Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
What's wrong with the snowbirds coming down from the frozen tundra to spend money in Florida, and give the economy a boost?
I don't mind them, except when they're on the roads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I found out they go in early traffic because of golf... always wondered why retires get out on early morning traffic-- the last thing I plan to do when I retiree.... also snow birds come here to die. the funeral directors having the welcoming party now.
FWIW, most people who retire to Florida from northern states don't die in Florida, unless they die suddenly and unexpectedly.

IME, it seems like once most retirees in Florida reach the age at which they can no longer live on their own volition due to health-related reasons, they tend to move back up North to live with their children, grandchildren, or other relatives who can provide care for them. Unless their children/grandchildren followed in the footsteps of their parents/grandparents and moved down to Florida as well, chances are real good those retirees are moving back up North when they become too frail or sickly to care for themselves.

I will have you know that it's pretty difficult, not to mention expensive, to care for an elderly person from afar. You can't provide assistance with activities of daily living--instrumental or not--or take them to physician appointments. If your elderly parent/relative requires a hired home-health aide or needs to be place assisted living or nursing home care, it's expensive and time-consuming traveling down from Illinois or New Jersey to interview home-health companies or private aides or tour skilled nursing facilities, especially if you're still working, caring for a family yourself, and/or on a fixed income.

Also, because you're not a local in said community, since you live in New York or Ohio, you don't have very many personal recommendations from locals themselves about which physicians, hospitals, clinics, skilled nursing facilities, home-health companies, and the like are reputable and provide high quality care. And as someone who has lived in many different places in the US, I can assure you that the most reliable, reputable, high-quality healthcare providers I've had over the years have those that have come with excellent recommendations from long-time locals. But that's another thing, too--Florida is a very transient state, so most communities, especially the retirement communities, don't have many long-time locals, meaning just about everyone else is going to be in the same predicament as you.

So retirees eventually move back up North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Is that humor?

My downstairs neighbor is 85 and does pool aerobics every single day at 8 AM.

How 'bout you?

My Publix has a 96 year old bagger who rides his bike to work and was hired at age 85.

Ya might wanna rethink that "lay around in bed all day" plan.
I'd like to also add that most retirees in Florida are quite active and *seem* to live longer than their counterparts who perpetually remain in the snowy, bitterly cold northern states--I noticed this with very own grandparents compared to their siblings and other older relatives who stayed behind in Rhode Island. I think the very nature of Florida--sunshine and warm weather year-round, lots of recreational opportunities, etc.--seem to attract a more healthy, active-type of retiree to begin with, one that's probably going to live into his her or upper 80's or early 90's anyway. Overall, the weather and culture of northern states is more conducive to inactivity among seniors, IMO.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:28 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AES328 View Post
I don't mind them, except when they're on the roads
Indeed, driving with the average lowbrow residents on the road in Florida is already one step short of having a death wish. The snowbird congestion only amplifies the problem.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:25 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I found out they go in early traffic because of golf... always wondered why retires get out on early morning traffic-- the last thing I plan to do when I retiree.... also snow birds come here to die. the funeral directors having the welcoming party now.

I don't know that they necessarily come to Florida to die, it may happen, but if so I imagine they want their funerals to be held in their home locations.

They also get out early in this neck of the woods to go to breakfast- you'll see the procession of out of state license plates traveling at a leisurely rate north on US 41.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:26 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
IRONY: I just met my new neighbors downstairs from Chicago moving in this week. Vero Beach.

They bought the condo SIGHT UNSEEN online.
Wow, anything's better than where they are, eh?

Old 10-06-2014, 03:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Early snows, snow in Chicago, record cold throughout the Midwest.

Looks like the snowbirds will be flocking south early this year.
you can tell they're already here in the TB/Bradenton area......hassles include more traffic, longer lines at stores, restaurants,....benefits include better economy for our folks who need jobs. Got to take the bad with the good......

Old 10-06-2014, 05:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
It's all good for us...my husband sells rv's...we love snowbirds!!!

Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
They usually come to Daytona about this time anyway for Bike Week, which actually feels more like Bike Month. I know, you wouldn't think they would be snow boids, but the local paper (and a terrible one it is too) had an article last year that said that the average age of the Bike Week visitors was 57! Snow boids, Bike Week folks, they all flock together about the same time over here. Vrooom.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:57 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
This year I've decided to keep a list of the 50 states in my car, and check off each one as I see a license plate from that state. A reporter in the local paper did that last year, and had all but three states by the end of snowbird season. Last season, I even saw a car from Hawaii...

Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 AM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
This year I've decided to keep a list of the 50 states in my car, and check off each one as I see a license plate from that state. A reporter in the local paper did that last year, and had all but three states by the end of snowbird season. Last season, I even saw a car from Hawaii...
I've already seen a Hawaii and an Alaska this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida