Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 AM

67 posts, read 145,187 times

Advertisements

I live near Washington DC so I see all 4 seasons. If I move down to Florida, is the combination of heat and humidity going to make the place ripe for:

1. mosquitos
2. spiders (i dont mean tiny ones that are like quarter of an inch big, i'm talking ones that are the size of your thumb or bigger)
3. scorpions

If so, how do you Floridians deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not so much

The bugs were a huge concern of mine before moving here but with proper pest control it's not a big deal. And after a while if you see them it's not such an issue. The Mosquitos sometimes are the worst but we had Mosquitos up north too.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 AM

291 posts, read 505,925 times
I've seen a lot of mosquitos, roaches, LIZARDS (they are EVERYWHERE, and they creep me out), and tiny spiders, thankfully no huge ones. Haven't seen many scorpions, if any at all.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Heres a good resource at identifying the bugs of Florida with excellent write ups on their idiosyncrasies
Florida Bugs

Old 07-26-2013, 06:05 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post
I live near Washington DC so I see all 4 seasons. If I move down to Florida, is the combination of heat and humidity going to make the place ripe for:

1. mosquitos
2. spiders (i dont mean tiny ones that are like quarter of an inch big, i'm talking ones that are the size of your thumb or bigger)
3. scorpions

Co-exist. Spray or swat when you need to. If you happen to find one indoors catch and release outside when you can.

We also have 6 types of poisonous snakes, lizzards, gators, sharks, stingrays, lots of big flying palmetto bugs, and ameba in the lakes that can kill you. You learn to just accept them azs part of life down here.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwl8521 View Post

1. mosquitos
3. scorpions

1. Yes, there are plenty of mosquitoes. Just try not to encourage them by having any stagnant water in the yard (old flower pots, buckets, etc.). And DO encourage (or at least don't remove) other critters that eat them (dragon flies, frogs, bats, for examples)
2. Yes, there are spiders. Spiders aren't bad to have around outside, since they eat bugs (see #1). If you find one inside the house, just put it outside.
3. I have heard scorpions are in FL, but I had never in my life seen one until I moved to GA. (Actually, I've had encounters with a LOT more bugs, including mosquitoes, in GA than I ever did in FL.)

There are many ways people deal with it. Some people just move away. Others use pesticides (not a good idea for many reasons, but I digress). Most people find that just accepting that bugs exist and understanding their ecology (who eats who, what makes them flourish, etc) and recognizing the few are actually dangerous and avoiding them is the easiest way to deal with it.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
YES
YES but the big ones usually stay outside. Also the big ones are usually the least dangerous.
NO there are some but in all my time around the state I have seen maybe one or two. Including time camping in parks in all parts of the state.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Tons of Mosquitoes, this year we had some newish large breed invading Florida..add that to the really rainy season we've had...

Spiders- yeppers got those too, the big ones. Rarely have I gotten the big ones in my house, but you'd probably want em cause its the smaller ones that are dangerous. Found a nest of black widows in my car door once. Figured it was the tree my car was parked under. If you're lucky sometimes you get the wolf spiders, they jump when you try to go after em. They're a great laxative. Sometimes you even have the banana spiders on ur house.. knew a guy once who kept em ALL over his windows, hundreds and hundreds, said it was kind of like a security system. Felt bad for the poor fool who tried to climb in his house, seriously

You forgot one though, Love bug season... Here's my screen a few years back, and my window.. I think thats spring-early summer we see those. Make sure to wash em off your car, which will be covered. You keep em on there long enough and the paint will come off. These are from the 06 season.. The season of excessive love..

Scorpions are more in the keys, when we lived there if we left our shoes outside we would shake them out in the morning to make sure they weren't hiding. Haven't seen a problem with them in other parts

Don't worry though, we have the beach and sunshine..

Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Been here 40+ years and still lovin' Florida. Of course there are spiders, snakes, lovebugs, lizards and even gators here (the latter are particularly prevalent around Gainsville). However, the 'hype' is far worse than the 'bite' -- (BTW, the lizards help keep the other bugs in check, while snakes keep the lizards and frogs in check). Beyond that, the hurricanes are vastly overrated by 'hair-on-fire media blathering' -- and the humidity (except following rainstorms), is typically more of a personal preference issue.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 AM

31 posts, read 58,614 times
We live on a small lake, mosquitoes aren't bad until late June through September, we had them in NJ though so they don't bug us. We're in Central Florida, and haven't seen a scorpion yet, thought we might because we live near a preserve, lots of woods and water. We hike a lot, just haven't come across any yet. Love bug season wasn't that bad this spring, which is odd, because last year it seemed a lot longer. They don't bite, they are annoying, but we just spray our car down at the end of the day. The only times we really hate them is when we have to get gas in the middle of the day, evenings are easier lol. We had more spiders in NJ, our dogs were bit by a brown recluse, that was horrible. We also had lyme's disease from ticks, so, everything we deal with here is compared to those memories, so, honestly? We haven't had to deal with anything that badly here, so, we've been grateful.

We love the lizards, our kids catch them, and the bigger ones mean they are well fed, and they don't have as many predators after them. Our neighbor has a saying that if the lizards are up high, a snake is nigh, we've found that to be true twice, only because we were paying attention. Both times it was black snakes, and they are a great thing to have, they get moles and mice .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida