Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 PM
AJS

2 posts, read 7,282 times

Advertisements

What about the no seums?????????/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 01:11 PM

131 posts, read 1,034,581 times
Just remember, not all of Florida's insects are unsightly or harmful. These little guys are all over the place right now...

Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS View Post
What about the no seums?????????/
I have scares on my arms from no seums while I was in South Carolina. However, I spent 14 months in Tampa and never got a bite. Don't know if they didn't like me or if they weren't there. After all, they are no seums. haha

Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
Big enuf to breed a turkey flat footed.
Wacahootaman strikes again!

When I first saw this Florida Grasshopper I almost had a heart attack (sorry Muggy-haters, I'm still tickin'). It's actually a Lubber Grasshopper. Pretty cool. And I totally agree with Cil: the bigs aren't as big of a deal as I was expecting.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/Lubber.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-08-2007, 05:36 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,906,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post

When I first saw this Florida Grasshopper I almost had a heart attack (sorry Muggy-haters, I'm still tickin'). It's actually a Lubber Grasshopper. Pretty cool. And I totally agree with Cil: the bigs aren't as big of a deal as I was expecting.

add some melted butter and you have a meal !

Old 02-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
EEEEEEUUUUUUU! You guys!

Old 02-08-2007, 05:53 PM

11 posts, read 44,424 times
Default Bugs aren't that big a deal

My home is 107 years old, a frame victorian.....We have never had a bug problem. We purchased the house with a Terminx contract that we renew every year ($300) and they come out quarterly to spray. I have not seen any bugs here, but if I do, I just call the bug guy. I have lived in other houses in Florida for 26 years. I never had bug problems. I didn't have a bug service there either....

Old 02-08-2007, 05:59 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Oh, and the Love Bugs in Central Florida at parts of the year. I remember my car getting covered in them when I had to drive to college on the Turnpike.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post

And this picture is actual size. That is not a joke- I have seen them close to this size. But they are not pretty cool in my book. Bug spray won't even kill them once they have become adults. They are the only critter in FL that I am afraid of- even though, logically, I know that they can't hurt me. My son put one in the freezer to "put it in suspended animation" and planned to thaw it out to see if it came back to life, but I made him get rid of it.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 PM

155 posts, read 284,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
I'm assuming, due to the climate, that bugs are pretty much an all year thing in Florida. Let's say we're talking about central inland Florida. Would the bugs be there all year? I would think so. If your apartment/home is exterminated quarterly and you use storebought bug spray, will that eliminate (at least about 90% anyway) the problem?

Should I avoid Florida purely because of bugs? I know in summer here, where it's almost as hot as Florida, the bugs pretty much stay away with just storebought spray (we don't exterminate this house...mother's choice). Would extermination plus storebought spray mostly keep the bugs out in Florida, or are they just rampant?

BTW: Lizards, frogs, whatever don't bother me as much. I'm talking pure insects like roaches, spiders, etc.

I like the sound of Florida - I worry about the bugs though!
We spend about $300/month to keep our home bug-free for the most part. That is for indoor pests only. It is expsnive, but I'd pay $1,000 a month if I had to, but you NEED pest control down here, there are tons of bugs!

We spray the outside of every door in the house that connects to the outside every 2 weeks (it is calendared, we always do it). We spray Bengal (one of the best stuff in my humble opinion) under every cabinet every 2 weeks, unless the pest control guy is here that week. We also constantly spray behind the stove, behind washer and dryer and etc bi-weekly.

http://www.bengal.com/images/roach2.jpg (broken link)

It is very hard to keep the house bug-free. It is very wet and bugs can get in through tiny cracks or around pipes or etc. Bug-wise (specially cockroaches), Florida is infested. Worse than CT or CO. Fleas are bad too, so Dog owners, take heed. I have a cat, so no worries there.

I just killed one last night in my bathtub/shower. I think it came from the drain.

This roach thing sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida