Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I miss the seasons sometimes, the views of the mountains, the foggy mornings of New England while getting coffee and doughnuts, the songbirds, that time at evening when the sun is a certain so and you can sit outside or work in the garden. Come Sept when its still over 100 here in SWFL I miss the pumpkins and leaves and apple festivals. Come winter I miss the snow sometimes and the spring of everything coming to life. I'm indifferent mostly to here. If given the opportunity I'd move back up north, as long as it wasnt a paycut or back t a remote region of New Hampshire but I suppose if my husband continued to make the money he does now (we are opposite his line or work pays almost double down here what it does up north) then we have no choice but to stay
I miss those mountains too, sometimes, and feel a need to visit, savor and enjoy that scenery while I am there- but I would rather hang my hat right where we are in Florida.

Maybe when you folks retire, you can be snowbirds? To me, that's the best of both worlds, enjoying the best of what each area has to offer- Florida winters, and New England summers, or whenever it is you feel like being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:44 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Moved down to FL 12 years ago from Philly.

I'm generally glad I did.
Everything isn't perfect in FL tho, let's get that straight.
However, there are times when im at the beach in December....or walking in a beautiful park in January and it's sunny and 79 degrees that im totally glad I did.

However, thereare times (usually in the summer) I miss up north. I like northern Summer. There's a vibe or an energy about them up north. The days seem longer, the lightning bugs, the loud crickets chirping at night, the smell of the trees is even different. The color of the sun is different, I dont know how to describe it but I love northern summers.

Otherwise, I like FL for the most part.
The sun's more intense in Florida than "up north", that's for sure. I'm originally from PA ( though it's been a very long time since I lived there), and when I first moved to Miami ( in 1976), I was amazed to discover how short a time it took for me to get sunburned in Florida. I'll also never forget when I discovered the snow-removal brush I had left on the ledge under the rear view window of my car. This was a combination brush/scraper on a handle, and originally the brush and scraper was red plastic. After a month in the Miami sun ( this was in June, I think), I picked up what was left of that brush. The bristles had turned white and fell out, and the scraper was a light pink and crumbled when I touched it.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:27 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
That is amazing. I seem to be the only one who would rather be somewhere else.
Nope. I've been back in NY for a month now. Family reasons. Hell, don't miss Florida one single bit. Going to get very depressed (other than seeing my cats) when I have to go back. Trying not to even think about going back. Enjoying being out of there while I can.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Hells yes! Adore my life here.

But, Florida is a VERY big state, with a lot of variation. I don't think every part of it will fit everyone. Sometimes I think the problem is the place that people move to, or their expectations.

I have moved something like 10 times in the past 15 years, so whether that was my intended lifestyle or not, it has become apparent to me that I can just pick up and go if something really doesn't suit me.

Most recently, I was in NY for a long time. Then I moved down to Miami for a job, and stayed there 4 years in an apartment. Then the job situation changed, so I moved back up to NY for a year to get myself together while I planned my next big move. I then bought a house in the Keys and became a permanent resident.

But yes, my heart aches for NY. And when I leave, my heart aches for FL. It's just how I am, I love multiple places at once and because nowhere has everything, I need to spend some time in each. I miss every single place I have ever moved away from, even the many that were terrible. Because there was always something great about them that brought me there in the first place and convinced me to stay a while.

Before I moved to Miami, I had never even been there for longer than a day! I had been to FL several times on vacations, and at the time if I could have had my choice of where to live in FL, I would have chosen St. Augustine. But, I applied to the job in Miami sort of for fun not really expecting to get it, and it turned out they really wanted me and made it worth my while to make the blind move. The job was not in the end almost anything like they had claimed it to be, so that part sucked. A lot of the people where I worked were not nice, so that part also sucked. Miami itself turned out to be extremely racist and segregated, and that did not work for me at all because I have very diverse friends and racism is super passe and so last-century. But the tropical part, as I had known all along, was perfect for me. I began making trips to the Keys every few weeks for the entire 4 years, and I discovered it was pretty much everything I wanted.

I have not had the same experiences as a lot of people have, I have made a lot of Florida-born friends and almost never meet anyone from the NE at all. I guess it's because where I tend to live and work I come across more locals and transplants from the Caribbean/South America. Although I made plenty of friends in Miami, I never felt like I belonged there, but always like an outsider - and that is hard. I think people are very hard on people who move from the North, sometimes they give you the impression right away that no matter what you do you'll never belong to the club. Of course, the Keys is like that too - I will never be a Conch even if I live here for the next 90 years. Anybody who moves will know that feeling and not be happy about places that promote it, whether North or South, rural or urban. Everybody wants a chance to fit in where they live.

Florida is complicated because without being that snotty Northerner who compares everything to up North, having lived in multiple places it is only natural to notice what things each place does better. I can't help but notice that there are a lot of things that give people a far better quality of life for less money up North - you can be broke and yet have lots of free museums, diverse (and amazing) cheap restaurants, a top education, great parks, and tons of easy public transportation all at your fingertips. Things are modern and high-tech. But whenever I am North I can't help but notice what is lacking there - tropical weather and culture, SUN, laid-back living that does not feel like you're having a heart attack every morning you get up. The stress up there is unbelievable, and it doesn't matter if you are poor or rich, the stress is crushing for everybody. You could easily have a heart attack in your 20s just from worrying. It's not as bad in towns as cities, but still true.

People in FL are more prone to taking their time (except on the highways, when suddenly they get in an insane hurry for no reason), they can chat for hours and then go out for some music and it's all good, everything is very chill. In Miami at least, most people seem to start the work day at around 10AM, take about 2 hours for a lunch siesta in the middle of the day, and then leave for home by 4:30PM. Work, and studying, are not a priority - life and family are. The slow pace means a very inefficient state, but you can wait your whole life for things to get done right and you won't have a heart attack in the process, you'll be damn happy doing it and probably too busy swimming in the ocean to care. On the other hand, you might get a heart attack from the dearth of fried and unhealthy food as opposed to Northern healthy options, but again... will you care?

People in NY also have nothing to be snobby about when it comes to their hurricane preparedness. I was a few blocks from the ocean during Sandy and it was total chaos, made far worse by the completely inadequate news stations. They are STILL fixing that neighborhood. They could and should learn a LOT from Floridians about building codes and local procedures.

I can content myself with living in the Keys indefinitely for now - so far I love it so much I'm not sure I will ever want to leave (which is not something I've felt about a lot of places). I like that it's quiet, beautiful, quirky, and people don't care who or what you are as long as you're nice. I'm lucky that since I work mostly from home, I can visit other states almost whenever so I don't have to miss anything (or anyone) I used to see too much. I accept that I can lose my house in a hurricane so I'm not sure even that will convince me to move from here.

I don't get why people are pushed to choose only one place to have loyalty to or to appreciate. To me, that comes from people who haven't lived in more than one state. I have lived in several, and they all have good and bad. It's also ridiculous to expect people not to ever miss their original home or some things that were better there (every place has things they're better at than anyone else!). But of course, one needs to move intentionally and find new favorite spots, new friends, and things to adore about the new home state. Talking about how much you hate your neighborhood - especially to your neighbors! - is not cool unless you plan on getting together with them to help contribute to the community. We all have something to learn from each other.

I am hoping to take a road trip around the state soon to get to know every part of my new home state. I have driven through most areas, but not really stayed and learned much about most of them yet. The best way to feel at home is to learn everything you can learn about where you live.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:41 AM

141 posts, read 307,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I was wondering when or if some one would post in this topic saying Florida aint so great, Our family moved there (St Pete)in 1958 from England,i never did like the place,i finally moved elsewhere (Montreal)in the mid 70`s and never regretted that move. i view Florida as an OK place to visit but you couldnt convince me to live there..
Florida is WAY different now than it was in the 70's - HUGELY different, Probably NOTHING like what you think it is.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 AM

515 posts, read 624,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
Hells yes! Adore my life here.

But, Florida is a VERY big state, with a lot of variation. I don't think every part of it will fit everyone. Sometimes I think the problem is the place that people move to, or their expectations.

I have moved something like 10 times in the past 15 years, so whether that was my intended lifestyle or not, it has become apparent to me that I can just pick up and go if something really doesn't suit me.

Most recently, I was in NY for a long time. Then I moved down to Miami for a job, and stayed there 4 years in an apartment. Then the job situation changed, so I moved back up to NY for a year to get myself together while I planned my next big move. I then bought a house in the Keys and became a permanent resident.

But yes, my heart aches for NY. And when I leave, my heart aches for FL. It's just how I am, I love multiple places at once and because nowhere has everything, I need to spend some time in each. I miss every single place I have ever moved away from, even the many that were terrible. Because there was always something great about them that brought me there in the first place and convinced me to stay a while.

Before I moved to Miami, I had never even been there for longer than a day! I had been to FL several times on vacations, and at the time if I could have had my choice of where to live in FL, I would have chosen St. Augustine. But, I applied to the job in Miami sort of for fun not really expecting to get it, and it turned out they really wanted me and made it worth my while to make the blind move. The job was not in the end almost anything like they had claimed it to be, so that part sucked. A lot of the people where I worked were not nice, so that part also sucked. Miami itself turned out to be extremely racist and segregated, and that did not work for me at all because I have very diverse friends and racism is super passe and so last-century. But the tropical part, as I had known all along, was perfect for me. I began making trips to the Keys every few weeks for the entire 4 years, and I discovered it was pretty much everything I wanted.

I have not had the same experiences as a lot of people have, I have made a lot of Florida-born friends and almost never meet anyone from the NE at all. I guess it's because where I tend to live and work I come across more locals and transplants from the Caribbean/South America. Although I made plenty of friends in Miami, I never felt like I belonged there, but always like an outsider - and that is hard. I think people are very hard on people who move from the North, sometimes they give you the impression right away that no matter what you do you'll never belong to the club. Of course, the Keys is like that too - I will never be a Conch even if I live here for the next 90 years. Anybody who moves will know that feeling and not be happy about places that promote it, whether North or South, rural or urban. Everybody wants a chance to fit in where they live.

Florida is complicated because without being that snotty Northerner who compares everything to up North, having lived in multiple places it is only natural to notice what things each place does better. I can't help but notice that there are a lot of things that give people a far better quality of life for less money up North - you can be broke and yet have lots of free museums, diverse (and amazing) cheap restaurants, a top education, great parks, and tons of easy public transportation all at your fingertips. Things are modern and high-tech. But whenever I am North I can't help but notice what is lacking there - tropical weather and culture, SUN, laid-back living that does not feel like you're having a heart attack every morning you get up. The stress up there is unbelievable, and it doesn't matter if you are poor or rich, the stress is crushing for everybody. You could easily have a heart attack in your 20s just from worrying. It's not as bad in towns as cities, but still true.

People in FL are more prone to taking their time (except on the highways, when suddenly they get in an insane hurry for no reason), they can chat for hours and then go out for some music and it's all good, everything is very chill. In Miami at least, most people seem to start the work day at around 10AM, take about 2 hours for a lunch siesta in the middle of the day, and then leave for home by 4:30PM. Work, and studying, are not a priority - life and family are. The slow pace means a very inefficient state, but you can wait your whole life for things to get done right and you won't have a heart attack in the process, you'll be damn happy doing it and probably too busy swimming in the ocean to care. On the other hand, you might get a heart attack from the dearth of fried and unhealthy food as opposed to Northern healthy options, but again... will you care?

People in NY also have nothing to be snobby about when it comes to their hurricane preparedness. I was a few blocks from the ocean during Sandy and it was total chaos, made far worse by the completely inadequate news stations. They are STILL fixing that neighborhood. They could and should learn a LOT from Floridians about building codes and local procedures.

I can content myself with living in the Keys indefinitely for now - so far I love it so much I'm not sure I will ever want to leave (which is not something I've felt about a lot of places). I like that it's quiet, beautiful, quirky, and people don't care who or what you are as long as you're nice. I'm lucky that since I work mostly from home, I can visit other states almost whenever so I don't have to miss anything (or anyone) I used to see too much. I accept that I can lose my house in a hurricane so I'm not sure even that will convince me to move from here.

I don't get why people are pushed to choose only one place to have loyalty to or to appreciate. To me, that comes from people who haven't lived in more than one state. I have lived in several, and they all have good and bad. It's also ridiculous to expect people not to ever miss their original home or some things that were better there (every place has things they're better at than anyone else!). But of course, one needs to move intentionally and find new favorite spots, new friends, and things to adore about the new home state. Talking about how much you hate your neighborhood - especially to your neighbors! - is not cool unless you plan on getting together with them to help contribute to the community. We all have something to learn from each other.

I am hoping to take a road trip around the state soon to get to know every part of my new home state. I have driven through most areas, but not really stayed and learned much about most of them yet. The best way to feel at home is to learn everything you can learn about where you live.
Excellent post and observations.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM

112 posts, read 328,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I can't help but notice that there are a lot of things that give people a far better quality of life for less money up North - you can be broke and yet have lots of free museums, diverse (and amazing) cheap restaurants, a top education, great parks, and tons of easy public transportation all at your fingertips.
You notice better quality of life up north for less money than in Florida???? I think you are romanticizing your experiences up north because, I notice the exact opposite and so has everybody else that I know that has moved here.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:53 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPalmHereIcome View Post
Florida is WAY different now than it was in the 70's - HUGELY different, Probably NOTHING like what you think it is.
I'm there usually 2 times a year visiting friends and family, i know exactly what Florida is all about, as said before,nice place to visit..

Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
"I can't help but notice that there are a lot of things that give people a far better quality of life for less money up North - you can be broke and yet have lots of free museums, diverse (and amazing) cheap restaurants, a top education, great parks, and tons of easy public transportation all at your fingertips."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerveza View Post
You notice better quality of life up north for less money than in Florida???? I think you are romanticizing your experiences up north because, I notice the exact opposite and so has everybody else that I know that has moved here.

While your comment was rude and argumentative, it does not have any impact on my statement, which was indisputable. I gave examples of everything I was referring to.

I taught high school in some of the poorest neighborhoods in the country while in NE cities. My students were flat broke and had rough home lives, but could take public transportation on a school card (free) and easily get to some of the top museums in the world which all have free days. Their public education was significantly more rigorous than the one public school kids can get in FL. They could go to a really great park for free, whereas many of the parks in FL charge for parking or to use some or all of their facilities. And when the day is done they could stop at any culture of food they wanted for some of the best and most authentic food for only $5 a plate.

I taught university students in FL, and in cities here they do not have access to any of those things on the level and with the variety that the North could provide for the same low/free price. That was just a fact. Northern states charge income taxes, and in so doing have outrageous sums of money to put into public works that Florida can't compete with, because Florida doesn't have the same public funds. No one would dispute that, it's just a fact. The North has far better infrastructure and opportunities for the poor who live among the rich, because the rich want nice things and they happen to live close to the poor so the poor happen to be able to use them too because they are public. In Florida public transportation is poor, and rich people live far from the poor so they can't access the same facilities. Many nonprofit organizations will charge individuals admission to make up for the lack of govt. funding. You have to have a car (super-expensive) to get to a restaurant or whatever, and even when you do you tend not to have the dearth of cheap top-quality options that Northern cities have, all very close to each other.

I listed many things that Florida is better at, that were also fact. I love Florida and choose to be here.
But it's silly to act like Florida's perfect, that will not help it to improve as a state to provide better access for all.

Trolling and posting negative comments does not help to make city-data a pleasant website to visit, it does not help the people who come here for information, and it does not help give you a good day either. It just wastes time and energy for everyone. One thing that is unfortunate is that the Florida forums are full of pointless negativity and attacking, which does not represent our state well. Many visitors have commented on this and I think we can do better.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
Separated from the military and moving back to FL where I'm from. Havent found any states that beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida