University...

Slow return for FAU in Scripps investment - Sun Sentinel

Old 09-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Are you making blanket statements on things which have not fully blossomed and may never?

Engineer Jobs, Employment in Gainesville, FL | Indeed.com

Salary Estimate
$30,000+ (94)
$50,000+ (74)
$70,000+ (34)
$90,000+ (13)
$110,000+ (5)

Engineer Jobs, Employment in Research Triangle Park, NC | Indeed.com

Salary Estimate
$50,000+ (2052)
$70,000+ (1457)
$90,000+ (566)
$110,000+ (188)
$130,000+ (51)

Engineer Jobs, Employment in Silicon Valley, CA | Indeed.com

Salary Estimate
$60,000+ (14764)
$80,000+ (10668)
$100,000+ (4876)
$120,000+ (2215)
$140,000+ (932)

Aside from that, it will be hard to lure many to Gainesville, it's far from a place many desire to live. Why do you think Scripps, Max Planck and etc chose Palm Beach County? Scripps, well it's the best thing after La Jolla....suppose the perceived rank of UF being a great school did not help much in that department....don't worry though FAU banked on it and has saw little in ROI...

FAU = Find Another University...

Slow return for FAU in Scripps investment - Sun Sentinel
I posted part if an article and you are making up things to debate. I never said anything about RTP or Silicon Valley. FAU is not a very good school while UF is the 14th ranked public university and an AAU institution.

I'm sure you already have a respone ready that is not related to my actual post.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I posted part if an article and you are making up things to debate. I never said anything about RTP or Silicon Valley. FAU is not a very good school while UF is the 14th ranked public university and an AAU institution.

I'm sure you already have a respone ready that is not related to my actual post.
Not "making up" anything to debate, just stating the data. There is no high tech hub or plethora of jobs in the sector here or anyplace else in Florida, it's a good move if it happens but it's far from fruition and severely late in the game.

UF is mediocre in my opinion...but people here think it's great, academically it's lacking based on graduates I have hired at my firm...forgot the pomp and circumstance, generally speaking all of my interns and some full-timers are Florida educated, most are really not too impressive but we hired some some out-of-state educated grads, Northeast schools primarily but a couple from Southeast schools, UNC and etc... and have found quality to be substantially higher and many were able to hit the ground running or had great English Composition skills or Geography, basic core competence that most people educated in the Northeast had in grades 1-5.

Also had one UF grad that left the firm, he would come to me and cry a lot about Senior level Staff who would correct his mistakes and try to give him constructive criticism, he was not having it and though a recent grad acted like a total KIA which was often not caught by some other staff, but a few caught on when he cried wolf.

Whether or not some Florida Higher Ed in general are ranked high, the fact is many graduates leave the state due to the massive brain drain here. It's not like Stanford where you can expect tons of jobs to be at your doorstep after graduation.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Not "making up" anything to debate, just stating the data. There is no high tech hub or plethora of jobs in the sector here or anyplace else in Florida, it's a good move if it happens but it's far from fruition and severely late in the game.

UF is mediocre in my opinion...but people here think it's great, academically it's lacking based on graduates I have hired at my firm...forgot the pomp and circumstance, generally speaking all of my interns and some full-timers are Florida educated, most are really not too impressive but we hired some some out-of-state educated grads, Northeast schools primarily but a couple from Southeast schools, UNC and etc... and have found quality to be substantially higher and many were able to hit the ground running or had great English Composition skills or Geography, basic core competence that most people educated in the Northeast had in grades 1-5.

Also had one UF grad that left the firm, he would come to me and cry a lot about Senior level Staff who would correct his mistakes and try to give him constructive criticism, he was not having it and though a recent grad acted like a total KIA which was often not caught by some other staff, but a few caught on when he cried wolf.

Whether or not some Florida Higher Ed in general are ranked high, the fact is many graduates leave the state due to the massive brain drain here. It's not like Stanford where you can expect tons of jobs to be at your doorstep after graduation.
So UF isn't Stanford or UNC. Do you have any other breaking news? Seems off your firm basically only hires UF grads but they are all average....

Plenty if UF grads do leave the state.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
So UF isn't Stanford or UNC. Do you have any other breaking news? Seems off your firm basically only hires UF grads but they are all average....

Plenty if UF grads do leave the state.
Nope, it's not even close to most schools from the Northeast but that's another topic. My firm does not only hire UF grads, we hire a mix of whomever is in the vicinity, or in the case of interns those that are back in the area during the summer. Just based on my years of being with this company I have seen, on average, some sub-par core competency from several Florida educated people. Like I said once before, one UF kid I had in, embarrassed the firm in front of a HNW client from NY, said that Long Island was a State, not part of New York. The client was from Southhampton, NY which is located on Long Island.

Well after the Gator, who was overly confident and started talking like a KIA made the statement, there was pin drop silence afterwards. The client looked at me like what type of people are you hiring? I hoped it did not get back to my Boss, but I did damage control and got it resolved.

Needless to say I had a talk with the Gator, 1:1 and I said to him, "since when did you think Long Island was a state?" He said, I thought it always was. I said can you name the 50 states, he started to ramble off and got as far as 10 and said that's all I know. Quite pathetic but that's only the tip of the iceberg with him.

Not only that, his English composition was really poor, and he was a Florida native, and no not of Spanish descent so no excuses there. Overall I had a few that were sub-par, but sure I do not want to say it's 100%, but it seems most cannot spell too well.

In my line of work, numbers and statements are very stringent, I just cannot hire people who do not have basic core competency that most 5th graders in the Northeast can ramble off in a few minutes. I have been told by a Teacher friend of mine that on the grass roots level, early education in the state is the result of this and I am beginning to see it.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
I completely agree with THX1138 regarding FL grads in general and have always wondered why the sophistication level wasn't there compared to grads from other states I have known. I do realize Florida doesn't have that kind of feel to it generally (sophistication) but from an educational standpoint and more universal acceptance as a graduate, you would think that would be something these college programs night want to tackle.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,161,385 times
A state does not provide "sophistication". Individuals do. Seems some here blame the State of FL for everything and anything that is not the same as it is elsewhere. Its the individual, not the state. These threads constantly state that a person is doomed because they live or were educated in FL. Nonsense.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Nope, it's not even close to most schools from the Northeast but that's another topic. My firm does not only hire UF grads, we hire a mix of whomever is in the vicinity, or in the case of interns those that are back in the area during the summer. Just based on my years of being with this company I have seen, on average, some sub-par core competency from several Florida educated people. Like I said once before, one UF kid I had in, embarrassed the firm in front of a HNW client from NY, said that Long Island was a State, not part of New York. The client was from Southhampton, NY which is located on Long Island.

Well after the Gator, who was overly confident and started talking like a KIA made the statement, there was pin drop silence afterwards. The client looked at me like what type of people are you hiring? I hoped it did not get back to my Boss, but I did damage control and got it resolved.

Needless to say I had a talk with the Gator, 1:1 and I said to him, "since when did you think Long Island was a state?" He said, I thought it always was. I said can you name the 50 states, he started to ramble off and got as far as 10 and said that's all I know. Quite pathetic but that's only the tip of the iceberg with him.

Not only that, his English composition was really poor, and he was a Florida native, and no not of Spanish descent so no excuses there. Overall I had a few that were sub-par, but sure I do not want to say it's 100%, but it seems most cannot spell too well.

In my line of work, numbers and statements are very stringent, I just cannot hire people who do not have basic core competency that most 5th graders in the Northeast can ramble off in a few minutes. I have been told by a Teacher friend of mine that on the grass roots level, early education in the state is the result of this and I am beginning to see it.
Did you ever learn about drawing conclusions from small sample sizes.......

Seems like your firm keeps hiring and using them so that clearly indicates something.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I completely agree with THX1138 regarding FL grads in general and have always wondered why the sophistication level wasn't there compared to grads from other states I have known. I do realize Florida doesn't have that kind of feel to it generally (sophistication) but from an educational standpoint and more universal acceptance as a graduate, you would think that would be something these college programs night want to tackle.
How do you rate the sophistication level of your school? I take you you have more anecdotal evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida