Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggsgsr View Post
It almost sounds like renting is a good way to go in some parts of Florida... Depending on your income.... No worries and the prices are reasonable...
It IS the way to go in MOST of Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyCheeze View Post
There are plenty of other places besides FL that don't get snow or much of it. Thats not really a good reason to want to move here.
You could move to Houston or Atlanta and it's cheaper, but you are sacrificing the most basic need of life: air. The smog is horrifyingly disgusting in Texas and N. Georgia. You could move to South Georgia, but maybe you don't like the "southern" attitude and the crime that way can make Florida look serene. You could move to Arizona or New Mexico, and endure the same issues that Florida faces, except with even worse public schools, even more crime,even more illegal immigrants. California does not even need examination. North Carolina might be a relief from property taxes, but they still tax the hell out of you in other places to make up for it.

So yes, there are many good reasons to want to move here if you don't like snow. Those are a few of them. I agree that it isn't really a good reason to not want to move here and you should build something more substantial, but we do offer advantages that some other "sunbelt" states don't have. We also have some major disadvantages. You have to weigh it out for yourself.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-06-2007 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 PM

672 posts, read 905,628 times
Default Downstate is nothing like

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I guess only time will tell.....
It's warmer here today.....18 degrees.

I plan on moving to Florida in the future and try the other extreme.....
Who knows, in a few years I might look up hipnaster and move to Tennessee...!

It's great to have choices......
Today should be a good day.....I'll have an 18 degree breakfast and an 80 degree supper.

Frank D.
Upstate Western NY. Yes, I have been to Buffalo and surrounding areas. My daughter went to school for 2 years in Cortland. We would compare weather all the time. Generally, the MAJOR difference is your unique lake effect snow. Southern NY doesn't get that and subsequently less snow. When my daughter and I would compare notes, we found, never mind the snow, it was around 10 to 20 degrees warmer on LI. Now, that may not sound like a lot, but it can mean the difference of above 32 degrees and rain, instead of below freezing and snow.

I cannot remember the last time we had a White Christmas (8 years ago?). Yes, there was snow before December 25, but most of the time the snow didn't stick (ground too warm), or the temps would warm up into the 40s for a few days and it would all melt. Generally, it wasn't usually until well into January or February until there was much snow. I can remember some winters when we didn't get any snow at all. We were below the snowline because temps were mostly in the 40s and all we got was rain.

Actually, my daughter was went to school for 2 years in Portland, Me, also. In comparing notes all the time, the weather in Portland, Me., was far more similar to LI than when she was in Cortland, NY. On the coastline and not inland?

Anyway, I guess it is all relative. Anything above about 20 degrees is fine with me. Anything above 70 is brutal for me.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
What does anyone care? In Florida you live in the air conditioning 9 months or more per year. Few have the guts to live in real Florida conditions.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
Default Why you want to live in Naples, Fl

Slideshow of pictures, photos, and videos, from webshots

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 AM

21 posts, read 96,103 times
wow! thats a lot of snow! :0) Florida's weather is so nice, but its also nice to be able to come in from the cold and sit by the fire place with a warm cup of hot chocolate or tea... better yet, a glass of wine :0) I love visiting cities where it snows, but I could never get used to it permanately. I love the sunny weather almost all year round. :0)

Old 12-10-2007, 11:58 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
The only point I am making is that I can only speak for myself....I can endure the heat better then I can endure the months of cold.
Wonderfully put I am the exact opposite. Summer in SWFL, which lasts half the year, made me beyond miserable & I have competed in marathons & triatholons & love to be outside. The weather & I just didn't agree in that part of FL. I am finally back home in the snowbelt of OH. Grew up with it; know what to expect; just take it as it comes. We've already had snow, sleet, rain, sun, clouds, temps in the 60s, & some bitter wind chills within the past 3 weeks.

It's just the INDIVIDUAL; their likes & dislikes...what's so wrong with that ? Don't think it's necessary to have an ulcer if someone doesn't like snow or humidity the way "you" do!

Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Wonderfully put I am the exact opposite. Summer in SWFL, which lasts half the year, made me beyond miserable & I have competed in marathons & triatholons & love to be outside. The weather & I just didn't agree in that part of FL. I am finally back home in the snowbelt of OH. Grew up with it; know what to expect; just take it as it comes. We've already had snow, sleet, rain, sun, clouds, temps in the 60s, & some bitter wind chills within the past 3 weeks.

It's just the INDIVIDUAL; their likes & dislikes...what's so wrong with that ? Don't think it's necessary to have an ulcer if someone doesn't like snow or humidity the way "you" do!

Great point that many must understand: It's just the INDIVIDUAL; their likes & dislikes...what's so wrong with that ? Don't think it's necessary to have an ulcer if someone doesn't like snow or humidity the way "you" do

Old 12-11-2007, 06:58 AM

57 posts, read 59,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
What does anyone care? In Florida you live in the air conditioning 9 months or more per year. Few have the guts to live in real Florida conditions.
That's true....I read somewhere that the state of Florida would be inhabitable without the invention of AC.....and i dont mean Analog Conditioner...LOL

Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSpEcT View Post
That's true....I read somewhere that the state of Florida would be inhabitable without the invention of AC.....and i dont mean Analog Conditioner...LOL
I assume you meant uninhabitable. That could be said for many places in the country be it due to air condition or other modern advancements. I would say working in an office in New York city 60 years ago in the height of the summer without hardly a breath of air moving through the city was not so pleasant, but people lived.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 AM

137 posts, read 550,330 times
I just don't think I could handle that kind of weather but it is beautiful to look at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida