Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
This year I've decided to keep a list of the 50 states in my car, and check off each one as I see a license plate from that state. A reporter in the local paper did that last year, and had all but three states by the end of snowbird season. Last season, I even saw a car from Hawaii...
It may be harder to spot all the snowbirds, if they have residency in Florida and have Florida license plates. There are many people in Minnesota that have Florida residency and stay away from Minnesota for six months plus one day. Then they don't have to pay the Minnesota income taxes, which can be a huge savings if you have a large retirement income stream. We sometimes see Florida plates in Minnesota. Some of them are visitors, but some are snowbirds. I don't think I've ever seen a Florida plate in Minnesota in the winter. Nobody from Florida wants to visit Minnesota then, and the snowbirds are gone in Florida or elsewhere in the winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:56 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
well, people. It was nice while it lasted.

Let's all welcome back our precious snowbirds. They can be annoying, but they also contribute so much to the local economy and in turn that benefits us. I mean, we can't help it that we live where people want to spend their winters. It's a reality we all MUST deal with. So, instead of being bitter and angry that ur seeing more NY plates of Ohio plates, or whatever. Be glad they've come to spend their money and take your seat in ur favorite restaurant.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:17 AM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
They're definitely flocking back. My commute times have increased steadily over the past week or two and I'm seeing more out-of-state plates.

It will of course be good for the State's coffers and for big business. As a bonus thousands of people can look forward to increased traffic accidents, police presence and speed traps, as well as low-wage temporary employment for the next few months.

Last edited by OpinionInOcala; 10-07-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
One nice thing...turnover of items at the grocery store is quicker. So you're less likely to find items that are extremely close to their expiration date like you might find during off season.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
well, people. It was nice while it lasted.

Let's all welcome back our precious snowbirds. They can be annoying, but they also contribute so much to the local economy and in turn that benefits us. I mean, we can't help it that we live where people want to spend their winters. It's a reality we all MUST deal with. So, instead of being bitter and angry that ur seeing more NY plates of Ohio plates, or whatever. Be glad they've come to spend their money and take your seat in ur favorite restaurant.
I'm thrilled.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:15 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Just read the Canadians have other foreign buyers beat in the real estate area... I might have missed my moment sigh

Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
They usually come to Daytona about this time anyway for Bike Week, which actually feels more like Bike Month. I know, you wouldn't think they would be snow boids, but the local paper (and a terrible one it is too) had an article last year that said that the average age of the Bike Week visitors was 57! Snow boids, Bike Week folks, they all flock together about the same time over here. Vrooom.
It's actually "Biketoberfest," a 3-day event, which officially starts Thursday and runs through Saturday, as opposed to BikeWeek, a 10-day event, which takes place in March. And the snow "boids' don't start arriving until next month, if then. And most of them aren't "bikers," whatever that means anymore. Most are golfers and some have bikes. They're retirees with discretionary income to be able to buy a $25,000 Harley.

If you pay close attention, most of the license tags on bikes during Biketoberfest are from Florida or surrounding states. It's kind of a low-class, redneck Bikeweek. And if, you'd read the "terrible" local paper, you'd have seen the article with the chamber of commerce spending more $$ to attract bikers from afar for this event. Waste of money.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,964,783 times
I'd rather they keep the money, stay up north and spare me the hassle. Naples has enough money. We'll survive.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:22 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'd rather they keep the money, stay up north and spare me the hassle. Naples has enough money. We'll survive.
So happy you are so well-off that you're able to put off visitors with your attitude. I'm sure your local merchants, hotels & restaurants will be thrilled with your post.

And where is it that you live, actually? Not Naples...Perhaps inland?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:08 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
One nice thing...turnover of items at the grocery store is quicker.
Especially the free coffee at Publix. The snowbird guys gang up on the free coffee so hard that even the homeless guys can't get through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida