Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,804 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming, due to the climate, that bugs are pretty much an all year thing in Florida. Let's say we're talking about central inland Florida. Would the bugs be there all year? I would think so. If your apartment/home is exterminated quarterly and you use storebought bug spray, will that eliminate (at least about 90% anyway) the problem?

Should I avoid Florida purely because of bugs? I know in summer here, where it's almost as hot as Florida, the bugs pretty much stay away with just storebought spray (we don't exterminate this house...mother's choice). Would extermination plus storebought spray mostly keep the bugs out in Florida, or are they just rampant?

BTW: Lizards, frogs, whatever don't bother me as much. I'm talking pure insects like roaches, spiders, etc.

I like the sound of Florida - I worry about the bugs though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM

278 posts, read 802,591 times
I used to freak out about the bugs when I first got here, but you learn to deal with it after a while. The 2 major annoyances in Fla are fire ants and mosquitos. Fire ants have a nasty bite and you'll know them by the big sand mounds they leave on your lawn. Don't walk around barefoot! Mosquitos are a problem too, they are many and they are annoying, so get some repellent and you'll be fine. You can't leave standing water in your yard (like plant trays) because it will become a breeding ground for these pests.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I really thought that bugs would be a bigger deal than they have turned out to be.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
You can really do your own exterminating. Home Depot sells some good household insect spray. You can get good termite products at pest constrol stores. Fire ants are easily controled - just need to buy the fire ant products that are out there.

Mosquitos are the most dificult to control. Make sure you don't live near stagnant water. Also, if you want to avoid mosquitos, avoid living on a lake. During the summer time (7 months out of the year), if you are going to be out during dusk and nighttime, spray off or some other repelant product on you - it really works.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
The bugs that I heard the worst horror stories about were the yellow flies, and we did experience them twice, and they were indeed feriocious, but it was two mornings in a row that lasted for 5 minutes--not exactly a prolonged battle.
The mosquitoes can be bad as well, but again, it never seemed to go on and on.
I heard that vinegar keeps the flies off well. Anyone else hear this?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I'm assuming, due to the climate, that bugs are pretty much an all year thing in Florida. Let's say we're talking about central inland Florida. Would the bugs be there all year? I would think so. If your apartment/home is exterminated quarterly and you use storebought bug spray, will that eliminate (at least about 90% anyway) the problem?

Should I avoid Florida purely because of bugs? I know in summer here, where it's almost as hot as Florida, the bugs pretty much stay away with just storebought spray (we don't exterminate this house...mother's choice). Would extermination plus storebought spray mostly keep the bugs out in Florida, or are they just rampant?

BTW: Lizards, frogs, whatever don't bother me as much. I'm talking pure insects like roaches, spiders, etc.

I like the sound of Florida - I worry about the bugs though!
I have lived in Tampa, Sarasota and now up here inland and north a bit in Dade City. IN Tampa and Sarasota we had major problems with roaches (really bad in Sarasota) which are the bugs I hate most. Mosquitoes are everywhere in Florida, but if you live in the city they spray. I am in the country with lakes and woods all around, and they are very bad here almost year round (no spraying). I don't have a problem with roaches though, even though I have a really old house and don't spray I have only seen one or two inside. Keep the bushes away from your house and you will usually not have a problem.

I like spiders and have a variety of them around - I like the pretty large striped ones that set up shop here from spring to fall - they are very beneficial as they EAT THE MOSQUITOES - also wasps and other predators. Most spiders are your friend.

I am pretty much a naturalist and don't care for sprays and such, but if you are in an apartment and some of your neighbors don't have good housekeeping habits you may need to resort to sprays for the roaches, which as I said are a big problem in Florida. I love the frogs and lizards!

Old 02-06-2007, 07:38 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I lived in Thenonassasa. Thats a suburb of Tampa. It's higher up (if you can call anything in Florida, higher up) in elevation then most areas around there. I didn't have any bugs in the house, but I did have to put a squirt or two of bug juice on my arms and legs when I went out in the evening. That's all it took.

But, I had friends that raised canary's (professionally for pet stores) and the back of their property bordered one of the inlets. They had a nasty problem with bugs. But they installed a system that they had bought locally. Not sure what it is or exactly how it works. But it was powered by propane. Kind of expensive, about $1800. I heard you could get smaller units cheaper. Anyhow, this system did a fantastic job of keeping the bugs away. I visited several times after that and never saw a bug. And, it didn't seem to bother the canary's.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:49 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times
Skeeters is real bad round these parts near Wacahoota. In fact, most folks put extre tie downs on their trailers and I will tell ya why.

In the Spring when the skeeters have a big hatch, they go into a feedin frenzy and try to get at people in their trailers. Most trailers round here have metal roofs and sometimes them big buck skeeters stick their stingers through the roof in their frenzy tryin to get at the people inside and they cant pull em back out so they get stuck on the roof.

Now if enuf skeeters get stuck on your roof trying to fly away they can lift yer singlewide off the foundation unless you put extre tie downs on it.

Had a feller from New Yawk City move in down the road who didnt believe this could happen. Last anyone saw of him and his trailer was it flyin away in the sunset wif a flock of sandhill cranes going north.

And the skeeters get big too. Big enuf to breed a turkey flat footed. An thats the gospel truth

Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 AM

70 posts, read 354,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
I used to freak out about the bugs when I first got here, but you learn to deal with it after a while. The 2 major annoyances in Fla are fire ants and mosquitos. Fire ants have a nasty bite and you'll know them by the big sand mounds they leave on your lawn. Don't walk around barefoot! Mosquitos are a problem too, they are many and they are annoying, so get some repellent and you'll be fine. You can't leave standing water in your yard (like plant trays) because it will become a breeding ground for these pests.
Don't know if you know, They sell a Mosquito trap that works off of prophane. you can purchase different models that cover different areas of land. A close friend of mine has one here in NY for the summer. He was infested with them becuase behind his home is wooded lands that can't be built on with a pond. He would tell me stories that he would go out in the night time and the driveway lights kick in and you see hundreds of them under the light. Since he purchased this machine he has no bites, none in his patio or yard nor the front of the house. He does go through many filters tho....

Just something to think about...

-rjp

Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Wacahootaman, you're about a crawdaddy short of a gumbo, aren't ya, bud?? ;-)

Thanks for the laughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida