Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:43 AM

976 posts, read 1,111,947 times

Advertisements

Yup, that the problem with a place being very popular. People want to leave places behind, and then when they all move to a place (FL) it becomes the place that all those people were running from in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:01 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Yup, that the problem with a place being very popular. People want to leave places behind, and then when they all move to a place (FL) it becomes the place that all those people were running from in the first place.

exactly

Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 PM

17 posts, read 30,303 times
hello, i am from pompano bch fl, been here my whole life and just cannot take the heat and humidity. believe it or not i like cooler weather. i have no problem with temps not getting above 50. i am also interested in the areas you are researching n. ga, tn,nc and was wondering what you have found out. i would love to be in an area where i could see mountain ranges. im a construction plumber, so being in an area with construction is very important too. south florida economy is so terrible. no building. no jobs. 1 of 3 homes in foreclosure. well please get back to me. thank you.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:21 PM

17 posts, read 30,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
Hi, I livee in Boca Raton and Fort lauderdale for 17 years and I love the weather and palm trees, but bought a house in Homosassa because I hate what is happening to South Florida. I am starting to research areas in Noeth Georgia, North carolina and Tennessee for a home maybe during the summer months.
i live in pompano bch fl. been here forever. tired of heat/humidity/no work (im a construction plumber) interested in places you mentioned n.ga,nc,tn. would like mountain views and cooler temps/lower humid then in south florida. dont mind cool to cold weather. what have you found on these areas you mentioned?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
If anyone hates heat, why would they move to NC? I was at an NC beach once in August and it was hot as hell by 10AM. Better move to Canada.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
If anyone hates heat, why would they move to NC? I was at an NC beach once in August and it was hot as hell by 10AM. Better move to Canada.
Because the mountain communities are MUCH cooler than the beach.

Those communities are rarely above 85, and more usually in the 79 to 85 degree range in summer.

Winter however? Bad up there real bad.

Hope this helps

Old 07-19-2009, 02:14 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyo776 View Post
hello, i am from pompano bch fl, been here my whole life and just cannot take the heat and humidity. believe it or not i like cooler weather. i have no problem with temps not getting above 50. i am also interested in the areas you are researching n. ga, tn,nc and was wondering what you have found out. i would love to be in an area where i could see mountain ranges. im a construction plumber, so being in an area with construction is very important too. south florida economy is so terrible. no building. no jobs. 1 of 3 homes in foreclosure. well please get back to me. thank you.
Joeyo

NC unemployment is bad right now and the non-stop building spree and ripping down of every tree in sight has stopped pretty much.

We have houses in foreclosure as well. Actually uptown Charlotte has 2 skyscrapers that were stopped in the middle of building (builder bankrupt)
I do believe however one is getting finished and will be apartments instead of condo's. The only reason our foreclosure rate isn't as bad as Florida's, is because our homes were never overly priced. Meaning if you bought a 300,000 home it was worth it, if you bought a 300,000 home in Florida, it wasn't (most of the time). Not that our values haven't come down, but nothing like Florida, Phoenix AZ, and California.

You would like Asheville, and may or may not find work there. I don't think the building has crashed as bad there, simply because people for some reason want to retire there. I guess they like cold and snow..each his own

Old 07-19-2009, 03:02 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Because the mountain communities are MUCH cooler than the beach.

Those communities are rarely above 85, and more usually in the 79 to 85 degree range in summer.

Winter however? Bad up there real bad.

Hope this helps
They have good jobs in those mountainous areas? I thought Raleigh and Charlotte were the only places that have corporate presence.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:08 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
They have good jobs in those mountainous areas? I thought Raleigh and Charlotte were the only places that have corporate presence.
There are virtually NO jobs in the Asheville area - one only needs to read the forums here. It was/is a resort/hospitality type economy fueled by the real estate boom, and like other vacation/retirement towns jobs are always few and far between. Beautiful place to visit, but difficult to make a living there and yes, winters are COLD!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Joeyo

NC unemployment is bad right now and the non-stop building spree and ripping down of every tree in sight has stopped pretty much.

We have houses in foreclosure as well. Actually uptown Charlotte has 2 skyscrapers that were stopped in the middle of building (builder bankrupt)
I do believe however one is getting finished and will be apartments instead of condo's. The only reason our foreclosure rate isn't as bad as Florida's, is because our homes were never overly priced. Meaning if you bought a 300,000 home it was worth it, if you bought a 300,000 home in Florida, it wasn't (most of the time). Not that our values haven't come down, but nothing like Florida, Phoenix AZ, and California.

You would like Asheville, and may or may not find work there. I don't think the building has crashed as bad there, simply because people for some reason want to retire there. I guess they like cold and snow..each his own
This is very true. We bought our townhouse in NC in 2006. We sold it in April of 2009 while it was vacant for 18k more than we paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida