Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,658,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Uhh. And how about the FL natives! They all left and many used to love it down there.
Funny you mention that. I've met more native Floridians out West then I ever did in FL, and most see like wonderful people. Gee, if FL was filled with folks like that, I'd probably still live there! Unfortunately, it's not, so it's no wonder why so many native Floridians are either planning to leave or already long gone. Kinda sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
It is. I'm a FL native as is my wife. We live in a nice area, but I know the feeling that a lot of others have.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,985 times
Another post that says more about the poster than the state.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 PM

32 posts, read 65,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I've met more native Floridians out West then I ever did in FL, and most see like wonderful people. Gee, if FL was filled with folks like that, I'd probably still live there! Unfortunately, it's not, so it's no wonder why so many native Floridians are either planning to leave or already long gone. Kinda sad.
When you say " out west ", do you mean California?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I can resonate with the OP. It seems like the congestion, people, and overall culture of South Florida take a significant toll on transplants from more normal places (i.e., Northeast, Midwest, West Coast) after about 2-5 years, which is when most either return home or move on to a different place.
We've lived in east Ft. Lauderdale going on 3 years now. We had no idea that living here is totally different than visiting. My wife wants to leave ASAP, even leaving the house furnished, for sale. We're annoyed and feel disillusioned. All this said, to anyone contemplating relocating to Fort Lauderdale, do your due diligence and make darn sure you like it here.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,658,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
When you say " out west ", do you mean California?
Primarily California, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
We've lived in east Ft. Lauderdale going on 3 years now. We had no idea that living here is totally different than visiting. My wife wants to leave ASAP, even leaving the house furnished, for sale. We're annoyed and feel disillusioned. All this said, to anyone contemplating relocating to Fort Lauderdale, do your due diligence and make darn sure you like it here.
Funny, that's exactly how I felt the last six or months so I lived there--I just couldn't wait to get out, and I didn't care how much it cost to get out. Other parts of FL aren't as bad as South FL, though.

I'm not sure where you're planning on heading next, but if you enjoy the tropical ambiance of Ft. Lauderdale and aren't willing to give that up, the Naples-Marco Island area is a very viable option, assuming work is not an issue. That area of FL has a rather lousy economy, but it's much safer and less congested than Broward. It also has better weather (less rain, less overcast), prettier scenery (nicer beaches, more greenery, more open spaces), and better people (more Midwesterners, New Englanders, Upstate New Yorkers), too.

Last edited by 8to32characters; 01-25-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
Quote:
Funny you mention that. I've met more native Floridians out West then I ever did in FL, and most see like wonderful people. Gee, if FL was filled with folks like that, I'd probably still live there! Unfortunately, it's not, so it's no wonder why so many native Floridians are either planning to leave or already long gone. Kinda sad.

Tell me about it.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM

111 posts, read 148,309 times
How is car insurance up there and what are mechanic rates

Old 01-26-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Primarily California, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada. Funny, that's exactly how I felt the last six or months so I lived there--I just couldn't wait to get out, and I didn't care how much it cost to get out. Other parts of FL aren't as bad as South FL, though. I'm not sure where you're planning on heading next, but if you enjoy the tropical ambiance of Ft. Lauderdale and aren't willing to give that up, the Naples-Marco Island area is a very viable option, assuming work is not an issue. That area of FL has a rather lousy economy, but it's much safer and less congested than Broward. It also has better weather (less rain, less overcast), prettier scenery (nicer beaches, more greenery, more open spaces), and better people (more Midwesterners, New Englanders, Upstate New Yorkers), too.
This is interesting to us. Maybe we should head out west to California. We used to live out in LA, in the Valley but left after the Northridge Earthquake. A lot of California is a rat race also. We like north Jupiter on Donald Ross and PGA Blvd, bit it's helle expensive there. Homes start at $1M there. We would love to live in the Bear's Club or Old Palm ... My wife has family in Daytona and everything is cheaper there but it's really boring there, deadsville. Naples is worth another visit. We checked out Naples last year but my wife felt really bored there. I, however enjoyed the peace and quiet and good hearted, decent people of Naples. We're early 50s, early retirements, no kids. We can live almost anywhere within reason. We're not wealthy but comfortable. Any more suggestions?

Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM

679 posts, read 878,926 times
It sounds like you and your wife may have some conflicting wants, OP. She likes Daytona, you were bored. You like Naples, she was bored. Typically areas with a slower paced lifestyle and less congestion will have fewer options for entertainment. It sounds like you will have to compromise and either live someplace more urban and congested like Fort Lauderdale, with its attendant opportunities for entertainment, or learn to live with fewer options. What is it that you both love to do in your free time? That should point you or your advisors (us) in a better direction. And good luck! It's not easy having so many options, is it?

Have you checked out the Panhandle yet? Beautiful beaches, but not very cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida