Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 22,964 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at the possibility of relocating within the next 8 months to a year. We currently have a 20 month old son and will most likely have another child (or 2 or 3 if my wife has her way) in the future. I lived briefly in Jacksonville and absolutely loved it, so I'm dying to get back to Florida. I've been doing some research for quite some time to try to determine the best place to have a family. I'm a manager at a large retail chain and I want to continue to move up within that company. It seems the best opportunities seem to be Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area (I could live within an hour of 23 stores) or the Tampa/St. Pete area (within an hour of 10 stores).

Obviously, if it were just my wife and me, Miami/Lauderdale would win hands down. However, I worry about finding a great area that we can afford. I see some areas that look fantastic in S.E. Florida(Coral Springs, Aventura, Coral Gables). Also, I know that every city has its wonderful areas and its not so wonderful areas. I would really appreciate any info on great family areas/activities. Again, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale would be my top pick

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,244 times
We love the panhandle Gulf Coast

Good luck in your decision!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
If you have those choices I would pick Tampa over the Miami area anyday.

We love Ft Lauderdale but would not raise our kids that close to Miami.

And yes the panhandle would probably be my number one choice to move my family to but I need to be more central for various other reasons.

We are looking north and northeast of Tampa right now.

On-da-beach lives in paradise, can't you tell !!

Goodluck and keep up the research on your chosen areas.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:49 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh225 View Post
My wife and I are looking at the possibility of relocating within the next 8 months to a year. We currently have a 20 month old son and will most likely have another child (or 2 or 3 if my wife has her way) in the future. I lived briefly in Jacksonville and absolutely loved it, so I'm dying to get back to Florida. I've been doing some research for quite some time to try to determine the best place to have a family. I'm a manager at a large retail chain and I want to continue to move up within that company. It seems the best opportunities seem to be Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area (I could live within an hour of 23 stores) or the Tampa/St. Pete area (within an hour of 10 stores).

Obviously, if it were just my wife and me, Miami/Lauderdale would win hands down. However, I worry about finding a great area that we can afford. I see some areas that look fantastic in S.E. Florida(Coral Springs, Aventura, Coral Gables). Also, I know that every city has its wonderful areas and its not so wonderful areas. I would really appreciate any info on great family areas/activities. Again, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale would be my top pick

Thanks in advance!
The question is, where is the hour perimeter most populated with the most stores in MI/FLL?

Going south towards Miami, North towards Boca or evenly divided?

Everyone is going to tell you to live WEST in FLL area so you need to map it from there to the 23 stores. Like Weston, Parkland, Wellington or Coral Springs. That could be a heck of a commute to Miami area though. You also want to allow for traffic in your map so if google map says one hour it could be more depending. I sat in a condo parking lot exit at the miami airport area for about 15-20 minutes one day a couple weeks ago just waiting my turn to drive OUT onto the road and it was about 3 pm for NO APPARENT REASON. Just the nature of the intense traffic in that area. And the extreme density of the population.

Probably you need to come here and test run both areas. Since you child is only a baby the schools per se don't really matter right now other than that usually a good school district means good neighborhoods.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,808 times
I second the Panhandle . Homes extremely affordable further inland and strong Christian Culture which means good ethics, morals, and overall considerate people. Close to beaches and more layed-back.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I second the Panhandle . Homes extremely affordable further inland and strong Christian Culture which means good ethics, morals, and overall considerate people. Close to beaches and more layed-back.

Perfect response!

We have far to many kids without those items and you can see where it is getting us, a generation of kids with no morals and down right hateful.

OP- I was thinking about your post and if I had the choices you have I really believe it would be in the Panhandle for many reasons.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh225 View Post
Again, Miami or Ft. Lauderdale would be my top pick

Thanks in advance!

I have a 15-month old and that area would be the LAST place I would want to live in Florida.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
If you've been following the recent multiple Panhandle political scandals, strong Christian Culture = a whole bunch of Pharisees and moneychangers using the tax collector's office to run their temple on the government dime.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,810 times
Coral Springs is a very nice family friendly city and a stone's throw from Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach areas. It's a pretty big city with everything to offer. Lots of stores and good restaurants. Parts of Ft. Lauderdale are still nice also. Miami is a whole different animal.

The economy and job situation is bad in Florida so you probably should put yourself closest to the most opportunities which sounds like SE Florida and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. I wouldn't chance it.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Coral Springs is nice, and I would also consider Parkland, Weston, SW Ranches, west Davie, Cooper City, west Pembroke Pines and west Miramar. There is nothing wrong with any of those areas for a family. Even in Miami-Dade, Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay are great areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida