Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:03 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

I hope everyone can eventually move to where they feel comfortable and can enoy. For us, the Florida weather and location is all that we ever wanted. I completely understand that it is not for everyone, as no place is. I wish y'all the best...wherever you happen to live. Peace out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I guess Pirus isnt alone Mid day yesterday I noticed 3 drivers with the windows down. 1 had front down and 2 the back windows were down. These werent old beaters either.
Summer + hot is a standard no matter where in you live. Constantly moaning about the normal is nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtnelson View Post
Precisely. It (and certain people) continue to feed the misinformation by speaking in raw temp numbers down here rather than giving it straight and talking about what it actually feels like, thereby perpetuating misinformation.

Then again, I wouldn't trust anyone who claims they don't have to run the a/c in their car in summer down here because that's just flat out nonsense. I don't care how hot you like it.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
I am super duper looking forward to the future snowbird lifestyle for me!! I am gonna be in Ocean City, NJ for the summer and Big Pine Key FL for the winter just waiting for the hair to get a little more grey first.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
WRONG, LOL compare COL with wages and it comes out even or worse than most Northern states.. smack:
Here is one comparison I ran for a registered nurse in another thread

Quote:
A registered nurse in NY has an annual mean wage of $74,100, a registered nurse in Florida has an annual mean wage of $61,780 (most recent BLS data). A difference of $12,320, now start off by subtracting $4145 for state income tax and you have a difference of $8175. Hardly a massive pay cut. Now calculate the difference in rental cost of $2638 for NY and $1298 for Florida (values gathered within last 30 days by myapartmentmap.com) , that is over $16000 a year. At this point we have not figured in for local income tax rates which many areas in NY have but seems Florida is ahead by almost $8000.
Seems like Florida does not fare too bad.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
I am completely confused about Florida. I was really giving serious consideration to moving to southern Florida but the more I read the more I hear about the months of relentless stifling heat. I used to think Florida was a cheap place to live. Now, I don't know what to think.

People who live in Florida seem to be divided between loving it and hating it LOL.

I just don't know anymore.....

Old 08-04-2013, 03:41 PM

677 posts, read 934,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
As it is obvious somepeople haven't watched the news, don't do research or are just having fun posting false information and attacking people (real mature) here is a link to what is going on in the country now and is a great comparison to how great we have it here in many parts of Florida with the moderating seabreezes. Philiadelhpia with high ACTUAL temps of 96 degrees:

Tens of Millions See Stifling Heat from Boston to Nashville
"High daytime and nighttime temperatures, high humidity, intense sunshine and lack of wind will make the area seem like the middle of the tropics."

Oh, and here is San Antonio, Texas.....where I once lived. Take a look at this extended forcast....which is actually pretty good for them:

Weather in San Antonio - AccuWeather Forecast for TX 78205

Man o man, I just love living where I do in Florida, where I can bank on a comfortable 90 degrees and a great seabreeze.

Oh puh-leeease, let's keep it real shall we? Does having a heatwave in the north comfort you somehow, is this a case of misery loves company? Up north a heatwave is not the norm, yes it gets hot here, damn hot as a matter of fact but the difference between us & you is ours isn't long lasting, that's why it's referred to as a heatwave & made a big deal out of. Today, right now here in DE it's 78* pleasant degrees on the 4th of Aug, dew point is 55*, humidity is 67%, tonight the low is being forecasted at 59*, now that's my ideal summertime weather. And you folks in Tampa right now it's 88*, dew points 74*, humidity a whopping 82%, your overnight forecast is 80*. Big difference. When we have a heatwave it usually last 2 or 3 weeks, then it's relief at last...........like right now.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Here is one comparison I ran for a registered nurse in another thread

Quote:
A registered nurse in NY has an annual mean wage of $74,100, a registered nurse in Florida has an annual mean wage of $61,780 (most recent BLS data). A difference of $12,320, now start off by subtracting $4145 for state income tax and you have a difference of $8175. Hardly a massive pay cut. Now calculate the difference in rental cost of $2638 for NY and $1298 for Florida (values gathered within last 30 days by myapartmentmap.com) , that is over $16000 a year. At this point we have not figured in for local income tax rates which many areas in NY have but seems Florida is ahead by almost $8000.
Seems like Florida does not fare too bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I am completely confused about Florida. I was really giving serious consideration to moving to southern Florida but the more I read the more I hear about the months of relentless stifling heat. I used to think Florida was a cheap place to live. Now, I don't know what to think.

People who live in Florida seem to be divided between loving it and hating it LOL.

I just don't know anymore.....
If the warm weather bothers you then, no, do not move here. If it is the wage issue then you need to look at BLS statistics to see the earning potential, unless you already have a job lined up and know what you will earn.
Look at the average apartment or if you are looking at homes then calculate the tax difference. Lastly calculate the income taxes.
Taxes and rent or mortgage will be the big chunks.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
If the warm weather bothers you then, no, do not move here. If it is the wage issue then you need to look at BLS statistics to see the earning potential, unless you already have a job lined up and know what you will earn.
Look at the average apartment or if you are looking at homes then calculate the tax difference. Lastly calculate the income taxes.
Taxes and rent or mortgage will be the big chunks.
I am retired. Get Social Security and have a retirement account. I will not work again.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I am retired. Get Social Security and have a retirement account. I will not work again.
Then that makes it much easier to figure out.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM

443 posts, read 558,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Oh puh-leeease, let's keep it real shall we? Does having a heatwave in the north comfort you somehow, is this a case of misery loves company? Up north a heatwave is not the norm, yes it gets hot here, damn hot as a matter of fact but the difference between us & you is ours isn't long lasting, that's why it's referred to as a heatwave & made a big deal out of. Today, right now here in DE it's 78* pleasant degrees on the 4th of Aug, dew point is 55*, humidity is 67%, tonight the low is being forecasted at 59*, now that's my ideal summertime weather. And you folks in Tampa right now it's 88*, dew points 74*, humidity a whopping 82%, your overnight forecast is 80*. Big difference. When we have a heatwave it usually last 2 or 3 weeks, then it's relief at last...........like right now.
Your can't talk common sense with certain people on this forum. It doesn't work. I've tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida