Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times

Advertisements

For all those falsely stating Florida has nothing but entry level grocery store jobs and everyone is dirt poor:

BioFlorida | Florida biotechnology, medical devices, diagnostics and pharmaceuticals

"Florida is one of the fastest growing bioscience regions in the world. With a strong base of biotechnology, medical devices and pharmaceutical companies, world-class research universities and some of the leading non-profit research institutes in the world, Florida has built a resource base to be a top bioscience destination."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,106 times
I'd like to see how truly large the bioscience sector is in Florida, which parts of the state are thriving from it, how many jobs it creates, and from a source that's NOT from a biased opinion, (i.e. newspaper, ect)

Old 07-13-2013, 01:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23s4thGhost View Post
I'd like to see how truly large the bioscience sector is in Florida, which parts of the state are thriving from it, how many jobs it creates, and from a source that's NOT from a biased opinion, (i.e. newspaper, ect)
I "believe" Gainesville and Miami are the biggest areas for it in Florida.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:02 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,082 times
Thats fantastic. Theres definatly no shortage of people looking for work.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
Most of the jobs in "Biotech" pay average wages, The Palm Beach Post boasted Scripps entry into Palm Beach County in 2004, I got so tired of reading the propaganda on all the jobs that would be created and at the time it was laughable at best when they stated average salaries would be around $35-$40K/year.

In reality the "high paying" positions are a handful of Scientists and Administrators, the rest and majority are all average or below.

It's been stated that the jobs and growth would come 20 years down the road, it's been nearly 10 and I have yet to see a major boon for the local economy with lot's of spin-offs or companies locating here to be in the so called "hub".

Max Planck is another one, they actually have 3 jobs open

Max Planck Florida Institute - Employment : Available Positions

Also Scripps currently has no positions open, I know people that applied there for jobs and never heard anything, they supposedly imported all the high paying jobs from various locations, La Jolla and elsewhere. Doesn't surprise me...

Scripps Florida Jobs

Also Scripps is planning a phase II expansion that is widely opposed, mainly because it will decimate a natural area.

Stop Scripps Florida in Palm Beach

When you read the plan, it mentioned 500,000 sq ft of retail space...something which is the norm here. Bascially when you weed it all out, it's a mix of a hospital, outpatient facilities, probably plastic surgery and botox, and some overpriced apartments and finally retail, restaurants and shops...which will pay minimum wage.

TCRPC Staff

It's all well and good for Florida, even if it's just in it's infancy, but it's not Silicon Valley here or even close to Boston...not too many reaping the benefits and I still think salaries will be lower overall..

Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
Try here BioFlorida | Florida biotechnology, medical devices, diagnostics and pharmaceuticals

I hope you don't find it too biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23s4thGhost View Post

Old 07-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Who told you that FL was like Silicon Valley or Boston? If you're chasing money then perhaps you need to be in Boston to reap the reward. What excuse could there be for not doing so at the immediately?

I dont know where you got your salary range from, but............

"An interesting statistic is that bioscience-related distribution, Florida’s highest concentration of employment relative to the U.S., has the highest average annual wage ($82,493) of all five of the major categories of biosciences"

www.bio.org/sites/

It seems to me that nothing posted in your anti-Florida statements hold any water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Most of the jobs in "Biotech" pay average wages, The Palm Beach Post boasted Scripps entry into Palm Beach County in 2004, I got so tired of reading the propaganda on all the jobs that would be created and at the time it was laughable at best when they stated average salaries would be around $35-$40K/year.

In reality the "high paying" positions are a handful of Scientists and Administrators, the rest and majority are all average or below.

It's been stated that the jobs and growth would come 20 years down the road, it's been nearly 10 and I have yet to see a major boon for the local economy with lot's of spin-offs or companies locating here to be in the so called "hub".

Max Planck is another one, they actually have 3 jobs open

Max Planck Florida Institute - Employment : Available Positions

Also Scripps currently has no positions open, I know people that applied there for jobs and never heard anything, they supposedly imported all the high paying jobs from various locations, La Jolla and elsewhere. Doesn't surprise me...

Scripps Florida Jobs

Also Scripps is planning a phase II expansion that is widely opposed, mainly because it will decimate a natural area.

Stop Scripps Florida in Palm Beach

When you read the plan, it mentioned 500,000 sq ft of retail space...something which is the norm here. Bascially when you weed it all out, it's a mix of a hospital, outpatient facilities, probably plastic surgery and botox, and some overpriced apartments and finally retail, restaurants and shops...which will pay minimum wage.

TCRPC Staff

It's all well and good for Florida, even if it's just in it's infancy, but it's not Silicon Valley here or even close to Boston...not too many reaping the benefits and I still think salaries will be lower overall..

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 07-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: wrong link again

Old 07-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Who told you that FL was like Silicon Valley or Boston? If you're chasing money then perhaps you need to be in Boston to reap the reward. What excuse could there be for not doing so at the immediately?

I dont know where you got your salary range from, but............

"An interesting statistic is that bioscience-related distribution, Florida’s highest concentration of employment relative to the U.S., has the highest average annual wage ($82,493) of all five of the major categories of biosciences"

Texas trounces Florida in state-economy smackdown:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/realt...-clear-winner/

It seems to me that nothing posted in your anti-Florida statements hold any water.
Salary info came right from the source Palm Beach Post, who claimed the average salaries were around $40K at Scripps, and this was listed in 2004, just when it was proposed and not even built.

Averages all over:

The Scripps Research Institute Salaries, Average Salary & Jobs Pay

The few high paying positions:

The Scripps Research Institute Scripps Florida Salary - SalaryQuest.com

Will it pay off for Palm Beach County Taxpayers who subsidized it?

Will the $1 billion investment in Scripps pay off? | The Opinion Zone blog | The Palm Beach Post

More propaganda on what the state want's to achieve but is far from ever realizing it...I really do hope things turn around here but it's going to take a long time and in an economy driven by small private businesses and an attitude as if people are not worth more because of the ever evident Sunshine Tax.

"Florida lives down to its reputation as a low-wage state. The highest average weekly wage among the state’s 67 counties in the third quarter was Hillsborough County’s $863, followed by Palm Beach County and Duval County, tied at $862. Texas boasts 10 counties with wages higher than $863, and four counties with wages higher than $1,000 a week. In fact, Texas’ largest county, Harris County, had the state’s highest pay, at $1,154 a week."

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/realt...nomy smackdown

My views "hold water" just fine, seeing I work in an industry that gives me insider info at least in South Florida, I can base some of my opinions on hard numbers and not propaganda totally.....on a whole...since the Palm Beach Post is the worst offender of this...the average salaries are...well average for PB County. Sure there are some high wage earners, but they are a minority.

Last edited by THX 1138; 07-13-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Who gives a rat's sweat glands about Texas?.

If all it is about is chasing the dollar, go where the money is. If you seek a unique, flexible, way of life, with nice weather year round and to be able to choose from a wide variety of places to live depending on your wants and needs, then it's Florida. There are trade-offs. Seems to me a whole lot of people made those trade-offs, FL having 19mil + in population.

Besides the wild amounts of money I could earn as soon as I start the job, why would I want live in TX?.

What is the purpose of your posts? Are they supposed to be informative to people considering a move to FL?

So what is this strange hang up about TX vs. FL when it comes to salaries and other statements about differences that always, without fail, tell the CD community on a FL topic message board how down
right lousy everything is in FL?

Perhaps your postings would be more useful on the Texas boards so people who might be making comparisons between TX and other places?

Maybe you can hook up with Ryan and start a Blog on your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Salary info came right from the source Palm Beach Post, who claimed the average salaries were around $40K at Scripps, and this tradelisted in 2004, just when it was
proposed and not even built.

Averages all over:

The Scripps Research Institute Salaries, Average Salary & Jobs Pay

The few high paying positions:

The Scripps Research Institute Scripps Florida Salary - SalaryQuest.com

Will it pay off for Palm Beach County Taxpayers who subsidized it?

Will the $1 billion investment in Scripps pay off? | The Opinion Zone blog | The Palm Beach Post

More propaganda on what the state want's to achieve but is far from ever realizing it...I really do hope things turn around here but it's going to take a long time and in an economy driven by small private businesses and an attitude as if people are not worth more because of the ever evident Sunshine Tax.

"Florida lives down to its reputation as a low-wage state. The highest average weekly wage among the state’s 67 counties in the third quarter was Hillsborough County’s $863, followed by Palm Beach County and Duval County, tied at $862. Texas boasts 10 counties with wages higher than $863, and four counties with wages higher than $1,000 a week. In fact, Texas’ largest county, Harris County, had the state’s highest pay, at $1,154 a week."

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/realt...nomy smackdown

My views "hold water" just fine, seeing I work in an industry that gives me insider info at least in South Florida, I can base some of my opinions on hard numbers and not propaganda totally.....on a whole...since the Palm Beach Post is the worst offender of this...the average salaries are...well average for PB County. Sure there are some high wage earners, but they are a minority.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Who gives a rat's sweat glands about Texas?.

If all it is about is chasing the dollar, go where the money is. If you seek a unique, flexible, way of life, with nice weather year round and to be able to choose from a wide variety of places to live depending on your wants and needs, then it's Florida. There are trade-offs. Seems to me a whole lot of people made those trade-offs, FL having 19mil + in population.

Besides the wild amounts of money I could earn as soon as I start the job, why would I want live in TX?.

What is the purpose of your posts? Are they supposed to be informative to people considering a move to FL?

So what is this strange hang up about TX vs. FL when it comes to salaries and other statements about differences that always, without fail, tell the CD community on a FL topic message board how down
right lousy everything is in FL?

Perhaps your postings would be more useful on the Texas boards so people who might be making comparisons between TX and other places?

Maybe you can hook up with Ryan and start a Blog on your information.
Texas has better salaries and a better job market, simply stated the data was posted to show the state's biggest competitor. I do not want to live there either....don't shoot the messenger.... but the facts speak for themselves and Florida has to pay catch-up to a very large state that is pulling a lot of companies from elsewhere.

I am all for seeing things grow here, if it's bioscience or high tech and it pulls companies in here and creates a competitive wages and not "oh we just will pay you less because there is no place else to go, take it or leave it" mentality...hopefully it will materialize and someday Florida will no longer be noted as a low wage state, but I am somewhat pessimistic on this notion since old habits die hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida