Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 AM

790 posts, read 1,269,750 times

Advertisements

Serious question guys. Other than the weather or the climate/beaches is there really any other reason someone would want to live here?
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 02-07-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Some people move to be closer to family that already live in Florida.

Some people like the lower cost of living.

Some people move because no state income tax.

...lower property tax compared to many states.

Some people move because they got new job that is in FL. Or got transferred to a FL position. Right now OfficeMax/Office Depot HQ is closing in Chicago and moving to FL. Those people that want to keep their jobs might move to Florida.

Some people move because of flora and fauna.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
^^^^^^^^^

That about sums it up.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:30 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,316,883 times
Yes a job with a higher pay check. Hubby was paid a crazy bonus check, paid for our entire move and almost doubled his pay to come here and be a regional manager for a large company.

Massive things to do. Inside or outside Florida offers year around activity no other state offers.

Beauty. So much natural beauty, state parks, places like Sunken Gardens, Silver Springs, Rainbow etc are all over the state.

Lower taxes and COL for us.

Access to the best theme parks in the world.

Access to the best beaches in America.

My Allergies are much better. No more sinus infections all winter long!!

So much more I could fill the page.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:32 AM

892 posts, read 1,578,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Yes a job with a higher pay check. Hubby was paid a crazy bonus check, paid for our entire move and almost doubled his pay to come here and be a regional manager for a large company.

Massive things to do. Inside or outside Florida offers year around activity no other state offers.

Beauty. So much natural beauty, state parks, places like Sunken Gardens, Silver Springs, Rainbow etc are all over the state.

Lower taxes and COL for us.

Access to the best theme parks in the world.

Access to the best beaches in America.

My Allergies are much better. No more sinus infections all winter long!!

So much more I could fill the page.

"No other state offers"???????????????????????????????????????

I disagree completely.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Some people move to be closer to family that already live in Florida.

Some people like the lower cost of living.

Some people move because no state income tax.

...lower property tax compared to many states.

Some people move because they got new job that is in FL. Or got transferred to a FL position. Right now OfficeMax/Office Depot HQ is closing in Chicago and moving to FL. Those people that want to keep their jobs might move to Florida.

Some people move because of flora and fauna.
Great list!

Other reasons I moved to Florida:

I finally got to retire and live where I wanted to live.

I have chronic health problems that are intensified/aggravated by the cold.

My doctors advised me to move to Florida and said, "Although moving to Florida won't improve your longevity, it should improve the quality of your life." I found this to be true.

I was just sick and tired of the cold, gray, dreary months of the Midwest.

I love to walk, garden, and do outside activities and in Florida you can enjoy those pursuits on a daily basis.

I prefer to live my remaining days in shorts and flipflops rather than down parkas, thermal underwear, and boots.

I don't want to shovel snow or scrape ice off my car ever again.

I am a beach person and living 15 hours from the beach is no longer tolerable.

I know Florida is far from perfect and it's not for everyone, but for me moving here has been a blessing.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:34 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,733 times
It's a very easy place to blend in. There are so many people moving there from different places. You can be whoever or whatever you want people to believe and nobody will question it. It's a great place to re-invent yourself.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Serious question guys. Other than the weather or the climate/beaches is there really any other reason someone would want to live here?Moderator cut: snip
I enjoy professional sports year around: PGA golf events, major league baseball, NFL, NBA, NHL - here in the Tampa/STP (and Orlando) areas. I also go to college football games (USF).

I enjoy the world class orchestra, Broadway plays every year- have season tickets to both (in Tampa). I used to attend concerts (rock, pop), but those prices are getting outrageous. The Broadway plays cost me $11/tix. Orchestra $15/tix. I have seen Bruce Springsteen here twice in the last four years, Coldplay, Sting, Aerosmith, Santana, Foreigner, Journey, and a few other big name concerts - but again, the prices are getting ridiculous. I also see smaller name groups at Busch Gardens (annual pass).

The golf and tennis year round is another plus -

The fishing is great, from what I hear. I only fish in the nearby lakes, but I see hundreds of people on the Skyway pier here in Tampa/STP daily. I'm guessing they enjoy what they're doing. I know people that enjoy the outdoors - kayak, biking, running. Can't imagine doing a lot of these things even a few hundred miles north of our border - too cold.

Then there's this marijuana deal - maybe we can legalize it so I can participate in some psychoactive produced euphoria before I die......okay, that was a troll post there.

The cost of living here compared to many of the other places I considered moving to is much lower.

I'm ex-military, so there are ample military bases in the state to visit. Small detail as commissary doesn't give much added benefit.

Those are my thoughts-----

Last edited by Keeper; 02-07-2014 at 05:57 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
It's a very easy place to blend in. There are so many people moving there from different places. You can be whoever or whatever you want people to believe and nobody will question it. It's a great place to re-invent yourself.

Wouldnt that be possible no matter where someone relocated to?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,599,036 times
If your rich and do not have to work for the man, then I'd say it's the best place to live if you can stand the weather from April to October and the seasonal snowbirds from October to April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida