Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 06:54 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

8,000 students difference from 2006 to 2007 is this another face of the struggling economy?

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...0312/1002/NEWS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,910 times
There are two reasons for fewer students in public schools in Florida - Fewer students and more students in alternative education.

A few years ago there wasn't a for sale sign on my street. In fact, three new homes were built on my block. Now three of the 7 homes on my block are for sale (down from 5 because two of the home owners gave up and took their homes off the market). The state is full of vacant homes owned by the bank. It all adds up to fewer students.

If you know anything about how Florida public education measures up nationally - you know why many parents are electing to school their children at home. Nationally home schooling is growing at 10-15% a year. In addtion to traditional home schooling - online schools are becomming more popular. Florida Virtual School offers a far more challenging curriculum than the school my kids attended.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
My kids completed high school in Florida and are both excelling. I know of many friends that their kids are achieving success after graduating from Florida public schools and have completed post graduate degrees . Yes we do have some problems, but I do believe that we as parents we are part of the problem because some gave up and the family nucleus is no longer in place. We are fortunate that we are not affected by the same problems as many in our state, but we always got to fight for the best interest of our children. If we give up, who is fighting for our kids?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
I don't think its the face of the struggling economy. It is the face of people leaving Florida as that chamber of commerce reports stated last month.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:43 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Partly it is probably home schooling.

If people are leaving Florida, that can only be a good thing. Florida's economic fundamentals just aren't there to support all the people that came into the state. The bullish types love to talk about the record unemployment that Florida has had but they fail to mention the extremely low pay of most of these jobs, or the high costs of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida