Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Well said ! And for most people, I don't think displaying stickers or other representations of your original home are an attempt to get attention. It is just displaying pride in something that is still important to you.
Its hard to get some folks to understand anything but their hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 05:27 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
"You left Hawaii??? For Florida???" That's ALL I heard when I moved back to FL from Asheville NC
Ha and we get ALL THE TIME now because remember Charlotte is Little NY, You left NC for NJ??? I was like He** Yes...lol

Old 02-10-2014, 05:36 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,099 times
There is nothing wrong in loving where you came from, just as long as you don't openly put your current location down. As far as people from New York and other Northern areas displaying stickers and flags of where they are from, guess what? People from everywhere do it. Southerners included. I spent time in different areas of the country and I've seen it all over the place. Another thing to keep in mind is that a person may move to the South from up North and abandon their Northern ways, even root for their new Southern city's sports teams. Guess what? A good portion of that area's natives will always see that person as a Northerner. It can work the other way around too. I will be the first to say that for someone to move somewhere and openly put down their new locale while singing the praises of where they came from is pretty stupid and rude and that in the case of Florida, that if where you came from is so much better, I-95 heads to the Northeast, I-75 heads to the Midwest, and I-10 heads West. all of them pass through other parts of the South, just pick one and go. I will also be the first to welcome anyone who moves in and wants to be there. And if he/she wants to appreciate where they came from and root for out of state sports teams, that's okay too!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
There is nothing wrong in loving where you came from, just as long as you don't openly put your current location down. As far as people from New York and other Northern areas displaying stickers and flags of where they are from, guess what? People from everywhere do it. Southerners included. I spent time in different areas of the country and I've seen it all over the place. Another thing to keep in mind is that a person may move to the South from up North and abandon their Northern ways, even root for their new Southern city's sports teams. Guess what? A good portion of that area's natives will always see that person as a Northerner. It can work the other way around too. I will be the first to say that for someone to move somewhere and openly put down their new locale while singing the praises of where they came from is pretty stupid and rude and that in the case of Florida, that if where you came from is so much better, I-95 heads to the Northeast, I-75 heads to the Midwest, and I-10 heads West. all of them pass through other parts of the South, just pick one and go. I will also be the first to welcome anyone who moves in and wants to be there. And if he/she wants to appreciate where they came from and root for out of state sports teams, that's okay too!

Well said Kemba, but you cant take the hate out of some people. It thrives and grows like a cancer in them.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Ha and we get ALL THE TIME now because remember Charlotte is Little NY, You left NC for NJ??? I was like He** Yes...lol
Charlotte has no where near the amount South FL has.

If I could have the job I have now up there, I'd probably go back up to NC/SC. Maybe one day I can transfer with my company. If I didn't have so much family it'd be an easier decision. I like FL still after all these yrs, but it just seems like there is sooo much headache and BS to put up with. FL isn't that great. It's cool, but I dont think I'd choose to live here had I not had so much family here and been born here. That's just being honest with myself. I think raising kids is better (overall) up there too. And people are so much friendlier, to be honest. You can't beat Greenville SC - the people, the economy, the scenery... the crime and schools could use some help... but I live in FL, so... LOL. I'd live up in Asheville or Greenville SC, those would be my first 2 choices. Again, not knocking FL, but to have nice weather in the winter and the beaches... just not enough to keep me from loving it here. Where I live is nice, and have family here in FL, so it's hard to leave. But that's not to say one day, we won't go back up there. One thing I never got is why certain people keep on and keep on moving to FL, meanwhile they blindly pass over places in GA/SC/NC... The burbs of Charlotte, Atlanta, etc... are in many cases nicer than the ones down here. I just dont understand why they bypass sooo many good places.

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 02-10-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Charlotte has no where near the amount South FL has.

If I could have the job I have now up there, I'd probably go back up to NC/SC. Maybe one day I can transfer with my company. If I didn't have so much family it'd be an easier decision. I like FL still after all these yrs, but it just seems like there is sooo much headache and BS to put up with. FL isn't that great. It's cool, but I dont think I'd choose to live here had I not had so much family here and been born here. That's just being honest with myself. I think raising kids is better (overall) up there too. And people are so much friendlier, to be honest. You can't beat Greenville SC - the people, the economy, the scenery... the crime and schools could use some help... but I live in FL, so... LOL. I'd live up in Asheville or Greenville SC, those would be my first 2 choices. Again, not knocking FL, but to have nice weather in the winter and the beaches... just not enough to keep me from loving it here. Where I live is nice, and have family here in FL, so it's hard to leave. But that's not to say one day, we won't go back up there.
You got that right. There's a whole lot more to life than warmer weather in the winter and beaches. Thats only a $179.00 plane ticket away for us.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
You got that right. There's a whole lot more to life than warmer weather in the winter and beaches. Thats only a $179.00 plane ticket away for us.
Yea, I'm a FL cracker, so escaping the cold weather has never been something I really cared about. The beaches are cool, I still enjoy it. If I didn't have so much family here, I'd say it's just not worth putting up with all the other BS to live here. But with a lot of family here, I cant just say "screw it, I'm outta here." And I do still have love for my home state... I just see a lot of it's warts now LOL.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post

That is a great price Ken.

We have family who drop in for a few days and they pay 225-275 range usually. One did find a great deal flying into Sanford but you have to come and go on specific days only to get it for 149.00 range.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm a FL cracker, so escaping the cold weather has never been something I really cared about. The beaches are cool, I still enjoy it. If I didn't have so much family here, I'd say it's just not worth putting up with all the other BS to live here. But with a lot of family here, I cant just say "screw it, I'm outta here." And I do still have love for my home state... I just see a lot of it's warts now LOL.
Your right...we never should have left NJ in the 1st place but its been a long 7 yrs we were gone and away from my family...but Florida was our favorite place we had lived

Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Your right...we never should have left NJ in the 1st place but its been a long 7 yrs we were gone and away from my family...but Florida was our favorite place we had lived

Part of life is getting the chance to have the opportunity to explore new things and you did.

No one can take those memories and experiences away from you.

You would have always wondered what is it like to ??.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida