Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I agree that drivers are not slow here. But I agree with the OP that sometimes there are some really slow drivers in the left lane. I could not care less about a slow driver in the right lane(s) but in the left it is dangerous and at least down here in Miami area it happens all the time.

At the same time any highway after 11pm the speed limit is automatically up to about 75-80mph at least that is what most people think. And honestly as long as everyone is a decent driver that is not dangerous.
75-80? u serious I do that in mid day traffic. if there is no traffic I got no problems seeing my car fly past 100mph. As a general rule I go the speed limit plus 50% weather it's highway or city traffic.

Last edited by miamihurricane555; 02-11-2014 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
75-80? u serious I do that in mid day traffic. if there is no traffic I got no problems seeing my car fly past 100mph. As a general rule I go the speed limit plus 50% weather it's highway or city traffic.
...because traffic laws pertain to everyone else, not me.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,022 times
Quote:
This guy thinks hes on the lemans curcuit.....I hope you dont take anyone out with you when you lose control of your Hyundai at 105 mph

Old 02-11-2014, 09:01 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
See. Now that is a dumb driver. Or a troll. Either way. Yea not good.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
Hmm Iwas going to add that I think they drive too fast. And I am usually a bit over the speed limit.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM

even when you go a few miles over the speed limit those immature drivers press you - don't give you an inch.....so why bother....time to keep it at 60-70 mph, stress-free driving in the righthand lane.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,861 times
Quote:
How old r u ?

Last edited by ChuteTheMall; 02-11-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsGuy View Post
Why do Florida residents drive so slow?
In a hurry to get somewhere?

Leave earlier next time.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM

116 posts, read 169,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I am not talking superfast. I am talking 10mph over the limit which ask any cop who patrols highway is a completely safe speed and just about the limit which they won't waste their time giving tickets to. People need to understand that the 55mph speed limit is the same speed limit we had in the freaking 1950s. I think our cars are a tad bit safer and able to handle higher speeds Speed limits on easy navigable highways are suppose to be the 85th percentile of speed. Speed limits across the state are too low for todays cars, and traffic conditions.

A slow driver in the left lane clogging traffic, creating packs, and forcing cars to pass on the right is just as dangerous as a car going 15-20mph over the limit.

Pass on the right is inherently more dangerous. This is imbedded in Europeans driving courses and they have safer roads while also having higher speed limits.

Speeding is dumb, especially in traffic, on city streets, in bad weather. I don't speed at 4pm and I never speed on city streets. But nothing you, the government or anybody else says is going to change my mind that as long as I have a safe car and drive properly (which most people don't) going 85mph on the turnpike is a dangerous thing to do. It is not. Ask the Germans who go much faster. Yes on better designed roads but 85mph is not fast for a highway like the turnpike. The problem is people don't know how to drive correctly and have terrible lane discipline. This is a Florida problem but also a national issue. It is much too easy to get a driver license in this country and especially the state of Florida.
Police officers are not in any way qualified to make determinations about how fast people should be traveling, so what I'll do instead of asking a police office, is tell you that everybody driving on Florida highways should be traveling at about the same speed and I'll also tell you that if you had any sense you'd know that traveling on the Florida turnpike at 85mph is extremely dangerous, because there are also people traveling on the very same roadway at 45mph, while sending text messages to their friends.

On most roads where the speed limit is 65 it is perfectly acceptable to be traveling as slow as 45mph, while 85mph or even 70 mph is fully illegal. People are not required to drive in a manner to make it easier for criminals to violate the law, so if you're traveling about the posted speed limit you should slow down. Doing away with speed limits and requiring drivers to purchase proper automobiles, while learning how to properly operate them is a different thing.

The automobiles of today (not built by USA automakers and no suvs or pickup trucks) can easily be safe at higher speeds, all it takes are some competent drivers and properly designed roadways, unfortunately these are two things which are seriously lacking in the USA. What is amazing to me is that there are not more traffic fatalities in the USA, because our roadways are filled with people who should not be driving under any circumstances.

I know all about Germany and their highways, but as you noted, their highways are better and their drivers are far better and better prepared to handle the task of driving. Poor driving and dangerous driving is a complete joke in the USA, while this same attitude will get you beaten in Germany, which is one reason why traffic fatality rates are much lower in Germany than they are in the USA, when they should be identical, but in the USA we like to spend our tax dollars helping billionaires get more money instead of making the nation better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida